You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Discworld 1 (and 2?) to become freeware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 08:11 PM   #41
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Now, a few seconds before the auction ended, I placed my bid. Guess what happened? The seller didn't change the shipping properties in Ebay and I all I got was a message: This seller doesn't ship to your country. So the item went to the other bidder at a lousy 9 Dollars.
Didn't know that could happen! Certainly never happened to me, and I do it all the time, ask sellers who don't ship internationally if I can bid on their games. I've seen some red lettering warning me before bidding that the seller might not ship to my country, but that was just a warning, I could always place my bid.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:26 PM   #42
OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax
NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just bought DW2 for £30 on ebay 30 MINUTES AGO! God damn it >.<
The article only says Discworld and doesn't mention DW2, so perhaps the purchase was not a wasted one. I know I put "part 2" in the subject header, but I didn't carefully read it.

Perhaps a mod can edit the subject and simply change it to, "Discworld to become freeware".
Old 11-01-2005, 12:45 AM   #43

Oh, ok. But I'll still be buying the first Discworld as well as I'm a massive fanboy of it and I gotta own this stuff. Hopefully when the game is released as freeware the price of the game willl drop at ebay.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:38 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I feel like saying that Discworld + graphic filters + easily playable on Windows XP + free = absolute awesomeness.
If ScummVM supports Discworld, then it's a step away (Kyrandia) from eternity. No exageration.
Kyrandia is progressing rather well, as a matter of fact.

See http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Kyra, and download a development build to see what it looks like (not that much to look at at the moment, though).

Now, the really exiciting thing about ScummVM is The Feeble Files, as that one refuses to run on XP. But development has just started there, so it's not going to be playable any time soon...

Well, those guys are doing a fantastic job.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-01-2005, 02:04 AM   #45
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Why not just enter the maximum you're willing to pay? I don't really understand the obsession with waiting until the last minute. Of course other people have more chance to outbid you if you enter a max. bid early on, but then only up to a point. You might save a little bit of money by waiting until the last minute, but only the difference between some guy placing a speculative bid and the same guy not getting the chance, surely?
Agreed. I'm not sure what those bidders want to achieve. Seems like wasted energy for me.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:01 AM   #46
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Why not just enter the maximum you're willing to pay?
Cause it sucks when you get outbid by a few cents
Old 11-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #47
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
Didn't know that could happen! Certainly never happened to me, and I do it all the time, ask sellers who don't ship internationally if I can bid on their games. I've seen some red lettering warning me before bidding that the seller might not ship to my country, but that was just a warning, I could always place my bid.
I think Ebay changed that recently, because I remember bidding on a US-only auction before, without any problems. They probably want to support the sellers better.

--Erwin
Old 11-01-2005, 03:00 PM   #48
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Agreed. I'm not sure what those bidders want to achieve. Seems like wasted energy for me.
In the past I've bidded a maximum of, say, £20, only for someone to come along and keep raising their bid until they win (on, say £21). If I hadn't bidded, those people would only have gone up to £10 or £15, and I'd have won.

Believe me, it sucks, but I've experienced this, so now I always wait until the end. And suddenly I'm winning more stuff at an acceptable price.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:45 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
Kyrandia is progressing rather well, as a matter of fact.

See http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Kyra, and download a development build to see what it looks like (not that much to look at at the moment, though).

Now, the really exiciting thing about ScummVM is The Feeble Files, as that one refuses to run on XP. But development has just started there, so it's not going to be playable any time soon...

Well, those guys are doing a fantastic job.
Thanks! Best news of the year for me, as far as adventure games are concerned. (yes, I live in the past )
Old 11-02-2005, 06:14 AM   #50

Ebay is a tricky thing. It's a shame there are no other sites that sell such a high degree of rare items.

On the topic of SCUMMVM, it would be great if 'Blazing Dragons' became freeware. i don't know how many of you have played this but it was never released on the PC (Saturn and PSX only).

The game was made by Crystal Dynamics, who went under or got bought a long while ago. They made the first Gex games too.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:04 AM   #51
Psychonaut

Conversation over at JA+ about naughty easter eggs in DW1 and 2.

Eric Idles says "F**K*

oooooowwwww Naughty

http://www.justadventure.com/cgi-bin...num=1128210100
Old 11-08-2005, 03:45 AM   #52
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Conversation over at JA+ about naughty easter eggs in DW1 and 2.

