You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #25681
Life and times of...

Oh yeah, and just to wrap things up, the downloading is indeed has a lot to do with the ads. I downloaded Ă*t one time and lo behold, a moving add appeared. It still asks for the download and when I don't download it, the add space just says "cannot connect to page" or whatever the English equivalent of the message is. Sometimes just a blank space.

Now this makes me wonder if space can be called blank. I mean first of all, people say that space is empty, but then how can space be empty if we are there? Of course, if space were empty, it should be blank, right? But then space is black - the color associated with blank isn't black, as one might expect from the word "blank", but rather white.

Of course it might just be rhetorical as most things actually. One might say that everything is rethorical as everything happens in your mind actually. In a way nothing is "real" so that you can be sure it is the same for everyone because who knows how people experience something that youu see in one way. Like colors, you can't actually be sure that everyone sees the colors like you do, as there's no way to confirm it. You can't ask how they would describe it as people affiliate the same things with the same color - it has more to do with enviromental influences than actual effects of the color, in a way.

and when we think about that, how can we be sure that anything is real? To go a bit sidetracked (but should that be side-tracked? Well, anyways (or anyway)) some researchers or whatever said that (as least this is what I heard) there's about a 30% chance or something like that that we are actually living in a Matrix-like artificial world.

But back to what I was saying, the other thing that reminded me of is a certain (very good) short story by Dostoevsky, " The Dream of a Ridiculous Man". I read it sort of by chance (I had read Dostoevsky) in school a long time ago, but it had a certain part in it that, if I had to choose one (and then why would I have to make the choice at all, it is not a likely question), has had the most effect on me (of all stuff I've read). Talking about why he should worry about a certain moral dilemma, as if he dies it will not matter anyways as the world will disappear anyways, at least from his part (a very good, very good part. It actually (in a way) took a couple reads (not so much the times read but the time thinking about it) to actually get what it was saying.)

And on the subject of classics, there's now a chance for students to get to see classic Italian movies for free. I thought it was on yesterday and was going to go see PaisĂ* by Roberto Rosselini but alas, it was actually tuesday. The next round (with different movies though) will be monday, I'll have to see if I'll go then. I think each movie gets two shows. I'm especially interested in seeing Fellini's (who is one of my favorite directors) I Vitelloni or The Young and the Passionate or Spivs or whatever...

And... No wait, I lost my thought... I'm sure you get what I was saying though.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #25682
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You do realise that nobody (except possibly Jaz and a handful of related eccentrics) will actually bother to read that, don't you?

DIE, THREAD™!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #25683
Lazy Bee

*laughs*

I just skipped reading it. This is Thread Must Die!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 AM   #25684
Life and times of...

*Sigh*

You dull, dull people have no idea what you missed. How drab your lives must be.

And no, it you can't "just read it now".

(Edit): OK, enough about that, but I really must return to my post and say that Dostoevsky's The Dream of a Ridiculous Man is a really good short story.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #25685
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

It is indeed a little bit tl;dr, but I did skim through it. If you give it a bit more intellectual snobbery, it'll be perfect.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #25686
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #25687
Unreliable Narrator

ts;dr
Old 11-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #25688
The Thread™ will die.

dt™

Old 11-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #25689
Unreliable Narrator

e to the x du/dx! e to the x dx!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #25690
Game Creator Hobbyist

"I'm so H A P P Why? Because of you!"
Old 11-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #25691
The Thread™ will die.

w.

dt™!

Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #25692
Lovable rogue

It's time with belling you cheer wonderful year, it's of holiday happy come the all, there'll hosting and be and of ago.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 11-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #25693
The Thread™ will die.

Whatever.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #25694
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Give me the detonation codes to the world's nuclear arsenals. I need to put us intelligent-life dopplegangers out of our misery.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #25695
The Thread™ will die.

Whatever.

In other news, I just ordered the Region 1 release of Alice in Wonderland. Why the 2-disc remastered version was never released over here is a mystery to me.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #25696
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I thought they said "Region X" for a reason...

Like, Region 1 shouldn't work in Britain.

Anyway, that's the result I usually get. Trashed two DVD players with Chinese pirated DVDs, out of region.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #25697
The Major Grubert.

TOO LONG CANT READ IF TOO LONG!!! lol
Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #25698
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
dt™!
slacker
Old 11-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #25699
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
and when we think about that, how can we be sure that anything is real? To go a bit sidetracked (but should that be side-tracked? Well, anyways (or anyway)) some researchers or whatever said that (as least this is what I heard) there's about a 30% chance or something like that that we are actually living in a Matrix-like artificial world.
I admire the parenthetical ways of your peepuls, well matched and all. But could you move to footnotes* next time? You see, that way, the sentence flows and you need no parentheses at all. And it gives you a chance to use a bunch'a spiffy symbols‡ and wot-not.

As for the whatever that you heard from someone that something like that might be true... I'm up for that, so put me down for it. I'll take two gallons.

Speck

* Like this
‡ Like so.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #25700
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Hee hee hee!

(Too bad I don't like writing sequels.)
But it would be easy. Change the backgrounds and a couple of bits of dialogue. No-one would ever notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Like colors, you can't actually be sure that everyone sees the colors like you do, as there's no way to confirm it. You can't ask how they would describe it as people affiliate the same things with the same color - it has more to do with enviromental influences than actual effects of the color, in a way.
I spent ages trying to explain this to someone once. They kept just saying that yellow was yellow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
You do realise that nobody (except possibly Jaz and a handful of related eccentrics) will actually bother to read that, don't you?
We're not related. We just hang out together sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Give me the detonation codes to the world's nuclear arsenals. I need to put us intelligent-life dopplegangers out of our misery.
Don't you have a built-in four year life span? By the way, have you ever seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion or watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by stepurhan; 11-16-2007 at 05:09 AM.