You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat weird firefox question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default weird firefox question

Just now our power went out for a few minutes. (New space heater + heater downstairs blew the circuit breaker.) Firefox was open when it happened. Just now I loaded it up again and my home page had been reset to the Firefox default, and my favorites are gone. My cookies and history are still in tact, but otherwise it's like I just did a new install. I'm getting questions I wouldn't normally get, like if I want Firefox to remember my passwords.

Could this have happened because the power went out? It seems unlikely, but I can't think of another explanation...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Perhaps a file got corrupted that points to these things, it's unlikely, but can happen. I don't use Firefox, but I imagine you could try and find the file that contains your bookmarks/favourites, and then import them back.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:19 PM   #3
Super Moderator

This isn't going to be a helpful post, just commiseration:

The same thing has happened to me a few times where my bookmarks, etc. were lost but it wasn't associated with a power loss. My poor laptop has been freezing and crashing quite a bit lately but it doesn't happen everytime that happens either. You have profiles on Firefox and I don't know how to access them. Occasionally if I get some error in Firefox and it shuts down; when I start it up again, it'll ask me what profile I want to use. Maybe it started a new profile for you. Everything may still be there, you just need to find your old profile. This sort of turned into a helpful post. I'll fiddle with mine and see if I can find a way to access the profiles.

Edit: I don't know if I can tell you specifically what to do but here's the page on your profile folder:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

Here's the page on accessing your profile manager:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

Last edited by Melanie68; 12-02-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:53 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Only one profile in there, and the bookmark file is empty.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
Friendly Server Admin

Sounds like you're maybe a victim of loss from the disk buffer. If the machine was writing to the config files (adding to your history, for example) and the power died suddenly, data that was in the disk's write buffer might have been lost. Or maybe it's a firefox bug. But I'd guess the former if you were actually using Firefox when the power failed.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:11 AM   #6
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Sounds like you're maybe a victim of loss from the disk buffer. If the machine was writing to the config files (adding to your history, for example) and the power died suddenly, data that was in the disk's write buffer might have been lost. Or maybe it's a firefox bug. But I'd guess the former if you were actually using Firefox when the power failed.
I don't know anything about OS X, but shouldn't only new data be in the write buffer (or filestream)? Appending the information?

--Erwin
Old 12-03-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

This was on the PC, so it was XP, not OSX.

It's not that big a deal, as many of the same bookmarks (but not all) are stored in IE. Still, it's weird to me that something like this would cause the bookmarks to disappear. I've never seen anything like it. But my power doesn't go out that often, either.