You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 AM   #26401
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSH View Post
"Wiat, what?" misspelled Robert, stupidly
Who is this Wiat What and why are they stupidly misspelling Robert?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
But it's not even Advent 4 yet!
Is that any good? I liked the original but I think 2 and 3 showed a downward turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Oh, but it can. Not on every hit, but if you have bad luck, it hits in an angle that does pierce through the thing. And chainmail is easy pickings.
Again, scaring me now.
Quote:
....point of using a sword is stabbing........
Well of course the point is for stabbing. Even I know that you can't stab someone with the edge.

This post bought to you by Pointy-Edged Swords. When you want to stab in all directions.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by stepurhan; 12-20-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 AM   #26402
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

I thought in real swordfights, stabbing was out and slashing was in, because its actually very hard to withdraw a sword from a body, due to suction, and so slashing wins out against multiple opponents
Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #26403
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
I thought in real swordfights, stabbing was out and slashing was in, because its actually very hard to withdraw a sword from a body, due to suction, and so slashing wins out against multiple opponents

True. That's also why it would be pretty hard to pull out Excalibur, even if it was just stuck in the Earth, and not stone.

But you know me, I like poking people with pointy sticks. *poke* *poke*

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #26404
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Yes, but you're mad.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #26405
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
It can't be that hard to pull it out. Just give the thing a good yank.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #26406
Lovable rogue

The key is to kick them in the chest while you pull.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 12-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #26407
The Greater

I doubt a fully armored warror would have time for that. The trick is to shove it up snd down, maker the hole wider than the sword blade.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #26408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
It can't be that hard to pull it out. Just give the thing a good yank.

It sounds easy, but seriously, it's not. You can't comprehend it until you've tried. I don't have that much experience with pulling swords out of people (read: None. I usually leave them stuck in them, and buy a new one... ), but I've lots of experience with pulling arrows out of the targets (they're made of straw that's held together by a large metal collar) at our archery range. Seriously, that can be really tough. Often I have to turn around, put my back against the targer, and pull the thing out overhead, and it's still pretty difficult (no, we can't put our foot against the target, lean back and pull, as that way we could only grip the arrow a the end, and that way the arrow gets bent. But putting your back against the target is similar.). And oftentimes the arrow isn't even buried in that deeply (2 to three inches, most of the time), and still it can be difficult. The thicker the arrow, the harder it gets. Oh, and even though I admit I am not really the strongest, but the fact that my bow is from when I was 16, and thus has the weakest strength they had available, that balances it out. And sometimes the instructors had trouble pulling out my arrows too, and they are quite strong. Oh, and no, the arrows don't have wide tips. The tips are basically just like a sharpened stick.

The head of our club uses a Compound Bow (I think these would be something for you, Giligan, even though no explosives are involved.)

-

Old 12-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #26409
Life and times of...

Seems I started a trend. A trend that ended abruptly.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #26410
The Greater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
It sounds easy, but seriously, it's not. You can't comprehend it until you've tried. I don't have that much experience with pulling swords out of people (read: None. I usually leave them stuck in them, and buy a new one... ), but I've lots of experience with pulling arrows out of the targets (they're made of straw that's held together by a large metal collar) at our archery range. Seriously, that can be really tough. Often I have to turn around, put my back against the targer, and pull the thing out overhead, and it's still pretty difficult (no, we can't put our foot against the target, lean back and pull, as that way we could only grip the arrow a the end, and that way the arrow gets bent. But putting your back against the target is similar.). And oftentimes the arrow isn't even buried in that deeply (2 to three inches, most of the time), and still it can be difficult. The thicker the arrow, the harder it gets. Oh, and even though I admit I am not really the strongest, but the fact that my bow is from when I was 16, and thus has the weakest strength they had available, that balances it out. And sometimes the instructors had trouble pulling out my arrows too, and they are quite strong. Oh, and no, the arrows don't have wide tips. The tips are basically just like a sharpened stick.

The head of our club uses a Compound Bow (I think these would be something for you, Giligan, even though no explosives are involved.)

-
But a bundle of straw is incapable of holding air, thus producing suction. What you're describing sounds the straw catching behind the arrow head, and "holding" it.

I've seen compound bows quite a bit; they're very popular with deer hunters here in the US. The ridiculous "camouflaged macho bow-wielding deer hunter" image kinda soured me to them.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #26411
kamikaze hummingbirds

a good yank would do nicely
*sniggers*
Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #26412
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

*sigh*

Crude.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #26413

Quote:
But a bundle of straw is incapable of holding air, thus producing suction. What you're describing sounds the straw catching behind the arrow head, and "holding" it.

I've seen compound bows quite a bit; they're very popular with deer hunters here in the US. The ridiculous "camouflaged macho bow-wielding deer hunter" image kinda soured me to them.

Well, we don't really have arrow "heads" the way you think. They're basically just pointy sticks. Made of aluminium. So there's no place to catch "behind". Imagine the head of a sharpened pencil, and you know what an arrow point looks like.

You only need "heads" when you're hunting.

Oh, and the compound bow of our club leader is dark blue. Also, he's not very macho. A friendly old man, already quite bald but with some remaining white hair. He let me try his compound bow once. It's amazing. At first it's quite hard to pull, but once you reach a certain point, you could tie back the string with a piece of yarn.

Oh, and the reason why it's used for hunting a lot is that it's compact, yet still is very strong. If your're sneaking up on prey, a big bow is very bad, as you can get caught on the undergrowth, and alert the prey to your presence. On the other hand you need a strong bow (which usually equals out to "a large bow") to get enough strength, or else you have to get closer, which is not always easy. I think the bow might was actually developed for hunting specifically, though you shouldn't quote me on that.

There are still people who hunt with traditional bows, even ones they made themselves. That's where I got the information about back quivers being too loud from. It's all in the Traditional Bowyer's Bible.

-

Old 12-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #26414
Lovable rogue

Fate of the Thread™.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 12-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #26415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post

Never. Ever. Do that. AGAIN.

Or I swear, I'm going to personally hunt you down, and shove a screwdriver up your nose.

-

Old 12-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #26416
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
Click on this link at your own peril.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #26417
The Greater

Why? What sort of content does the link have?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #26418
Super Moderator

Quote:
Why? What sort of content does the link have?
Spoiler:
It takes you to a Rick Astley video but when you try to get out of the page, you have to click on many little faux Windows 'exit' buttons that each contain a lyric line to finally get out of it. I clicked on them quickly so it doesn't take a long time. It was funny but it might annoy some other people.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #26419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Spoiler:
It takes you to a Rick Astley video but when you try to get out of the page, you have to click on many little faux Windows 'exit' buttons that each contain a lyric line to finally get out of it. I clicked on them quickly so it doesn't take a long time. It was funny but it might annoy some other people.

Spoiler:

Don't forget the fact that it makes the window smaller and jump from one corner of the screen to another for some time, making it impossible to click the exit button.

I also didn't see the video

Seriously, I have nothing against Rickrolling, but tht was too much.

-

Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #26420
Psychonaut

To kill the thread press Alt+F4.

Do it now. !!!!