Thread Must Die! - Page 1289 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #25761
kamikaze hummingbirds

Interesting...
Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #25762
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

This Thread™ really has gone downhill since last night. Maybe I should kill it by way of punishment...

DIE, THREAD™!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #25763
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Hey, no fair! I was sleeping!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #25764
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Hmm... no comment.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #25765
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
I'm sure you could figure out a way to make it interesting. Different characters, different gameplay… Who says a sequel has to be more of the same?
True. After all, "HOOK" is one of the best movies ever, if you ask me. Then again, I don't think it still qualifies as a sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
I'M DOWN BUT NOT OUT, BITCHES!

Oh, right. Well, I believe you mean, "Why not just make a new game with a whole new story?" To that I say, hop off the Jersey City ferry and make some characters worth playing as a few times. Like someone as cool as Indiana Jones. It makes it all worth doing as a sequel, unless you're too busy playing Kane & Lynch to do the first game, like me. Learn from my mistakes.

And you can't beat cruise ships in space.

Do you mean you're no longer working on your Adventure game? Damn, now I'm depressed...

Please, please, please do try to work on it again. Pretty please with Wasabi on top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Oh yeah, and just to wrap things up, the downloading is indeed has a lot to do with the ads. I downloaded *t one time and lo behold, a moving add appeared. It still asks for the download and when I don't download it, the add space just says "cannot connect to page" or whatever the English equivalent of the message is. Sometimes just a blank space.

Now this makes me wonder if space can be called blank. I mean first of all, people say that space is empty, but then how can space be empty if we are there? Of course, if space were empty, it should be blank, right? But then space is black - the color associated with blank isn't black, as one might expect from the word "blank", but rather white.

Of course it might just be rhetorical as most things actually. One might say that everything is rethorical as everything happens in your mind actually. In a way nothing is "real" so that you can be sure it is the same for everyone because who knows how people experience something that youu see in one way. Like colors, you can't actually be sure that everyone sees the colors like you do, as there's no way to confirm it. You can't ask how they would describe it as people affiliate the same things with the same color - it has more to do with enviromental influences than actual effects of the color, in a way.

and when we think about that, how can we be sure that anything is real? To go a bit sidetracked (but should that be side-tracked? Well, anyways (or anyway)) some researchers or whatever said that (as least this is what I heard) there's about a 30% chance or something like that that we are actually living in a Matrix-like artificial world.

But back to what I was saying, the other thing that reminded me of is a certain (very good) short story by Dostoevsky, " The Dream of a Ridiculous Man". I read it sort of by chance (I had read Dostoevsky) in school a long time ago, but it had a certain part in it that, if I had to choose one (and then why would I have to make the choice at all, it is not a likely question), has had the most effect on me (of all stuff I've read). Talking about why he should worry about a certain moral dilemma, as if he dies it will not matter anyways as the world will disappear anyways, at least from his part (a very good, very good part. It actually (in a way) took a couple reads (not so much the times read but the time thinking about it) to actually get what it was saying.)

And on the subject of classics, there's now a chance for students to get to see classic Italian movies for free. I thought it was on yesterday and was going to go see Pais* by Roberto Rosselini but alas, it was actually tuesday. The next round (with different movies though) will be monday, I'll have to see if I'll go then. I think each movie gets two shows. I'm especially interested in seeing Fellini's (who is one of my favorite directors) I Vitelloni or The Young and the Passionate or Spivs or whatever...

And... No wait, I lost my thought... I'm sure you get what I was saying though.
*applauds* That was very interesting, and enlightening. I'll have to read that short story soon.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has wondered about how other people perceive colours, and has been a bit sad that there is really no way to check if everyone perceives them the same (except for partial colour blindness like red/green blindness. Did you know that if you are red/green blind, you see blue as a different colour if it's beside green too, for example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
You do realise that nobody (except possibly Jaz and a handful of related eccentrics) will actually bother to read that, don't you?

DIE, THREAD™!

What, you mean people don't read some of the longer posts I make?

(THIS IS PART ONE OF THIS POST. PLEASE PROCEED TO PART 2 BELOW)

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #25766

(THIS IS PART TWO OF THIS POST. PLEASE FIRST READ PART 1 ABOVE)

Quote:
Give me the detonation codes to the world's nuclear arsenals. I need to put us intelligent-life dopplegangers out of our misery.
*sings* And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Quote:
Whatever.

