You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #21
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Aren't the people who protested before her but didn't get as much publicity just as righteous?
I would say so. According to the Washington Post: "She refused, despite rules requiring blacks to yield their seats to whites. Two black Montgomery women had been arrested earlier that year on the same charge, but Mrs. Parks was jailed. She also was fined $14."

I wonder who those other two women were... Maybe some people actually know their names, but I certainly don't. They aren't as well known as Rosa Parks, but they apparently protested just as much. I guess the trick is to get sent to jail, then people remember you.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:13 PM   #22
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
She is famous because the incident was perfect for a test case, and of course she was a member of an organisation called the NAACP. I'm not a fan of building up folk heroes for political agendas. Aren't the people who protested before her but didn't get as much publicity just as righteous?

Civil disobedience might have been named (that's great in it's own right) in America by an American, but it was not in the 20th century, and the tactic was used many times, well before then.

I'm not so sure whether she instigated the lawsuit against Outkast, it's not consistant with her attitude of modesty and correcting the rumours with her true account. Such as being physically tired, was possibly a misquote, she remembers being tired of discrimination, making the motive of staying in the seat much more noble than laziness. This attitude is the thing I'm going to remember, I don't like heroines much, normal honest people can do incredible things.
I didn't know this was suddenly subject to questioning the details of such a historic landmark.

But we all need to remember, heroines (and heroes) often start out in life as 'normal honest people'. It's simply that they end up doing 'incredible things' that catapult them to become great.

They say she wouldn't give up her seat to a white man because she was simply tired. In her own words (as reported by CNN.com): "The only kind of tired I was, was tired of giving in."
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 10-26-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:51 AM   #23
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

It is very inspiring. It just shows you need to stand up for what you believe in.

''One grain of rice can tip the scale.''

True words. One man/woman may be all it takes.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-26-2005, 03:30 AM   #24
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Rest in peace Rosa Parks..

Old 10-26-2005, 05:16 AM   #25
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I didn't know this was suddenly subject to questioning the details of such a historic landmark.
Is that questioning your details of such a historic landmark?
Quote:
But we all need to remember, heroines (and heroes) often start out in life as 'normal honest people'. It's simply that they end up doing 'incredible things' that catapult them to become great.
They don't become great, they become myths and legends. Maybe we all need to remember this. I have no interest in your hero worship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
It is very inspiring. It just shows you need to stand up for what you believe in.

''One grain of rice can tip the scale.''
Exactly.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #26
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
They don't become great, they become myths and legends. Maybe we all need to remember this. I have no interest in your hero worship.
I wasn't asking you to worship anything. You do what you want to do. Go now, run along and play.

Oh, and no need to waste your time with some clever little comeback to this. I'm not worth the trouble (and it's not like I'll be reading it anyway). Have a nice day.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-27-2005, 04:21 PM   #27
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Who replied judgementally to who?