Eric Idles says "F**K*

oooooowwwww Naughty

http://www.justadventure.com/cgi-bin...num=1128210100

The following is quoted from the MontyPythonPages Dot Com (can't link to the actual page where this one is on, so I give the link, and quote).

Read it:

Quote:
The Graham Chapman Tribute Speech

John Cleese did present the following opening speech at the Chapman tribute, two months after Graham's death:

"Graham Chapman, co-author of the 'Parrot Sketch,' is no more.

He has ceased to be, bereft of life, he rests in peace, he has kicked the bucket, hopped the twig, bit the dust, snuffed it, breathed his last, and gone to meet the Great Head of Light Entertainment in the sky, and I guess that we're all thinking how sad it is that a man of such talent, such capability and kindness, of such intelligence should now be so suddenly spirited away at the age of only forty-eight, before he'd achieved many of the things of which he was capable, and before he'd had enough fun.

Well, I feel that I should say, "Nonsense. Good riddance to him, the freeloading bastard! I hope he fries. "

And the reason I think I should say this is, he would never forgive me if I didn't, if I threw away this opportunity to shock you all on his behalf. Anything for him but mindless good taste. I could hear him whispering in my ear last night as I was writing this:

"Alright, Cleese, you're very proud of being the first person to ever say 'shit' on television. If this service is really for me, just for starters, I want you to be the first person ever at a British memorial service to say 'f**k'!"

You see, the trouble is, I can't. If he were here with me now I would probably have the courage, because he always emboldened me. But the truth is, I lack his balls, his splendid defiance. And so I'll have to content myself instead with saying 'Betty Mardsen...'

But Bolder and less inhibited spirits than me follow today. Jones and Idle, Gilliam and Palin. Heaven knows what the next hour will bring in Graham's name. Trousers Dropping, blasphemers on pogo sticks, spectacular displays of high-speed farting, synchronised incest. One of the four is planning to stuff a dead ocelot and a 1922 Remington typewriter up his own arse to the sound of the second movement of Elgar's cello concerto. And that's in the first half.

Because you see, Gray would have wanted it this way. Really. Anything for him but mindless good taste. And that's what I'll always remember about him---apart, of course, from his Olympian extravagance. He was the prince of bad taste. He loved to shock. In fact, Gray, more than anyone I knew, embodied and symbolised all that was most offensive and juvenile in Monty Python. And his delight in shocking people led him on to greater and greater feats. I like to think of him as the pioneering beacon that beat the path along which fainter spirits could follow.

Some memories. I remember writing the undertaker speech with him, and him suggesting the punch line, 'All right, we'll eat her, but if you feel bad about it afterwards, we'll dig a grave and you can throw up into it.' I remember discovering in 1969, when we wrote every day at the flat where Connie Booth and I lived, that he'd recently discovered the game of printing four-letter words on neat little squares of paper, and then quietly placing them at strategic points around our flat, forcing Connie and me into frantic last minute paper chases whenever we were expecting important guests.

I remember him at BBC parties crawling around on all fours, rubbing himself affectionately against the legs of gray-suited executives, and delicately nibbling the more appetizing female calves. Mrs. Eric Morecambe remembers that too.

I remember his being invited to speak at the Oxford union, and entering the chamber dressed as a carrot---a full length orange tapering costume with a large, bright green sprig as a hat----and then, when his turn came to speak, refusing to do so. He just stood there, literally speechless, for twenty minutes, smiling beatifically. The only time in world history that a totally silent man has succeeded in inciting a riot.

I remember Graham receiving a Sun newspaper TV award from Reggie Maudling. Who else! And taking the trophy falling to the ground and crawling all the way back to his table, screaming loudly, as loudly as he could. And if you remember Gray, that was very loud indeed.

It is magnificent, isn't it? You see, the thing about shock... is not that it upsets some people, I think; I think that it gives others a momentary joy of liberation, as we realised in that instant that the social rules that constrict our lives so terribly are not actually very important.