In other news, I just ordered the Region 1 release of Alice in Wonderland. Why the 2-disc remastered version was never released over here is a mystery to me.
I want the 2-disc (or was it 3-disc?) red version of "Beauty and the Beast", but it's Limited Edition so it's selling for horrendous prices these days...

Quote:
I thought they said "Region X" for a reason...

Like, Region 1 shouldn't work in Britain.

Anyway, that's the result I usually get. Trashed two DVD players with Chinese pirated DVDs, out of region.

It's called "Multi-Region" DVD player. Also known as "Region 0" or "Regionless" DVD player. I know it's a difficult concept to wrap your mind around, but we Europeans tend to be rebels.

Seriously, all DVD players should be regionless. The regions were invented for Cinemas so they couldn't show movies before the release date for their country, by acquiring the movie from a different country. But for some stupid reason they applied it to DVDs too, and what's more, they applied it to Game DVDs for consoles too. Luckily there's no such thing for DVDRoms, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I admire the parenthetical ways of your peepuls, well matched and all. But could you move to footnotes* next time? You see, that way, the sentence flows and you need no parentheses at all. And it gives you a chance to use a bunch'a spiffy symbols‡ and wot-not.

As for the whatever that you heard from someone that something like that might be true... I'm up for that, so put me down for it. I'll take two gallons.

Speck

* Like this
‡ Like so.

No, no, and no. Parentheses within parentheses within parentheses etc. is a long and proud tradition in Germanic countries, and I am sure also in Scandinavian countries.

Why do you never complain when I go wild on the brackets and parentheses, by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I spent ages trying to explain this to someone once. They kept just saying that yellow was yellow.
Quote:
We're not related. We just hang out together sometimes.

Quote:
I knew I should have quoted from "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" . No-one ever remembers the book.

"Batty" was also a reference by the way (Rutger Hauer's character name)

Here sir.
Quote:
I'm not batty, people just can't understand my tactical, military genuis.
Well, if you're not batty, then you're barmy. It all comes out the same in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Aw, but that would ruin the whole point now, wouldn't it?

Also, let us herby found the Organization for Random Smileys.

Yep, I agree. It would ruin the whole point.

Quote:
Footnotes using symbols are horrible.

Superscript numbers are far easier to follow.

Nah, you* use** should*** multiple***** asterisks******.

* Yes, you.

** = "employ"

*** That means "You**** are supposed to"

**** See: *

***** As in "more than one".

****** That's those little starry things.

Quote:
Why use footnotes at all? Only Uppist posts posts that long. And Jazzy, but no one really notices.
Read my posts, dammit!

Pretty please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
jazzy is nice.
You are nice too. *hugs*

Quote:
You, my good sir, just made an incredibly obvious statement.
*hugs too* And you are nice as well!

Quote:
I've had a cough for weeks now. Along with the usual allergies, which I thought went away about now.
I don't think allergies go away, really...unless you rub youself in poison ivy regularly in order to get tolerance of it.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, genuis is often misunderstood.
Wow, that was a really bad place for a typo.
You could say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
If I was a straight man, would I want a concubine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Nah, that's probably what the comic sidekick would want.
Yep, he seems to be quite desperate. I always grant him his wish, though I don't really know what a floating skull would do with a concubine...I'm not really sure if I *want* to know, actually. It does seem to involve polish of some kind, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
You can do as Louis Armstrong and sing "my gal" instead.
Quote:
Or as Whoopi Goldberg as Delores Van Cartier as Sister Mary Clarence, and sing "my God".
After years and having seen the movie several times, I now finally get the reference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
But of one would go after their sidekick's concubine and get it, of course.
No, I think the Tiefling girl with the scottish accent would not approve of that. I don't want those punch daggers into my stomach area, despite being immortal and regenerating constantly. Having my intestines removed a third time can't be any more fun (i.e. No fun) than it was the previous times, and it got old after the first time anyway. But despite that, everyone seems to be intent on cutting me open and taking out my intestines and then handing them back to me after I ask them to (sometimes charring them before they do so). Seriously, why can't people be happy with breaking my skull open to look if I hid any magical treasure there?

...come to think of it, I'd much rather they'd not do that either.

Oh, and WHISKEY-TANGO-FOXTROTT?! Why is there a character limit of 10000 characters here?! That's not nearly enough.

-

Last edited by Jazhara7; 11-19-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #25767
Lovable rogue

Gusset.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 11-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #25768

Quote:
Gusset.

What's a gusset?

-

Old 11-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #25769
Lovable rogue

To quote Wiki:
Quote:
In sewing, a gusset is a triangular or square piece of fabric inserted into a seam to add breadth or reduce stress.

Gussets are used in manufacturing of modern tights or pantyhose to add breadth at the crotch seam; these gussets are often made of breathable fabrics for hygiene.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #25770

Quote:
To quote Wiki:

Ah, thank you for clearing that up.

I've learned a new word this day.

-

Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #25771
Lovable rogue

Yay, go forth and use it!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #25772
The Greater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Do you mean you're no longer working on your Adventure game? Damn, now I'm depressed...

Please, please, please do try to work on it again. Pretty please with Wasabi on top?
I'm still making it, but I got so annoyed at walking animations that I took a break. It's firmly in production, though. Fret not.

And I hate Wasabi. Wasabi peas, anways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
It's called "Multi-Region" DVD player. Also known as "Region 0" or "Regionless" DVD player. I know it's a difficult concept to wrap your mind around, but we Europeans tend to be rebels.
Darn, now I want to be a European.

Quote:
Well, if you're not batty, then you're barmy. It all comes out the same in the end.
It comes out to world domination?

Quote:
Read my posts, dammit!

Pretty please?
I don't read your posts, so I can't say yes, sorry.

Quote:
I don't think allergies go away, really...unless you rub youself in poison ivy regularly in order to get tolerance of it.
Well, no, but usually the plants are dead, and the pollen stops affecting me.

Quote:
You could say that.

I could, but is it what another genius might say? I can't rock the genius boat.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #25773
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
I'm still making it, but I got so annoyed at walking animations that I took a break. It's firmly in production, though. Fret not.
If only someone had written a walkcycle generator program.

Oh, hang on. Someone has. Good old SSH. Hope that helps with the walking animations. Now get back to work!!!!
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #25774
The Greater

Does it work well?

Last edited by Giligan; 11-19-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #25775
Freeware Co-ordinator

As far as I'm aware, There are walking animations in SSH's games anyway which must be a good sign. I can't say I've used it myself since I haven't got around to the writing a game myself part.

Give it a go. It must be worth a look at least.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #25776
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Or you could try watching DVDs on your PC using this.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #25777

Quote:

And I hate Wasabi. Wasabi peas, anways.
Meh, Wasabit peas are yuck. Try Wasabit peanuts instead.

Quote:
I see this as my own, private triumph to have caused you to say this.

May I quote you in my signature?

Or at least in the quote thread?

Quote:
It comes out to world domination?
Yeah, it basically does. I mean, I'm the best example of it. I rule the world, and I'm barmy as a spire-god. Dancing with Slaadi you could say.

Quote:
I don't read your posts, so I can't say yes, sorry.
Awww, man.

Quote:
Well, no, but usually the plants are dead, and the pollen stops affecting me.
Ah, well, that makes sense then. I'm lucky, as I don't have any allergies to speak of. Well, except for that one time I ate tons of peanuts and chocolate and had a very bad allergic reaction to it, but I was never able to reproduce it (though of course I wasn't really trying to). But for some time my parents said I should eat mainly white chocolate, which I really disliked. I don't like white chocolate. I like dark chocolate. With as much chocolate as possible. 85 %, and more. Baking chocolate, even!

Quote:
I could, but is it what another genius might say? I can't rock the genius boat.
Ah well, nothing we can do about that then.

-

Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #25778

Quote:
Or you could try watching DVDs on your PC using this.

Shush! My seduction of Giligan to the Dark Side Europe was almost complete!

-

Old 11-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #25779
The Thread™ will die.

It's my duty to liberate people from your evil clutches, vile hellspawn .

Old 11-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #25780

Quote:
It's my duty to liberate people from your evil clutches, vile hellspawn .

So, you'd rather I'd let you drag him off to the abyss, foul demon?

You wish!

-