You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #7541
Lovable rogue

I agree with you, if someone had for their nickname a name that wasn't blatantly taken from a fictional character, like "James Bond", then I'd go with the assumption it was their actual name and they just weren't very inventive.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #7542
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
Whatever would your poor mother think of you rejecting the name she gave you?
She already knows how I feel about "Scott". I asked her once if she was still under sedation when she named me.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #7543
Bad Influence

Quote:
I agree with you, if someone had for their nickname a name that wasn't blatantly taken from a fictional character, like "James Bond", then I'd go with the assumption it was their actual name and they just weren't very inventive.
True, but that's the case with everyone's nickname. I know the real-life names of several people here, but if I were to meet them in person I'd still call them by their nicknames because that's how I've gotten used to thinking of them. For example, I know Intrepid Homoluden's real name is Beiddie, but I still call him "Trep" when we speak on the phone.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #7544
merely human

Quote:
LOL!! I think you've just insulted Rob.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #7545
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Not really. My nickname choice was made because I'm not particularly inventive. At least not when it comes to forum names, where one has to come up with something that represents oneself without featuring about half a million random numbers like something out of a hotmail email address (with apologies to all those using numbers in their nick). As naming is in no way my forté, I just went with a contraction of my real name, though I suppose I could change it to "Tiberius" or "Westgarth" or something.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #7546
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Karmillo might one day be my real name

I'm still gonna steal my dogs name but I'll probably now make Karmillo my middle name
Old 06-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #7547
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
True, but that's the case with everyone's nickname. I know the real-life names of several people here, but if I were to meet them in person I'd still call them by their nicknames because that's how I've gotten used to thinking of them. For example, I know Intrepid Homoluden's real name is Beiddie, but I still call him "Trep" when we speak on the phone.
LOL! You do realize, don't you, that when we finally meet I'll jump up and grab you in a hug and never let go and you'll have to spend the rest of the day walking around with me hanging off you like some strange necklace.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #7548
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I'd like to interject here, realizing I'm older than most of you. Steve Allen, now dead, was long called Steverino, as in Hi-ho, Steverino. You'd have a hard time separating Steve Reno from Steverino. (pronounced Steev-er-EE-no). Now if you like him or don't mind the association, then nevermind what I've said.

BTW - I'm known as Fairygdmther, FGM, Lynsie, M, and my real name, Marilyn.

Lynsie
Old 06-07-2006, 11:15 AM   #7549
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
As naming is in no way my forté, I just went with a contraction of my real name, though I suppose I could change it to "Tiberius" or "Westgarth" or something.
< considers 'Tibsie' and 'Garthsie' >

Sounds a LOT more charming than the boring 'Robsie'. So what in hell is holding you back? Change your nick!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #7550
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
LOL! You do realize, don't you, that when we finally meet I'll jump up and grab you in a hug and never let go and you'll have to spend the rest of the day walking around with me hanging off you like some strange necklace.
Then I'll have to be sure to coordinate my other accessories with my Beiddie'd necklace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I'd like to interject here, realizing I'm older than most of you. Steve Allen, now dead, was long called Steverino, as in Hi-ho, Steverino. You'd have a hard time separating Steve Reno from Steverino. (pronounced Steev-er-EE-no). Now if you like him or don't mind the association, then nevermind what I've said.
I've no problem with that association. He certainly had his funny moments, and no-one else has ever had the chutzpah to wear a $5 toupee on national television.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-07-2006, 12:06 PM   #7551
Lazy Bee

Quote:
BTW - I'm known as Fairygdmther, FGM, Lynsie, M, and my real name, Marilyn.
We have a saying that goes: Kärt barn har många namn.
Translated something like this: A beloved child has many names.
That explains all you names FGM/Lynsie/Marilyn.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #7552
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
We have a saying that goes: Kärt barn har många namn.
Translated something like this: A beloved child has many names.
That explains all you names FGM/Lynsie/Marilyn.
I don't think it's only your saying.. We have that too.. but then again, if it's very old it has to be your saying.. And if it's even older it must be denmarks..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 06-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #7553
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
"Boutique Scott"? I might be a whole bunch of things, but pretentious isn't one of them.
I was thinking of eliminating the name "Scott" entirely, as I've never cared for it and I don't think it suits me. The world at large seems to agree with me because people call me "Steve" by mistake all the time. I'm okay with "Steve".
As I absolutely fell in love with Reno, Nevada the first time I visited there and I intend to move there someday, I was thinking of including "Reno" as well.
Thus far, I've come up with "SteveReno" and "RenoSteve". I personally prefer the former, but I'm open to suggestions and critiques.
Thoughts?

Please, for goodness' sake! * DON'T * change your name to "Steve". *ANYTHING* but Steve. I'd be reminded too much of my sister's boyfriend (the one that annoys me by saying "1000%" all the time. ).

Seriously, Scott is great. But anything but Steve is fine, I guess.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Last edited by Jazhara7; 06-07-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #7554
merely human

Maybe Sco Tt n EVEda would be good.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #7555
Magic Wand Waver

How about Steven Scott?
Old 06-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #7556
Bad Influence

Quote:
How about Steven Scott?
Nah. I work with a "Steven" already. He's a nice enough kid, but he's somewhat "coolness deficient". Plus I'd really like to ditch "Scott" entirely.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #7557
Magic Wand Waver

B-B-But you won't be Great Scott anymore!

Steve Tahoe? sigh, I suppose I'll get used to it...

Edit - Wait! what's your favorite car? Steve Cadillac?

Last edited by Fairygdmther; 06-07-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #7558
Bad Influence

Steve Lincoln? Ummm...not quite. "Lincoln" would sound better with "Steven" in front of it, but that's a bit too stuffy for me.
Steve Mercury? Hehehe! That has a certain astronaut ring to it.
Steve Dodge? Nah.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #7559
Magic Wand Waver

Steve Maserati?
Steve Ferrari?
Steve Jaguar?
Steve Lamborghini?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #7560
Lovable rogue

Stephen Oldsmobile.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena