You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What is the scariest book you have read??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Default What is the scariest book you have read??

The "Scariest......." thread is probably wearing thin by now, but I thought I'd make one last thread about scary books.

For me it has to be The Vanishment by the master ghost story teller Jonathan Aycliffe

I read this book during one night at uni because I was too scared to go to sleep. I started it at about tea-time and finally finished it at about 9am the next morning
I was so tired during the early hours but I was too scared to close my eyes.

So, what scary books have you read?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
Friendly Server Admin

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...venturegame-20

Terrifying.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:05 PM   #3

The Descent by Jeff Long. The first chapter was quite chilling, probably because I was hooked and I felt almost like I was there.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Pet Sematery by Stephen King. I've never had a book that took hold of me like that one did. I felt like a hand had reached out from the book and grabbed hold of my shirt, and held on and wouldn't let go till I finished it. I even took it to the bathroom with me while I peed! I've never read another of his books since then - I just couldn't stand that feeling of having a book take control over me. I began it after supper, and finished it about 3:30am when I had to get up for work at 5:30am! There was no choice - I couldn't let it go.

Lynsie
Old 10-31-2005, 09:31 PM   #5
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

For horrific imagery and pure gross-out factor, it's hard to beat Brian Lumley's "Necroscope" series.
Although numerous short stories have scared the bejeebers out of me, the only full-length novel that really affected me was Stephen King's "Christine", mainly because I understood exactly where the main character was coming from.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 10-31-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

One of those Science books for kids..."Disgusting Digestion".

It's not really scary, but disgusting.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:05 PM   #7
Psychonaut

"IT" by Stephen King.

From the paper boat floating down he sewers "We all float down here" to the end years later in the standpipe.

Everyones worst nightmare and the scariest clown in history.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:28 PM   #8
Epinionated.

The Trickster by Muriel Gray. If you want a book that'll grab you by the balls, it's a worthy read. The Trickster is a shapeshifting creature of American Indian legend and he really, really hates people and loves to play "jokes". It's kind of a cross between the Thing and a ghost story. Like King, Gray manages to subvert a comfortable normality by placing something vile and supernatural in it, and succeeds. Too many good bits too!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:40 PM   #9
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

My diary. (It's been a few years since the last time I'm written something in it...) Oh the horror of the old stuff that is in that book.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #10
just visiting

The Shining was very scary & I enjoyed it tremendously. Pet Cemetery had me right up until the very end when I wanted to throw it across the room, but that wouldn't have changed the lame ending.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:27 PM   #11
Epinionated.

Seriously, if you like King check Gray out. Her books are very similar in style, with the warmth of a closed community being ripped apart by something supernatural. The Trickster itself is a nasty, vile creation that hides in the bodies of animals to get around, and has a big problem with humans after witchdoctors tricked it into being trapped it in a mountain... plus the lore behind it is quite interesting and it's good to have a native American main character to follow.