You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 03:28 AM   #29961
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Dunno.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:10 AM   #29962
Lazy Bee

You don't know!?
But I'm telling you that I hate spiders inside my house.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #29963
Lovable rogue

Maybe you shouldn't invite them over then.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 AM   #29964
Lazy Bee

The one I had a close encounter with today definitely came uninvited.
But it died a gruesome death. I hope the rumour spreads among its relatives.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:36 AM   #29965
Lovable rogue

Little Miss Muffet, sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey. Along came a spider, and sat down beside her, and scared Miss Muffet away.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Last edited by Jatsie; 07-12-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #29966
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
You have no idea how much I hate big spiders emerging inside my house!
*shudders*
Would you prefer lots of small ones?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #29967
Life and times of...

Quote:
The one I had a close encounter with today definitely came uninvited.
But it died a gruesome death. I hope the rumour spreads among its relatives.
It may be that the message is as such: "The report of my death was an exaggeration".

Spoiler:
Indeed, as such the spider may have features most resembling to those of the late author Mark Twain, when naturally paralleled to the world of the category of fauna most commonly referred to in the English tongue as "spiders".
Old 07-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #29968
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Do you have poisonous spiders in Sweden, Jelena?
Old 07-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #29969
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Do you have poisonous spiders in Sweden, Jelena?
After a quick search on google I've found out that there are a few species that can bite through the skin of a person and cause some discomfort. It's to be compared to a wasp sting I believe. But they are very rare so it seldom happens.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #29970
The Greater

I hate bad AI. I was drawing a bead on a Nazi soldier, and one of my squadmates stood up in front of me just as I pulled the trigger, and thus I blew my buddy's brains out*. And then they penalized me for friendly fire.

*To the extent that one can blow a guy's brains out in a wussy "Teen" rated game. Ooh, look, I just hit a guy with an anti-tank rocket, and he just groaned and slowly fell over! That's soooo realistic!

Last edited by Giligan; 07-12-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #29971
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Uh-huh.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #29972
Lovable rogue

That's such a bitch, especially when you have an automatic weapon going, and a friendly npc decides to strafe infront of it, and suddenly it's MY fault!

Old 07-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #29973
The Greater

Yeah, and then of course, there's the times when you want to kill an NPC and can't. Like trying to empty a .357 Colt Python into Dr. Judith Mossman's forehead when you've got the opportunity, and instead you have to watch helplessly as she kidnaps Eli Vance. And you can't even get on the teleport with them.
Spoiler:
And then at the end of the game everyone's like "Oh, you stabbed us all in the back, but that's okay, because you really were on our side all along." Um, no. I want to terminate her annoying digital existence.

Last edited by Giligan; 07-12-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #29974
Lovable rogue

That annoyed me. In fact most of Half Life 2 annoys me. The whole story seems to be based on creating artificial shortcomings in order to prolong the thing. "Oh no, the teleporter is broken, you're going to have to walk over to the lab." "Oh no, the doctor you've just rescued has been kidnapped, time to go on another dull quest to find him." Now I'm stuck outside some Greco-Roman building, with a shitty rocket launcher, and a distinct lack of ammo, trying to take out near invincible tripods.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #29975
The Greater

It had some bad parts. I loved the story and characters, and most of the gameplay. I agree with you about the quest to rescue the doctor, but that's only because I'm lazy and would rather not have to go out of my way to rescue him.

And I avoided the Strider bit. In fact, you can play through that level without bringing one Strider down. Believe me, if there's a shortcut, I'm doing it. I just ran past the Striders.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #29976
Lovable rogue

Hmm, I'll have to try that then. After the woman told me that they'd dropped a load of rockets in the middle of the square, I assumed it was going to be like the earlier section with the gunships outside of Nova Prospekt, where you had to destroy them before you could progress.

I must say, I'm finding Half Life 2 really rather empty on story. So far I've just been running around from one place to another, without serving any real purpose. Fine, my little trip to rescue Dr Eli apparently caused the resistance to come out, but I still don't feel like I'm doing anything important, or am getting any story in exchange for my efforts.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #29977
Super Moderator

A gaming discussion in Chit Chat? In Thread Must Die to boot.

I'm disappointed in both of you. Hmph.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #29978
Lovable rogue

You fail to notice our unorthodox tact.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #29979
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
You have no idea how much I hate big spiders emerging inside my house!
*shudders*
Speaking of shudders…

A couple of days ago, in my practising session, I took my trombone. I'd left if on a table the day before. When I blew in it, three earwigs flew out of the bell. That was not a pleasant feeling. Later I blew two other earwigs out of my trumpet.

Needless to say, I've since then closed my instrument cases carefully when I'm done playing, and still blow very hard in the instruments at the beginning of a practice session (after checking the mouthpiece).
Old 07-13-2008, 01:26 AM   #29980
Life and times of...

A couple of these, eh?