You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #6461
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
alt. 3

?

Look at how much better that is.
This is "Option (alt) 3" on my computer.
£
Not that there isn't a certain charm in a big red "Pounds-Sterling" symbol, mind you.
I checked "Key Caps", and there's no heart symbol that I can find.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #6462
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

He means Alt + 3 on the numpad
Old 05-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #6463
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's a matress with magnets inside. It's not really "magnetic" in the traditional sense.
Does that mean someone could bring along a strong electromagnet and move your mattress and everything on top of it around the room?

If so, does anybody know where I can find a ridiculously large electromagnet and a crane to position outside Jaz's house?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:36 PM   #6464
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
He means Alt + 3 on the numpad
On my computer, the standard number pad symbols have no alternates.
Bear in mind this is an eight year old iMac running OS 9.2.2, so not everything translates directly from PCs.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #6465
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

The alt + num pad numbers goes back to the DOS configuration on PC's. You have to use the right alt key, and hold it down while you press the number, then release, even if it is multiple digits.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #6466
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
The alt + num pad numbers goes back to the DOS configuration on PC's.
The good old ASCII code, I still remember a lot of those. The ones for "áéÃ*óúñÑ" are a given of course.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #6467
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
The alt + num pad numbers goes back to the DOS configuration on PC's. You have to use the right alt key, and hold it down while you press the number, then release, even if it is multiple digits.

?
Standard Apple USB keyboard, no right "Option" ("alt") key. The desk accessory "Key Caps" (in the Apple menu) displays all alternate symbols, and there is no heart. There is, however, an elongated triangle for "alt j" and an Apple symbol for "alt shift k", both of which show up as "?" in posts when I type them although they show up properly in my original text before posting.
Besides, I like the <3 heart as is because it is a gift from a friend.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-11-2006, 01:06 AM   #6468
Chris Barraclough

Stop.......Hammer Time.

Hey Scott, here's a crappy joke just for you

Three dead bodies turn up at the mortuary, all with very big smiles on their faces. The coroner calls the police to tell them what has happened, and the inspector comes to take a look.

"First body: Frenchman, 60, died of heart failure while making love to his mistress. Hence the enormous smile" says the Coroner.
"Second body: "Scotsman, 25, won a thousand pounds on the lottery, spent it all on whisky. Died of alcohol poisoning, hence the smile."
The Inspector asks, "What of the third body?"
"Ah," says the coroner, "this is the most unusual one. Mossie Quinn the redneck from Kerry, 30, struck by lightning."
"Why is he smiling then?" inquires the Inspector.
"He thought he was having his picture taken."

Boom boom!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-11-2006, 02:54 AM   #6469
all loved up

Damn, I've got too much work to do, and keep getting distracted by the eeevil internet. (not to mention the sunshine outside) I've got an overwhelming urge to go on one of my fave sites where there's a thread about lyrics you don't understand and see if anyone's mentioned china in your hand yet! Just had my last seminar ever today and our tutor explained it is about Frankenstein!

Anyway, eeevil internet, I must leave you now, but I'll be back! bwhahahahahahahahaha!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 03:00 AM   #6470
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You won't manage to keep up your internet rejection for long...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:24 AM   #6471
all loved up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
You won't manage to keep up your internet rejection for long...
You're right, I can't....It's just too tempting. (no wonder I was getting rather better grades in first year, the only year I didn't have the internet in my room.)

I'm trying to force myself to finish one particular piece of work, and it's not happening.... And yet I'm so close to getting it done.... However, I still have two 3500 word essays to write in a week... Eek...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:35 AM   #6472
Chris Barraclough

Bloody students, dossing about on the Internet all day, sheesh!

Right, lets see if I won that game on ebay...

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-11-2006, 05:51 AM   #6473
all loved up

Ha ha, I'm not dossing! I've almost finished my dissertation now! (apart from the annoying critical bits, but I've just about done the bulk of the work!)
Old 05-11-2006, 06:05 AM   #6474
Chris Barraclough

Good effort. Ahhh, I remember my final year at uni. I was scared shitless of failing cos I got 47% average in the second year. Unfortunately the way I coped was by drinking lots, which didn't help

Good luck with the essays, at least it's only 1000 words a day, not too much! Now stop slacking!

Old 05-11-2006, 06:18 AM   #6475
all loved up

Woo! I have a finished, semi draft copy of my dissertation! Might add to it a bit more, I've got a bit of leeway, but yay! Thanks for the good luck seebaruk, I'll need it I think.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #6476
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Standard Apple USB keyboard, no right "Option" ("alt") key. The desk accessory "Key Caps" (in the Apple menu) displays all alternate symbols, and there is no heart. There is, however, an elongated triangle for "alt j" and an Apple symbol for "alt shift k", both of which show up as "?" in posts when I type them although they show up properly in my original text before posting.
Besides, I like the <3 heart as is because it is a gift from a friend.
Awww

But the Alt(any alt, right or left) + numpad number isnt like the 'Shift + key with an alternative on them' as no key will appear untill you let go of alt since there are some symbols that require more that one number

Theres loads of symbols like ☻☺☼♣♥♦♪♫═║╒╔╕╖╗╘╙╚╛╜╝╞╟╠╡╢╣╤╥╦╧╨╩╪╫╬←↑→↓↔↕↨░▒▓ ۜ۝۞۩

But I think its a windows thing so you might not get any, unless mac has its own. there would be a program called Charmap or soemthing that shows you all the characters that you can get
Old 05-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #6477
Chris Barraclough

No worries, I remember the nightmare that dissertations and essays can be. At least you can celebrate it being finished soon, before getting depressed that you're out in the real world and need to find a job

Old 05-11-2006, 07:05 AM   #6478
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Awww

But the Alt(any alt, right or left) + numpad number isnt like the 'Shift + key with an alternative on them' as no key will appear untill you let go of alt since there are some symbols that require more that one number

Theres loads of symbols like ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

But I think its a windows thing so you might not get any, unless mac has its own. there would be a program called Charmap or soemthing that shows you all the characters that you can get
Based on your description, "Key Caps" is the Mac version of "Charmap".
On various shareware discs I've got is a program (character set, actually) called "Dingbats" that includes all manner of unusual symbols one can use, but I've never seen the use for them.

I shudder to think what all advice I'd have gotten if I'd asked how to remove a program or something.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-11-2006, 07:27 AM   #6479
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
and one magnetic matress on my bed too!
I have a friend that used to sell magnetic matresses a while ago. We borrowed one to try it out, but neither Christer, nor I could feel anything. She claimed that the magnets actually would increase the flow of blood (sorry about crappy explanation) in your body. This would make you feel better and muscle pain would go away.
It remember it was really expensive.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #6480
Bad Influence

I would think if the magnets had any effect at all, they would cause more blood than normal to pool on the side of you that's against the mattress.

Share the love.

<3