Well, Gray can't do that for us anymore. He's gone. He is an ex-Chapman. All we have of him now is our memories. But it will be some time before they fade."
And he got away with it too!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 11-08-2005, 06:56 AM   #53

You have been able to download Discworld 1 and 2 from 'thehomeofthe underdogs' for ages, That's where I got my copies from, i had no idea it wasn't freeware. well nevermind.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:08 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftweed
You have been able to download Discworld 1 and 2 from 'thehomeofthe underdogs' for ages, That's where I got my copies from, i had no idea it wasn't freeware. well nevermind.
The Underdogs is an Abandonware site, and abandonware isn't legal. Of course, not legal isn't the same thing as immoral...
To each his own, but in any case, for your information, this site policy is not to tolerate abandonware links.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:41 AM   #55
Vigilant

Default New and quite excited

Hello,

My name is Mike and I am an adventure game fanatic. I have played almost every game created dealing with the adventure genre. I love the noir genre and have been studying it in college as I am going into a film career. I am actually stunned that their are so many collective fans of noir AND adventure games here. Interesting enough, there has been a fair share of noiresque type games released in the last decade or two. I have a few questions concerning Discworld. Has it been established that only the first will be or is out on freeware? Also, Orange Brat, you are creating a game currently? I am so glad to see an independent game created by a movie lover. This tends to make a good and exciting plot.

By the way, for those of you who are unaware of the noir genre in games, here is my little list of games touching the genre. (Some are adventure/other mixed genres):

Discworld Noir- Already been established above.

Grim Fandango- My favorite of them all, and perhaps my favorite game, period. I really don't need to go into how excellent this game is, because this is an adventure game site and all.

Moment of Silence- Not quite noir, but does explore some political corruption in a lighter fashion. It could be tech noir, which is a genre unto its own. Great game, fun and well done.

Anachronox-This game could possibly beat out Grim Fandango sometimes, as it wages a war in my head for the best game ever. If you have not played this game, http://www.planetanachronox.com/ please visit this website, for which I am a moderator. We can help you decide that playing it will be the best decision you could make this year. This game is definetly tech noir as well as cyberpunk. It is rpg as well as a strong adventure genre, were it plots battles in turnbase agianst some task running and THE BEST dialouge/script I have ever witnessed in a game. PLEASE try to buy this game for the PC, it is very inexpensive and worth 10 times as much as you will pay for it. Its story of failure as a game is a sad one because of Edios' very poor ability to advertise when an out of the ordanary game comes out. It was made by Ion Storm, yes, that Deus Ex Ion Storm. I think its better....

Bladerunner- An excellent game made into a decent game. Bladerunner is tech noir at its finest. The game has some interesting interactivity qualities and is very well done visual wise, the dialouge may fall short SOME times but is a must play for any diehard adventure gamers.

City of Metronome- Looks very much noir, though it is not out yet. The preview could be found on this website somewhere.

The Longest Journey- Yes, yes, I know, alot of this game takes place in Arcadia, the magical mystery tour of a magical and mysterous place. However, the other world, Stark, (comon, that name just even spells noir there) is completely noir. The slum of the world is found at the bottom of the zoo of a city, where people cannot afford to live in the luxuries of the towers in the heavens. Very noir. We will see if the sequal will have the same atmosphere as the previous game.

I know I am missing a few, but feel free to add on.

Thanks for reading guys and I hope to be around for a while, keep up the interesting topics!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:53 AM   #56
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
The Underdogs is an Abandonware site, and abandonware isn't legal. Of course, not legal isn't the same thing as immoral...
To each his own, but in any case, for your information, this site policy is not to tolerate abandonware links.
Although The Underdogs has some abandonware games, they also have many games that are freeware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack
By the way, for those of you who are unaware of the noir genre in games, here is my little list of games touching the genre. (Some are adventure/other mixed genres):

I know I am missing a few, but feel free to add on.
The Tex Murphy games have elements of tech noir (or future noir). And Beneath a Steel Sky uses that kind of setting, although the story doesn't really conform.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:56 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Although The Underdogs has some abandonware games, they also have many games that are freeware.
Yeah. To me, abandonware includes freeware, while the opposite is not true.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:03 AM   #58
Elegantly copy+pasted

Well, then your claim that "abandonware isn't legal" is wrong.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Well, then your claim that "abandonware isn't legal" is wrong.

Leave me alone.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #60
Vigilant

Can't believe I forgot Beneath a Steel Sky, that's noirish, for sure.