You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Scariest movie ever?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Default Scariest movie ever?

As we are nearing Halloween I thought I'd post something topical
So, what is the scariest movie you have seen?

For me it has to be "The Fog" - I first saw it one christmas when I was about 12 yrs old. I was babysitting for my younger brother at the time and thought I was being all grown up by watching a horror film all alone.
It didn't take me too long to see similarities between the film and where I lived - I was after all quite young and innocent at the time

Of course it didn't help that I lived in a seaside village and the fog was rolling in at the time

Even now, over 20 years later, I am still terrified by that film

So - I've bared my soul and brought back memories of "that" film, and now it's time for you to do the same
Old 10-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I haven't seen hardly any scary films. Other than Doni Darko (sp?) I never did understand the plot. But that bunny was freaky.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-28-2005, 10:00 PM   #3
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

You know, I wasn't exposed to many horror movies as a young child because my parents never watched any and neither did my friends. As a result, the thing I can remember scaring me the most was an episode of '999'[1]!

Well done to the director of the item about the skier who got lost in the Cairngorms during a snowstorm, for successfully scaring me out of going skiing when visibility was even remotely restricted. Everything from the eerie music to the lingering (probably deeply meaningful) shot of the red and green lights at the foot of the drag lift as the unfortunate skier disappeared into the fog gave me the chills!

Incidentally "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" looks very scary - even the trailer shit me up! I'm tempted to watch it but I'm sure I would have nightmares for weeks...

[1] '999' was a British programme which showed real-life rescues through the medium of reconstructions with actors, and interviews with the people involved. They helped us to reconstruct events as they happened! Er...

Anyway, if like Jake you've seen The Day Today...

"Helicopters. Machines with blades for cutting air. Air that's soft and easy to slice - like human beings!"

"He and Lyndsey were about to make a trip neither of them would ever forget - even if their brains were erased with mind rubbers!"

Yeah, that was a skit of 999.

Last edited by Huz; 10-28-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I've always been fascinated by werewolves, and have loved horror movies from a very young age. Both my parents like horror movies as well, so I got to watch a lot of them while I was growing up.
Of all the films I watched, the only one that ever really scared me was "Moon Of The Wolf", a made-for-television movie starring David Janssen about a series of werewolf attacks in rural Cajun Louisiana. All the attack scenes were filmed in first-person perspective, thus adding to the suspense, and the culprit wasn't revealed until the final scene.
Although it was bad on many levels, this film affected me like no other before or since. For years afterward I hated that the lightswitch in my room was on the wall opposite the bed, and I'd flip the switch then make a flying leap for the bed so nothing could grab me before I had the covers up around my throat.
I never told either of my parents about this for fear that they wouldn't let me watch horror movies any more.
I found this movie in a horror collection DVD a few years ago and bought it, but I haven't yet gotten up the nerve to watch it again.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 10-28-2005, 11:24 PM   #5
Psychonaut

I was a huge horror fan as a teenager. Read all the books and saw all the films (even the banned ones like Exorcist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre)

I remember sneaking back into the living room late at night to watch some that at the time put the willies right up me.

There was an one with Giant Rabbits (night of the lepurs) that I had night mares about when I was about 12. Giant Rabbits I saw it years later and it has Rory Calhoon and Deforest Kelly in it and was laughable, but as a small kid.....

Another one was "Snow Beast" which was the abominable snowman terrorises ski resort which was scarier as a kid. Good film.

There was one I can never find out what it was called. I remember it was black and white and it was some kind of aliens that looked like slugs with a big tentacle that they attached to cows and humans it liquified the insides and they sucked it out leaving an empty husk. Can never remember any more of it.

Of course there was the John Carpenter classics "Halloween" "The Fog" "Christine" "They Live" "Prince of Darkness"

and my all time favourite and scarriest film i've ever seen, Still gives me the willies today......."The Thing"

The gruesome aien changes, the chest pumping scene, the tension of not know who isn't or is an alien. Clasic.

Although "Alien" would probably come quite a close second.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:45 PM   #6
Epinionated.

I'd ressurect my own horror thread if I could be arsed.

Ju-On and A Tale of Two Sisters did it for me, though, and The Thing and Alien. Hallowe'en I'm more impressed with to an extent, whilst the Prince of Darkness is a surreal classic.

Mothman Prophecies is a good watch alone at night. It has a wonderful tendency to unnerve, as does the documentary about the real Mothman stories on the DVD. Not only that it's classily put together, and Richard Gere does a good job making us believe in his character of a mourning news reporter without the Gere factor getting in the way. It's a movie that exudes sadness and complete helplessness in the face of unexplainable events, nor does it explain them. Plus Indrid Cold gives the willies.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:00 AM   #7
Schoolgirl From Hell

Try checking out "The Eye". I remember it was quite creepy. It's an Asian horror movie, released around 2001 - a Hong Kong film. Also (I've previously mentioned this in other the thread) Thailand's "Nang Naak" and "Shutter".

