You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #27241
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
If you're after choral music, go with "God is Gone Up", "Magnificat" and "Lo, the Full Final Sacrifice" (the last of these is a quite epic fourteen minutes long). To be honest, though, it's all about his Cello Concerto, Clarinet Concerto, Five Bagatelles for Clarinet and the quite fabulous "Eclogue" for piano and string orchestra.
I'll look for the clarinet pieces, then. As a wind player, that's extra interesting if they're any good. Do you have a recording to recommend?

Last edited by Trumgottist; 02-02-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #27242
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I happen to think that the cheapy Naxos recording is actually good, though I'm bizarrely bad at judging recordings given that I profess to be musically inclined . You can get all of the clarinet stuff on a single CD, and at ~£5 you don't exactly lose much if it turns out not to be as good a recording as you'd like.

I really ought to get my clarinet out again and learn/relearn the Bagatelles...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #27243
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
No. My firearm knowledge is pretty much limited to military weaponry, and a military pistol needs to have good stopping power in a compact form, which a rifle round doesn't provide. Furthermore, a military pistol has to be able to fire multiple shots quickly, as in an automatic pistol. Also, in an automatic, the magazine is stored in the pistol's butt, and the length of the rifle cartridges would make the grip too long for a hand to hold. I believe the C-96 Mauser used a modified 7.62 rifle round, (not entirely certain, I'll have to check) (the rounds were held in a magazine in front of the pistol grip) but of course it was heavily modified as no pistol could use a full-size rifle round, because besides the other reasons it would be far too large and powerful for a pistol to handle, and it simply would have no efficiency after the first shot. There are the odd experimental pistols that fired rifle rounds, of course, but because none of them were successful or made it into production, there's not much information on them.

The exception would be long-range, single-shot civilian match pistols, some of which I think may use a rifle round. I don't have any names for you, though, I'm afraid.

Ah, well. I was trying to figure out which specific pistol the .223 pistol in Fallout was based on... (most of them are fictional, but some of them, like this one, was at least based on a real one. And the Desert Eagle is kind of obvious, of course.)

Quote:
You've never heard of Finzi? You've never heard of the greatest composer of all time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Finzi

(Karl Jenkins isn't that bad.)

Actually, I was saying I had never heard of Karl Jenkins before last week. I thought "Finzi" was some kind of slang term that I was unfamiliar with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post

J. S. Bach? Well if you're going to name one person as the greatest composer of all time, he's certainly a top candidate.

Bach rules. ^_^

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #27244
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Whatever.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #27245
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Ah, well. I was trying to figure out which specific pistol the .223 pistol in Fallout was based on... (most of them are fictional, but some of them, like this one, was at least based on a real one. And the Desert Eagle is kind of obvious, of course.)
.223 is, obviously, marginally bigger than .222, which is .22 caliber. I've fired guns that are chambered for very small .22 rounds, and it's got absolutely no punch. Doesn't even have recoil, and firing it, you'd think you were popping a balloon. .222, on the other hand, is the same round that the M-16 is chambered for, for example, and it's a big cartridge. A huge (well, relatively so to the small projectile) load, and it'll rip a guy's arm off, practically. So a .223 isn't the sort of round a pistol would fire. Of course, the Fallout series isn't exactly grounded in reality.

Even the Desert Eagle fires smaller catridges. It fires .50 AE, yes, but even that round is pretty short. It's nothing like what, say, an M-2 Browing, or Barret fires.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #27246
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
I happen to think that the cheapy Naxos recording is actually good, though I'm bizarrely bad at judging recordings given that I profess to be musically inclined . You can get all of the clarinet stuff on a single CD, and at ~£5 you don't exactly lose much if it turns out not to be as good a recording as you'd like.
Naxos recordings rarely stand out, but they're rarely bad either. As you say, it's generally a good deal. I see that iTunes has that one, too, so I'll download it right away. I notice the Bagatelles are played with strings on that recording, but everywhere else with piano. Do you happen to know which one is the original?

Quote:
I really ought to get my clarinet out again and learn/relearn the Bagatelles...
I didn't know that you play the clarinet.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #27247
The Thread™ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
Naxos recordings rarely stand out, but they're rarely bad either. As you say, it's generally a good deal. I see that iTunes has that one, too, so I'll download it right away. I notice the Bagatelles are played with strings on that recording, but everywhere else with piano. Do you happen to know which one is the original?
Having checked Boosey and Hawkes' website, it turns out that the original is clarinet and piano (so as I've played some of them), though I really like the string arrangement (which is the recording I have).
Quote:
I didn't know that you play the clarinet.
Sadly, I don't play it very often. I really ought to, but I tend to turn to the piano or organ when I just want to play something.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #27248
Life and times of...

Oh well, that's what you get for buying a dead parrot.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:06 AM   #27249
The Thread™ will die.

Heh.

?

Old 02-03-2008, 03:15 AM   #27250
Game Creator Hobbyist

"Cheer up. Remember what the Monty Python boys say."

Last edited by Trumgottist; 02-03-2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Quote edited for correctness.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 AM   #27251
The Thread™ will die.

Heh.

?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #27252
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Meh.

!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #27253
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Nah.

!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #27254
Game Creator Hobbyist

Wrong answers. You should watch Sliding Doors.

I have now listened through the Finzi CD twice, and I like it. I wouldn't call him the greatest composer ever, though. There are other contemporary British composers I like better. Malcolm Arnold has written a lot of fun, and John Rutter is good for beauty. Then there's the brass band tradition with names such as Philip Sparke and Eric Ball. (And for greatest ever, there are a whole bunch of other contenders for the title.)

Edit: Or the Beatles, for that matter.

Last edited by Trumgottist; 02-03-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #27255
Psychonaut

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #27256
Game Creator Hobbyist

Old 02-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #27257
The Thread™ will die.

John Rutter?

Oh dear...

Old 02-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #27258
Freeware Co-ordinator

I can't believe it's not Rutter.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #27259
The Thread™ will die.

I can't believe it's not better...

Old 02-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #27260
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I can't believe it's not Echidna Milk.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!