You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #33881
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I've recently started using a menstrual cup in lieu of pads and tampons. Highly recommended.
I've heard about those, but dismissed it right away since I figured it would be very uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSH View Post
If the men aren't already scared off, I'll start with stories about my vasectomy.
I could tell you a story or two about giving birth. Placentas have been a topic in these neighbourhoods before.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #33882
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I've heard about those, but dismissed it right away since I figured it would be very uncomfortable.
On the contrary, you can barely even feel it once it's inside, and it reduces my cramps a little bit, too.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #33883
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Do you have any idea how nasty that is? What is wrong with you people?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #33884
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I've heard menstrual cups are the preferred method of professional ballet dancers for dealing with visits from "Aunt Flo", so I'd imagine they'd have to be both effective and comfy.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #33885
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Do you have any idea how nasty that is? What is wrong with you people?
If you're a straight guy, then dealing with your partner's menstruation is a fact of life- get used to it. It's a perfectly natural and normal part of life and nothing to freak out over. Just wait until you have to make a late-night run to the drug store to buy whatever products your partner prefers... there is an entire aisle devoted to "feminine protection", and all the boxes look disturbingly alike. As a basic tip, either bring the empty box with you or get your partner to write down EXACTLY which make/model/variety she uses (like a prescription), along with a "Plan B" choice in case the drug store is out of the preferred one. This IS NOT a situation where "close enough" will do.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #33886
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
If you're a straight guy, then dealing with your partner's menstruation is a fact of life- get used to it. It's a perfectly natural and normal part of life and nothing to freak out over. Just wait until you have to make a late-night run to the drug store to buy whatever products your partner prefers... there is an entire aisle devoted to "feminine protection", and all the boxes look disturbingly alike. As a basic tip, either bring the empty box with you or get your partner to write down EXACTLY which make/model/variety she uses (like a prescription), along with a "Plan B" choice in case the drug store is out of the preferred one. This IS NOT a situation where "close enough" will do.
I remember when we were in America, we went to the store because my cousin needed "feminine protection" products. So we stood in front of the shelf, and nothing really looked familiar. We also wondered why there were pads for men too...then we realised we were standing in front ot "incontinence protection" shelf.

Come to think of it, it was rather odd overall, to see such a huge shelf of incontinence supplies. I can't recall ever seeing that much in a German store, or any at all, even. Is incontinence very widespread in the US? O.o

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #33887
The Greater

Quote:
Well, there goes any chance of me getting married.

Seriously, I'm straight, but it's easy to understand why some guys are gay.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #33888
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
I remember when we were in America, we went to the store because my cousin needed "feminine protection" products. So we stood in front of the shelf, and nothing really looked familiar. We also wondered why there were pads for men too...then we realised we were standing in front ot "incontinence protection" shelf.

Come to think of it, it was rather odd overall, to see such a huge shelf of incontinence supplies. I can't recall ever seeing that much in a German store, or any at all, even. Is incontinence very widespread in the US? O.o

-
I've noticed the phenomenon you're speaking of (giant sections of relatively small stores devoted entirely to incontinence supplies) and it's a relatively recent thing, only having manifested in the last ten years or so. It may have something to do with the aging baby-boomer population in the US, the youngest of which are now in their mid-sixties.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #33889
Unreliable Narrator

If Men Could Menstruate

'Nuff said.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #33890
Creepy Father Figure

Hey, I have been known to have to make a run for pads and/or tampons several times. When you live in the middle of 3 women you will learn to do what it takes.
I just want to know one thing. Is PMS an excuse to get back at men for everything they have done wrong during the previous month?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #33891
Unreliable Narrator

From here:

Quote:
If an issue comes up a lot during "that time of the month," that doesn't mean she only cares about it once a month; it means she's bothered by it all the time and lacks the capacity, once a month, to shove it down and bury it beneath six gulps of willful silence. Those are the things most worth paying attention to. (By both people involved.)
In other words, you're sort of right.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #33892
Bad Influence

Quote:
From here:
Quote:
If an issue comes up a lot during "that time of the month," that doesn't mean she only cares about it once a month; it means she's bothered by it all the time and lacks the capacity, once a month, to shove it down and bury it beneath six gulps of willful silence. Those are the things most worth paying attention to. (By both people involved.)
In other words, you're sort of right.
Understood, and agreed with. However, I've got to wonder why (some) women bother to "bury with six gulps of willful silence" an issue they feel strongly about?

Here's my theory: Women seem to be determined to credit we men with emotional range and sensitivity that we simply do not possess. Let me see if I can't paint a picture of the man's side of the example used in the linked article...

<Woman goes into the bathroom after Man>
*loud sigh*

What's the matter?

Nothing!

<Man takes "Nothing!" to actually mean "nothing", or at least nothing pertaining to him, and thinks no more about it for the next three weeks... despite hearing that same loud sigh every morning... until the day he's confronted with a shrieking harpy threatening to rip his throat out over an issue he has never heard mentioned before.>

Ladies, here's the deal: We men are like puppies. We can be incredibly adorable without even trying, but we also have a propensity for accruing bad habits. Also like puppies, in order to cure us of our bad habits you have to correct us THE SECOND WE'VE SCREWED UP, not hours, days, or weeks later. Rest assured, when you crawl all over us for something we've been doing long enough for it to become a habit our first thought is "She's gone crazy. I've been doing that for ages and she's never said a word about it before, but today out of nowhere she starts screaming about it".

