You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #6701
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
I can understand the subtitles. When we arrived in Scotland late in the night we had to ask a taxi driver for the directions. (This was right outside Prestwick airport (Ayr)) We actually didn´t understand him at all and drove away in the wrong direction which he noticed. He then drove up in front of us and started waving the right direction with his hand through the window. Such a nice man!
There was a report on TV the other night featuring interviews with several native Glaswegians. I could understand all but one of them, and my main thought while watching the program was "I wonder if Karmillo sounds like any of these people?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
btw is your accent anything like the one from Savannah, Georgia? That´s a very nice southern accent. My friends in N.J, well the hubby comes originally from Savannah.
Not really. I lived in Savannah for three years, and the locals there made fun of my accent when I first arrived. A Savannah accent is slower and broader than mine, and much more similar to the faux Southern accents that dialogue coaches teach actors in Hollywood.
The closest thing to an Alabama accent I've heard on television or in movies came from Josey Scott, the lead singer of the band "Saliva" who plays Rodney Gronbeck on the TNT television series "Wanted". He's originally from Memphis, Tennessee, and that's not too terribly far from here.
Both FGM and Trep have spoken to me at length on the phone, so they might be able to give a more objective description of my accent than I can.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-16-2006, 12:28 PM   #6702
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
There was a report on TV the other night featuring interviews with several native Glaswegians. I could understand all but one of them, and my main thought while watching the program was "I wonder if Karmillo sounds like any of these people?".
More to the point, Was one of those people actaully Karmillo?

Fess up Karmillo. Have you been getting on telly and not telling us?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 05-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #6703
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:

Not really. I lived in Savannah for three years, and the locals there made fun of my accent when I first arrived. A Savannah accent is slower and broader than mine, and much more similar to the faux Southern accents that dialogue coaches teach actors in Hollywood.
The closest thing to an Alabama accent I've heard on television or in movies came from Josey Scott, the lead singer of the band "Saliva" who plays Rodney Gronbeck on the TNT television series "Wanted". He's originally from Memphis, Tennessee, and that's not too terribly far from here.
Both FGM and Trep have spoken to me at length on the phone, so they might be able to give a more objective description of my accent than I can.
I have to agree with Scott - Alabamans have mild drawl with a bit of a twang, though not quite as much as Tennesseans have. Georgians and South Carolinans seem to have more of the pure drawl, where 'oil' and 'all' sound almost identical and each contains 4 syllables. The most unintelligible to be are the Mississippians - y'ahl know Mis-sip? They either stretch out words or cut them short, and once they use localisms, I can't understand them t'all. Scott is very easy to understand, and though I live in Florida now, I spent most of my life in Boston. We drop 'r' at the end of words and add it to words ending in vowels, like 'wata' for water, 'rivah' for river, and 'tomater' for tomato. But Scott's voice is very easy on the ears, and his charming personality is a delight too.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #6704
SamNMax

I shot oln at 4:26.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #6705
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
I didn't pick it; English is my default language.
Southern US English is so far from the norm that when people from England and Scotland are shown speaking on the news here, they're shown with subtitles.

Heh, I actually understood quite a bit of what you wrote there.

I doubt I'd understand it if I heard it, though.

The thing I wrote was in Loonatic, by the way. My own little language. (I still have a little trouble with its grammar, though.)

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #6706
SamNMax

Quote:
Josey Scott has nothing near an Alabama accent.

Oh, you mean on Wanted. Okay, never mind.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:03 PM   #6707
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
The thing I wrote was in Loonatic, by the way. My own little language. (I still have a little trouble with its grammar, though.)
Thank you for providing not only the translation but notes as well .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #6708
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
I didn't pick it; English is my default language.
Southern US English is so far from the norm that when people from England and Scotland are shown speaking on the news here, they're shown with subtitles.
Ive heard that they even have to subtitle scotts when they are on English TV

And no I havent been on TV
I would have probably ran away from them thinking that they were more of those Guranga people trying to sell me Alternative Budhist Rock CDs
Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #6709
all loved up

Ack, I'm slowly going insane.... It shouldn't be this hard to write less than 500 words, but it is! So very hard..... I'm ALMOST finished with every aspect of this damn dissertation, which I'm starting to hate with a firey passion. It's just this critical commentary thing that's getting me a bit lost...
Old 05-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #6710
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

whats it on?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #6711
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm so glad I don't have to worry about these extra-long pieces of work yet .

Old 05-17-2006, 12:16 AM   #6712
Chris Barraclough

I'm so glad I don't have to do essays or exams ever again, bwahahaha!

Oh, but I do have to do real work

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-17-2006, 02:52 AM   #6713
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*ahem*

Old 05-17-2006, 02:55 AM   #6714
Dungeon Master

I pray thee, do not mock me, fellow-student.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:57 AM   #6715
all loved up

Hee hee, the real world awaits me soon... Eep... I only got about 5 hours sleep last night, and spent most of this morning worrying and stressing, but finally, the whole of my creative writing dissertation is done and at the binders! And now I think I'm going to have to crawl into bed for a while....

Ps, Rob, when you do come to do your dissertation, ensure that you plan adequately and have a good idea of what you're going to write about etc- my short story ending took a rapid turnaround once I got past the planning stages, and I struggled to shift the focus.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:57 AM   #6716
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Who needs work?

Old 05-17-2006, 03:01 AM   #6717
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

Terrorists have rigged the Submit button with explosives!!! Pushing it will explode your computer.. i found this out when i pressed it after making this submission and my computer exploded, burning my face beyond recognician!!!

then i had to log on on my mates computer to edit my post to let u all know! and my chest and upper arms were fried and burnt and dropped off!

and the only reason that i can tell u that is because i got my little 8 year old sister to log on her PC and make this change and it blew her head right off!

and then....

oh you get the picture..

JUST DONT PRESS SUBMIT!!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:11 AM   #6718
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT
my chest and upper arms were fried and burnt and dropped off
Great it worked!

*runs off to fiddle with Rob´s computer*
Old 05-17-2006, 03:19 AM   #6719
Dungeon Master

O most pernicious woman!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:45 AM   #6720
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Am not I 'armless enough already?

*guffaw*™