Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Sweden says no to the euro! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/116-sweden-says-no-euro.html)

ragnar 09-14-2003 07:47 AM

Sweden says no to the euro!

Sadly, the Swedish people have voted no to join the euro. I think it is sad that the isolationistic policy has won.

Pappapisshu 09-14-2003 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragnar
I think it is sad that the isolationistic policy has won.

I fully agree. I'm so incredibly disappointed, I don't know what else to say. Damn. :( :sad:

ragnar 09-14-2003 08:31 AM

I wonder if it would be possible to boycott the SEK.

Chrisse 09-14-2003 08:41 AM

The future is now in their hands. I'm not staying when we're going down.

Henke 09-14-2003 09:25 AM

EU = Extra Utgifter

EMU = Extra Mycket Utgifter

I would like to see us leave EU. This many countries can't decide what's good for everybody.

Starflux 09-14-2003 07:15 PM

It's a crying shame. Even the buttkissing of our minister of finance, Zalm, was to no avail. Now he got his mouth all dirty again. Not that he wasn't used to it :rolleyes:

emma 09-14-2003 09:57 PM

I'm pretty cool with the result, voted no myself. This vote kind of made me think that we were voting for either togetherness or independance, each of which not bad. Either way, it sends a message that the basis for emu is a tad too shaky to tag along with for the moment, as far as I see.

Kolzig 09-15-2003 03:43 AM

hmm, I share at least some of your points Emma.

I was against Finland's decision to go for euro.
And I still am.

I just liked our own currency, finnish mark too much.
100 FIM bill was so legendary, green colored and had Jean Sibelius in the front.

Mattsius 09-15-2003 04:03 AM

I'm also very disappointed of the outcome of the election.
I know that I don't live in Sweden so it's not really my business, but hey, I travel to Sweden at least two to three times a year and firstly it's a pain in the ass to have to change currency when you just take a days trip to your neighbor country and secondly it would be much easier to compare different stuffs prizes in Sweden in comparison with Finland's prizes if Sweden also would have the euro.
I know that this is just a little, selfish statement, but one must be a bit selfish once in a while. :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned the Swedes who voted no just made a mistake. Not a huge one, but a mistake nonetheless. In the couple of years coming up Swedes probably won't even notice any negative effects in their economy, but when five or ten years have passed and the Baltic states have joined EMU and possibly Denmark and/or Poland also, the choice they made yesterday will have effects on Sweden's economy, and those effects won't be positive.
This is of course speculation on my behalf, because it's of course very hard to predict what's going to happen in the future, but this is just my assessment of the situation.

Firefoot 09-15-2003 05:30 AM

The euro might be handy if you go on holidays or buy something via the internet... but everyting is so fucking expensive nowadays... :eek:
I'll take a simple example... if you needed to go to the toilet in the Donner in Rotterdam, you used to pay 50 cents (guilders)... now with the € you still pay 50 cents, but that is 2,20371 times as expensive... I know that not everything is 2,20371 times more expensive, but you sure notice it sometimes...

DomStLeger 09-15-2003 11:32 PM

I've made no secret of the fact I'm a euro sceptic, so for me this is good news. Not just for sweden, but for britain as this will have a major impact on our own euro decision.

The euro and the EU are, in my opinion, flawed. The one size fits all policy and the fact that euro will force a federal europe on us worry me. Not only that, but the world is heading down the dangerous road of trade blocs (North American, European and South east Asian) which are very bad for the economically developing world. The sad thing is that pro europeans try to portray anyone euro sceptic as being extremist or xenophobic.

An interesting developement from the swedish vote is that there is a movement, in the UK at least, gathering steam to form an outer group of european countries. People want to form a trade alliance with Sweden and Denmark within the EU and Norway and other countries currently outside it, to work together on trade with the other eu countries without having to join the euro it self (or leave the EU). It seems like an interesting idea which could work well for everyone.

Royal Fool 09-15-2003 11:46 PM

I'm not too fond if the Euro either. Iceland's economy wouldn't be able to handle it in my opinion, so I hope it won't come to that.

(That is, if we actually ever join the EU... which I really want. I just don't want the Euro.)

ragnar 09-16-2003 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomStLeger
I've made no secret of the fact I'm a euro sceptic, so for me this is good news. Not just for sweden, but for britain as this will have a major impact on our own euro decision.

The euro and the EU are, in my opinion, flawed. The one size fits all policy and the fact that euro will force a federal europe on us worry me. Not only that, but the world is heading down the dangerous road of trade blocs (North American, European and South east Asian) which are very bad for the economically developing world. The sad thing is that pro europeans try to portray anyone euro sceptic as being extremist or xenophobic.

An interesting developement from the swedish vote is that there is a movement, in the UK at least, gathering steam to form an outer group of european countries. People want to form a trade alliance with Sweden and Denmark within the EU and Norway and other countries currently outside it, to work together on trade with the other eu countries without having to join the euro it self (or leave the EU). It seems like an interesting idea which could work well for everyone.

I agree that the EU has many flaws, but deep down I believe that cooperation is the way to go. And it is much easier to have an impact on the future of EU inside it than outside it.

DomStLeger 09-16-2003 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragnar
I agree that the EU has many flaws, but deep down I believe that cooperation is the way to go. And it is much easier to have an impact on the future of EU inside it than outside it.

I'd agree with you, except it's so bureaucratic and slow moving on most issues except for integration where it seems to be moving at lightening fast speed. There needs to be top to bottom reform before anything like the euro can work. You now have several large nations very dependant on each other yet taking divergant economic paths. And the stability pact, essential to keeping the euro under control seems to be deteriorating. So it honestly worries me; europe has rushed into something that may cause the very problems it set out to prevent.

ragnar 09-16-2003 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomStLeger
I'd agree with you, except it's so bureaucratic and slow moving on most issues except for integration where it seems to be moving at lightening fast speed. There needs to be top to bottom reform before anything like the euro can work. You now have several large nations very dependant on each other yet taking divergant economic paths. And the stability pact, essential to keeping the euro under control seems to be deteriorating. So it honestly worries me; europe has rushed into something that may cause the very problems it set out to prevent.

But those problems are not due to the euro, but due to poor government and too much self interest in certain countries. They seem to think that the stability pact only apply to all other countries, not themselves.

abbe 09-16-2003 06:37 AM

I'm very satisfied with the outcome.

None of us really know if this is good or not for us at this point, but the no sayers had better arguments imo. I don't want to have anything to do with EU or EMU. We've got enough corrupted bureaucrats up here imho.

I'm sorry for my slighly negative tone, being my first post here and all.

Hi Emma, ppl miss you at JA.

jannar85 09-16-2003 07:07 AM

Isn't that a good thing? :confused:

emma 09-16-2003 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbe
I'm very satisfied with the outcome.

None of us really know if this is good or not for us at this point, but the no sayers had better arguments imo. I don't want to have anything to do with EU or EMU. We've got enough corrupted bureaucrats up here imho.

I'm sorry for my slighly negative tone, being my first post here and all.

Hi Emma, ppl miss you at JA.

I'll take a gander over! Welcome back to AG btw! ;)

abbe 09-16-2003 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emma
I'll take a gander over! Welcome back to AG btw! ;)

Read the "Whatever happened to - " thread at Off Topic.

Thank you, I've already posted more now than the last time. Don't have time for two big forums, I guess we have that in common.