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #33893
The Greater

I hear you, man. Women are annoying.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #33894
Stalker of Britain

haha This is an awesome conversation.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #33895
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Ladies, here's the deal: We men are like puppies. We can be incredibly adorable without even trying, but we also have a propensity for accruing bad habits. Also like puppies, in order to cure us of our bad habits you have to correct us THE SECOND WE'VE SCREWED UP, not hours, days, or weeks later.
Thing is, most women are brought up to believe that calling people out on their bullshit is bad manners. And it sure as hell doesn't help that women who are upfront about what bothers them are routinely referred to as "bitches", both by men and by other women.

Oh, and referring to men as a group as incapable of emotional sensitivity is pretty damn insulting, if you ask me.

Quote:
I hear you, man. Women are annoying.
Fuck off.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #33896
Bad Influence

Quote:
Thing is, most women are brought up to believe that calling people out on their bullshit is bad manners.
I'd say it depends on the manner in which people are "called out". I see nothing rude about or wrong with telling someone "Please stop doing that" in a polite but firm tone the first time they do it. The second time they do it, tell them to stop doing it again and explain why it is bothersome. If they do it a third time, knowing full well that it is bothersome, then the use of extreme measures such as shouting and/or threats is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. It's not the "calling out" itself that's rude, it's the manner in which it's done that requires some finesse and adherence to established protocol.

Quote:
And it sure as hell doesn't help that women who are upfront about what bothers them are routinely referred to as "bitches", both by men and by other women.
I may vary from the norm in this, but in my book a woman (or man) who is upfront about what bothers her (or him) is a person to cultivated as a friend and someone who's honesty and integrity is something to be applauded.

On the other hand, anyone who is bitter and hateful, finds nothing but fault in everything and everyone around them, and complains relentlessly about things in which they have no stake and over which they can exert no measure of control IS a "bitch"... whether they happen to be male OR female. But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Oh, and referring to men as a group as incapable of emotional sensitivity is pretty damn insulting, if you ask me.
Okay, what I said was...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Here's my theory: Women seem to be determined to credit we men with emotional range and sensitivity that we simply do not possess.
but as it was never my intention to imply that men are entirely lacking in emotional range and sensitivity, perhaps I could have expressed that thought better.

Submitted for your perusal, an amended version:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Here's my theory: Women seem to be determined to credit we men with a breadth of emotional range and a level of sensitivity that we simply do not possess.
Better?

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #33897
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
I see nothing rude about or wrong with telling someone "Please stop doing that" in a polite but firm tone the first time they do it.
True. Would you, however, agree that women and men are held to different standards when it comes to what constitutes "polite" behaviour on their part?

Quote:
On the other hand, anyone who is bitter and hateful, finds nothing but fault in everything and everyone around them, and complains relentlessly about things in which they have no stake and over which they can exert no measure of control IS a "bitch"... whether they happen to be male OR female.
Give me an example, and please refrain from using evolutionary psychology, if possible.

Quote:
Submitted for your perusal, an amended version:

Quote:
Here's my theory: Women seem to be determined to credit we men with a breadth of emotional range and a level of sensitivity that we simply do not possess.
Better?
Actually, it's the "simply do not possess" that I'm least happy with, because I have known and known of men who are just as emotionally expressive and sensitive, if not moreso, than what society paints as the "average" woman. Such men range from famous poets in classic literature to certain regulars on these very forums. I also know women who are so emotionally insensitive, they don't have a clue that anything's wrong if the answer they get to "what's the matter?" is "nothing". I happen to be one of them.

Therefore, I say scrap the entire thing.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #33898
Bad Influence

Quote:
True. Would you, however, agree that women and men are held to different standards when it comes to what constitutes "polite" behaviour on their part?
I will concede that the standards for "socially tolerable" behavior can be quite different between men and women, but the standard for "polite" behavior is equally stringent for both sexes.

Quote:
Give me an example, and please refrain from using evolutionary psychology, if possible.
I'm not sure in what context you mean "evolutionary psychology", so I'll blunder on and see how it goes.
Over the years I've worked with various people who never seemed to see the good in anything. If it was a beautiful sunny day, they complained that the sun hurt their eyes (while indoors, mind you)/the crops are gonna dry out and fail (the few crops not destroyed by the previous week's flooding, that is)/the happy children playing across the street were being too noisy (at 2:00 in the afternoon, not 2:00 am). The only time I ever saw these people smile or laugh was upon their hearing of someone else's misfortune.

Quote:
Actually, it's the "simply do not possess" that I'm least happy with, because I have known and known of men who are just as emotionally expressive and sensitive, if not moreso, than what society paints as the "average" woman. Such men range from famous poets in classic literature to certain regulars on these very forums. I also know women who are so emotionally insensitive, they don't have a clue that anything's wrong if the answer they get to "what's the matter?" is "nothing". I happen to be one of them.
But would you concede that the examples you give (which I don't dispute) are exceptional individuals who fall outside of the norm?

Quote:
Therefore, I say scrap the entire thing.
That, Ma'am, I cannot do. It's my honest opinion based on a lifetime's observations. I will, however, admit that there are exceptions.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 AM   #33899
Creepy Father Figure

Squinky hun. I have to admit that most men aren't as emotionally sensitive as women. The one thing that has always bothered me is men who consider women as property or just sexual conquests. If I hear a guy talking about his companion for the evening as 'my whore' he is about to get an earful.
I really do have to admit that in my home we do have customary roles. I am the head of the household and usually have the final say. I'm not ugly about it and do not completely dismiss Mrs.R in decisions since that would be rude. And if she thinks I made the wrong decision trust me, I hear about it.
Oh, and don't be to hard on Gilli, he has not been probably hasn't exposed to any woman emotionally except his mother.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #33900
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Quote:
Seriously, I'm straight, but it's easy to understand why some guys are gay.
Heh, of course they just are gay to avoid having to deal with feminine hygiene products! If only the catholic church realised this they could market the celibate priesthood better...