You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #5661
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Heh, WWE sounds so dodgy. I occasionally look at the Ofcom web site to see which UK TV channels have been in trouble, and what for, and some of the WWE 'storylines' have been in such astonishingly poor taste that Sky Sports have been done for showing them.

Broadcasters are of course asked to justify their actions, but I think after reviewing the episodes in quesrtion, even Sky could only muster a more articulate version of ""

I really have no idea how this is possible, considering how much more liberal than the US we are in general.
???
I must take issue with this statement. There's a big difference between national stereotypes and national realities. There are a vast number of us in the US who are considerably more liberal than the popular media would have the world believe, yet we don't get the press that the ultra-conservative right-wing puritans do because that wouldn't sell papers. Yes, Bush was elected twice, but only by the narrowest of margins in both cases (and there are those who suspect a bit of hanky-panky was involved in the final tally each time).
To the rest of the world, the UK's stereotypical reputation is very different from it's everyday reality as well.
Fortunately, though the miracle of the internet we can have conversations with individuals from countries all over the world, and in doing so we can see that people very rarely conform to their national or regional stereotypes.

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #5662
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
???
I think he meant in the field of broadcasting, Scott .

Given that America was up in arms over Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" it surprises me that some of this WWE stuff - if it's like what has been suggested in this thread - is broadcast...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #5663
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
???
I must take issue with this statement. There's a big difference between national stereotypes and national realities. There are a vast number of us in the US who are considerably more liberal than the popular media would have the world believe, yet we don't get the press that the ultra-conservative right-wing puritans do because that wouldn't sell papers.
I would probably take issue with my statement as written, too, and I agree with everything you said in reply!

However, what I failed to articulate was that I was talking about broadcasting in particular. Judging by the media's overreaction to the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction", I would have thought there would be more of a backlash against WWE's horrible storylines. I can only assume it's either something that's slipped under the radar of those who would get upset by it, or nobody cares because it's only nudity and swearing that are seen as unacceptable.

As an aside, the Ofcom "broadcast bulletins" are full of smackdowns against UK broadcasters who have taken a US imported programme and shown it unedited - the most common reason being the existence of product placement (illegal here), but there are some examples where it's purely because our views on "taste and decency" seemingly differ, sometimes wildly. WWE is a good example.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #5664
Bad Influence

Oh. Well then. I see your point...now.
The "wardrobe malfunction" is an excellent example: The press went haywire and gave the incident much more attention than the flash of any single breast anywhere has ever deserved, while the average person on the street simply said "Wow. I just saw Janet Jackson's boob", and then went on with their lives and never thought another thing about it.
The Clinton/Lewinsky affair is another great example: Much to the dismay of Kenneth Starr and various news agencies, no-one cared, and the public at large was heartily sick of hearing about it long before the reporting of the ensuing events ceased.

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-25-2006, 12:58 PM   #5665
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Anyway, this thread is now dead. So naff orf!

Old 04-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #5666
Lazy Bee

No it´s not dead. I can see it´s moving.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #5667
The Thread™ will die.

Not if I gouge out your eyes...

Old 04-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #5668
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Not if I gouge out your eyes...
You´re cruel!
Old 04-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #5669
Bad Influence

Thread- I feel happy!
RLacey- You're not fooling anyone, you know.
Thread- I'm getting better!
RLacey- No you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #5670
Chris Barraclough

Look, do us a favour will ya?

*bonks thread on head*

Hoorah!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 04-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #5671
Psychonaut

thread.kill(Thread_must_die!)
Old 04-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #5672
Chris Barraclough

Command not understood.

: Open page - www.bighairymothers.com

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 04-25-2006, 01:16 PM   #5673
Lazy Bee

The thread is having cramps now. Soon it´ll die.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #5674
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

The Loony Empress Jazhara:*calls thread on the phone* Ah, thread, my old friend! I was having a discussion with my doctor. He doesn't believe me that the sled is called "Rosebud". I know it's called that, the sled is hanging in my office. So I thought you could help me. Go to my office, and look what the name of the sled is, will you?

Thread: Yeah, sure. No problem.

The Loony Empress Jazhara: Great! I'll give the phone to my doctor. So, what's the name of the sled?

Thread: "Rosebud". *a low growl is heard from behind him, as two Dobermann Pinschers appear.*

The Loony Empress Jazhara: I knew it! Wait, I'll give the phone to my doctor now. Tell him what the sled is called. Now, please.

Thread: "Rosebud". The sled is called "Rosebud". *the growl gets louder, a bark follows. Suddenly, a scream and a thud as though the phone handle was knocked to the ground. Then the outdrawn -doot- as the rest of the phone follows, and the connection is broken*

The Loony Empress Jazhara: Rest in Peace, Thread.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #5675
Bad Influence

*forces thread to eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and to wash them down with extra-pulpy orange juice*
Live, thread, live!

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #5676
Lovable rogue

I once force fed a suffragette. I was the WSPU's worst nightmare.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-25-2006, 01:35 PM   #5677
Bad Influence

WSPU? I'm not familiar with that organization.

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #5678
The Thread™ will die.

Any thread with a sled named "Rosebud" deserves to be killed at the earliest opportunity. By me.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:39 PM   #5679
Lovable rogue

Quote:
WSPU? I'm not familiar with that organization.
Women's Social and Political Union. It was a group in Britain that campaigned for the right for women to vote.
It advocated violence as opposed to The National Union of Women's Suffrage Societies (NUWSS) - who were known as the Suffragists.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #5680
The Thread™ will die.

Still, both movements are pretty dead now. A lot like this thread, come to think of it.