You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Happy Tofurkey Day!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gknight
Happy Thanksgiving.
I prefer to say happy break. It's got more meaning for me.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:17 PM   #42
merely human

happy break, Spidersie Crusoesie.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #43

Happy Bird Day, to one and all!

Mike
Old 11-24-2005, 10:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
...but I love a good tryptophane high almost as much.
I'm experiencing this right now. I think the alcohol I had before dinner has enhanced it. I feel like snuggling up with someone and going to sleep.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:03 PM   #45
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I'm experiencing this right now. I think the alcohol I had before dinner has enhanced it. I feel like snuggling up with someone and going to sleep.
Pretty cool, huh?

Share the love.

<3
Old 11-25-2005, 04:20 PM   #46
merely human

Well, it came and it went. I was depressed all day while helping big R cook a dinner for four (us and his 'rents). I wish I had been with Nanay & Daddy instead.

I was calling my family every now and then. My two older sisters and their kids converged on my 'rents in South Pasadena, California (along with brother and his family, they live near the 'rents), so it must have been great there. Then I called my other sister in Illinois and they were scrambling with dinner in the kitchen (I could hear my bro-in-law terrorizing my little nephew). When we finally had dinner (it turned out great) with big R's parents it was pleasant and all, but it wasn't the same for me.

The worst thing is that I felt so isolated and big R never once acknowledged how sad I felt, even when I was telling my family over the phone how depressed I was that I wasn't with them and he could hear me saying so, and it was more than obvious I was sad.

Now I don't know about Christmas. Is he gonna neglect me then, too?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #47
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

(((Trep))) I wasn't able to have Thanksgiving with my parents or family either (and I won't be able to spend Christmas with them). It's hard, and I wish I could give you good advice. All I can say is that I talk to Mike a lot about my feelings -- how I miss my family, even though I love his and have fun with them. It's always better when I articulate exactly how I'm feeling during these holidays to him.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #48
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Well, it came and it went. I was depressed all day while helping big R cook a dinner for four (us and his 'rents). I wish I had been with Nanay & Daddy instead.

I was calling my family every now and then. My two older sisters and their kids converged on my 'rents in South Pasadena, California (along with brother and his family, they live near the 'rents), so it must have been great there. Then I called my other sister in Illinois and they were scrambling with dinner in the kitchen (I could hear my bro-in-law terrorizing my little nephew). When we finally had dinner (it turned out great) with big R's parents it was pleasant and all, but it wasn't the same for me.

The worst thing is that I felt so isolated and big R never once acknowledged how sad I felt, even when I was telling my family over the phone how depressed I was that I wasn't with them and he could hear me saying so, and it was more than obvious I was sad.

Now I don't know about Christmas. Is he gonna neglect me then, too?
Trep, hon, many of us were alone on Thanksgiving, and I had to work, too. You got to have a nice dinner with company. Of course you miss your family, but Richard isn't responsible for your sadness, only you can decide how you will feel. You need to recognize your own part in this, and don't assign him that much power over you - you decide what mood you'll be in. Maybe he just didn't want you to bring him down - maybe he was enjoying himself with his parents. I know for me, I've worked enough holidays, and missed plenty of them with family. You kinda have to look at them like they're just another day. You got to talk to your family and probably reminisce a bit. But, like many adults, you live a long way from home now, and missed holidays is just a part of that, that you've got to get used to.

I guess the hard answer is that you gotta suck it up, and make sure that YOU make Christmas something special this year. Take the bull by the horns and do it up big! Decorate as much as you can. Show enthusiasm and have fun. Plan something the two of you can do together and enjoy. It doesn't have to be expensive, just elaborate or involved. Talk yourself into it and go for it.

Lynsie
Old 11-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #49
merely human

Thanks, Lynsie and natalsie. I just got off the phone with my sister after an hour talking to her. It really does help, I was honest with her about my frustration with looking for a job in this small town (I've been looking actively for months but only two have called me - one was terribly unprofessional, the other was in a town 1 hour away and I don't have a car). I think people here probably mistake me as a Muslim extremist terrorist or something and won't see me, but it's more to do with my resume intimidating them - I'm overqualified .

My sister told me I might have to 'dumb down' my resume. Imagine having to hide the fact that I got a degree from one of the top art schools in the world (yes, I have bragging rights! LOL). I joked that I should change my name on the resume to John Smith and include the fact the I was raised Catholic . (That actually was one case in France where a North African man, frustrated after looking for work for long time, finally got calls when he changed his name to a French one - pathetic, ain't it?)

But it was therapeutic to talk to family even though they're far away. I had a great time with big R's 'rents (I especially love his mom, she's damn sweet and always has a funny story about raising big R and his siblings). And the food was so good. So I do have things to be thankful for.