You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Scariest movie ever?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #61
SamNMax

From Dusk 'Til Dawn? Sexay, yes. Scary, no.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:52 AM   #62
Chris Barraclough

Quality film, and great gore effects by Sex Machine Tom Savini, but not really scary.

Snapping pussy!
Old 10-31-2005, 04:50 PM   #63
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Suprised no-one's mentioned The Devils Backbone yet. Del Toro's finest film and although not scary, chilling as hell.

Shit! I'd totally forgotten about that film. There are some truly spine tingling moments

If I had to name a top 10 then it would probably be, in no particular order -

The Haunting (original 60s version)
Sixth Sense
The Others
The Woman In Black
Signs
Ring (way scarier than the average hollwood remake)
Dark Water
Ju-On
The Shining
The Fog

Looking at a lot of lists on the internet, I am surprised by a large number of posts - Jaws, Psycho, Silence of the Lambs, Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Alien, The Exorcist
Whilst many of these maybe great slasher movies, and have some shocking moments; scary they are not!

I remember when The Exorcist was re-releasd in the cinemas a good few years ago, I went to see it with my girlfriend. I had heard stories of how scary this film was and that when it was originally shown people threw up whilst watching it, and others ran screaming from the theatre

Well, I went along on Halloween, with my girlfriend, expecting to be terrified - I couldn't have been more wrong
Whilst there were some disturbing scenes involving young girls and crucifixes and rotating heads, there was nothing that scared me
We both left the cinema feeling a little disappointed that we had not spent our money on alcohol instead
Old 10-31-2005, 04:54 PM   #64

The Fly scared me as a kid.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:28 PM   #65
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
I remember when The Exorcist was re-releasd in the cinemas a good few years ago, I went to see it with my girlfriend. I had heard stories of how scary this film was and that when it was originally shown people threw up whilst watching it, and others ran screaming from the theatre

Well, I went along on Halloween, with my girlfriend, expecting to be terrified - I couldn't have been more wrong
Whilst there were some disturbing scenes involving young girls and crucifixes and rotating heads, there was nothing that scared me
I decided to watch this finally tonight, to see what all the fuss was about. You're right, it isn't scary, just unsettling. I'm not sure how much of that is because of subsequent movies that have done the same things better, though.

The one part that did make me jump was where
Spoiler:
she comes scuttling down the stairs
. Freaky!!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:50 AM   #66
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
The one part that did make me jump was where
Spoiler:
she comes scuttling down the stairs
. Freaky!!
That was the one decent bit in the whole film, and I think it was originally cut out of the Exorcist for being too freaky. Makes you wonder how people 30 years ago would have reacted to stuff like Ringu!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:38 AM   #67
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
That was the one decent bit in the whole film, and I think it was originally cut out of the Exorcist for being too freaky. Makes you wonder how people 30 years ago would have reacted to stuff like Ringu!
Was it really? It was the 'director's cut' version from 2000 that I saw. The back of the DVD case listed all the additions, but of course, that's back at Blockbuster... might nip in today to have a look if I get bored enough.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:40 AM   #68
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection
The Fly scared me as a kid.
Heh, I recently saw The Fly, have to say it´s a crappy movie!
Old 11-01-2005, 02:03 AM   #69
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Was it really? It was the 'director's cut' version from 2000 that I saw. The back of the DVD case listed all the additions, but of course, that's back at Blockbuster... might nip in today to have a look if I get bored enough.
I remember seeing a documentary on it a while back, when they released the Directors Cut. I'm pretty sure they said it was the bit that caused the most people to flake out or throw up, so they had to remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t manelius
Heh, I recently saw The Fly, have to say it´s a crappy movie!
Ahh, I love that film. He keeps his nob in his bathroom closet, you've gotta feel sorry for the lad!

Spoiler:
Plus the hand-melty scene at the end is classic. Although they went even further in Fly 2, with head-melty scenes, head-crushed-by-lift scenes, etc.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:14 AM   #70
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
I remember seeing a documentary on it a while back, when they released the Directors Cut. I'm pretty sure they said it was the bit that caused the most people to flake out or throw up, so they had to remove it.
Yeah, I had a look at the DVD case in Blockbuster, that is one of the additions in the director's cut - just about the only worthwhile addition in fact.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:56 AM   #71
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Yeah, I had a look at the DVD case in Blockbuster, that is one of the additions in the director's cut - just about the only worthwhile addition in fact.
Definitely. Gotta be the most overhyped film of all time.

Just been browsing the Asia Extreme webpage, they're on a tour of the UK at the moment with 6 new films. The sods have already been to London though which is annoying. Some of the films look pretty good, especially R-Point, Tell Me Something and the new Pang bros movie Abnormal Beauty.

http://www.asiaextreme.co.uk/
Old 11-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #72
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Sorry!
No need to apologize. Just pointing out my meager idea.

Kirk