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 10-29-2005, 01:03 AM   #8
Epinionated.

The Eye is damn frightening. Especially that one ghost in the school (if I remember rightly) and later in the elevator.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:47 AM   #9
Chris Barraclough

Yeah, Eye is pretty good. The movies that stand out in my mind as giving me nightmares are IT when I was a kid, and Ringu more recently. That really got me into Asian horror. Ju-On and Tale of 2 Sisters are definitely two of the better ones. I love the Tartan Asia Extreme label, they've got some good ones coming up. I missed the goddamn festival when it came to London recently which really pissed me off, grrr!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:10 AM   #10
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I agree that The Eye is a very frightening horror movie, but Dark Water on the other hand is very bad in my opinion.

I believe that the Americanized version of Dark Water is even worse, but I haven't seen that yet, so that's just my prejudiced opinion.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
As we are nearing Halloween I thought I'd post something topical
So, what is the scariest movie you have seen?

For me it has to be "The Fog" - I first saw it one christmas when I was about 12 yrs old. I was babysitting for my younger brother at the time and thought I was being all grown up by watching a horror film all alone.
It didn't take me too long to see similarities between the film and where I lived - I was after all quite young and innocent at the time

Of course it didn't help that I lived in a seaside village and the fog was rolling in at the time

Even now, over 20 years later, I am still terrified by that film

So - I've bared my soul and brought back memories of "that" film, and now it's time for you to do the same
Did you watch The Fog on C4 recently and are you going to see the remake?
Old 10-29-2005, 12:59 PM   #12
SamNMax

You guys are weak.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #13
Banned User

Hello, All--

Though SCARY can have many interpretations, I have decided to run with it. In my list, there exists fantasty-based scary movies and just plain real-life freaky films.

The king of real human horrors: Salo
Cannibal Holocaust (inspired Blair Witch Project)
Tell Me Something (Korean thriller)
Old Boy
Audition (high on blood)
The Changling (low on blood, high on frights)
Rosemary's Baby
Haute Tension
Dead Calm
Cube (the original is the best version)
Don't Look Now
The Hitcher
Last House on the Left
The Prophecy
Wait Until Dark
When a Stranger Calls
Duel
Eraserhead
The Brood
Deliverance
The Devil's Backbone

These are just a few. If you have not seen any of them, try them out. Some of the above are highly controversial films.

Kirk
Old 10-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #14
Chris Barraclough

Old Boy was a very good film and pretty twisted. Audition was also pretty messed up at the end and had some good tense scenes (woman waiting for phone to ring...)
Old 10-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #15
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
Did you watch The Fog on C4 recently and are you going to see the remake?
Hehe
I started to watch it but I was alone in the house with the lights off and I just had to switch channels
I really can't explain it - I know it's not real but after 20 years it still gives me the willies

I'm not sure how good the remake will be, but if I can persuade a large group of friends to go to the cinema with me then I probably will
Old 10-29-2005, 03:05 PM   #16
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Old Boy was a very good film and pretty twisted. Audition was also pretty messed up at the end and had some good tense scenes (woman waiting for phone to ring...)
I just bought Audition on DVD so I'm looking forward to watching it in the next couple of days.

Asia really seems to have made a fine art out of horror - I don't think I could name a single bad asian horror movie. Outstanding ones imo are The Eye, Dark Water, Ju-On, the Ring trilogy and Phone; possibly also Whispering Corridoors.
I still haven't seen Old Boy and Tale of Two Sisters yet but they're at the top of my list
Old 10-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #17
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Cube (the original is the best version)
Hell yes. And an example of a great, great way to make a low budget movie... it's all acting! And it's really, really awesome. I wouldn't call it the scariest movie ever, but it's still very cool on it's own account.

Mind you, I like Hypercube, too, equally, but for completely different reasons. Even though it's intended a sequel, I just pretend they've no correlation Works wonders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
The Prophecy
I absolutely love this movie... but why do you consider it scary?

What about Alien? No one's mentioned that yet. Gotta throw in a cliché or two, here...!
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 10-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #18
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic

What about Alien? No one's mentioned that yet. Gotta throw in a cliché or two, here...!

Call me weird, but I didn't think Alien was "scary"
Yes, it is one of the all-time great sc-fi movies and there are some moments that make you jump out of your seat!
But, to me, a scary movie is something that stays in my mind long after the movie has finished - it stops me from sleeping at night unless the lights are turned on.
Don't get me wrong, I think Alien is a great film, but I don't think it is scary
Old 10-29-2005, 04:56 PM   #19
Live Slow Die Old

Evil Dead used to scare the pants off of me. I've since bought it and watched it a number of times and can't figure out how I was ever actually scared by it. It's definitly funnier than it is frightening.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #20
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Call me weird, but I didn't think Alien was "scary"
Nah, I'd semi-agree. There's lots scarier stuff out there - but still, I didn't think I'd be the first to mention it
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