You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 03:00 AM   #1
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Default Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh Hhhhhhhhh!

I'm tasked with managing over 500 different animation sprites for the game. Turns out the animator made a mistake in the numbering, which means I have to manually change everything I've done for the past week. I think I'm going insane. I truly am on the brink of breaking down here.

Damnit.

I guess I'll go kick a wall or something.

Or kick the animator.
Though that may not be such a good idea.

Though maybe I should do it anyway.

Meanwhile, can you guys post some relaxing images or something?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:12 AM   #2
merely human

This relaxing enough?

Btw, I think you and your design team should agree on a deal. Each time one of you f#&ks up major like that, he has to buy everyone dinner out. No excuses. Try that.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 12-03-2003 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:28 AM   #3
soffistical

http://www.iworkwithfools.com/
Old 12-03-2003, 04:05 AM   #4
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Glad to see you have something to do Marek.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 12-03-2003, 06:02 AM   #5
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma
I love the "boss" button on that site. Reminds me of some of those really old games
Old 12-03-2003, 06:18 AM   #6

Um...Marek ?

I am seriously considering enrolling in a game design course next year.I have been interested in game design for as along as I can remember.I have a couple of games designed on paper as well.Hobby-stuff mostly.Nothing Serious.
But your remarks such as 'Game developing is hard as hell' and other stuff like the Coffee-Machine are making me reconsider.

Say it ain't so dude.Tell me that game developing is fun.That despite these little bumps ever-so often you are always happy and confident to face the challenges that the field of Game Design presents you with.

Old 12-03-2003, 06:25 AM   #7
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
Say it ain't so dude.Tell me that game developing is fun.That despite these little bumps ever-so often you are always happy and confident to face the challenges that the field of Game Design presents you with.
*sigh* ......how innocent we all are at first....
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-03-2003, 06:48 AM   #8
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
Um...Marek ?

I am seriously considering enrolling in a game design course next year.I have been interested in game design for as along as I can remember.I have a couple of games designed on paper as well.Hobby-stuff mostly.Nothing Serious.
But your remarks such as 'Game developing is hard as hell' and other stuff like the Coffee-Machine are making me reconsider.

Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's not fun
Old 12-03-2003, 07:09 AM   #9
soffistical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
*choosing the less clean association and giggles sillily*
Old 12-03-2003, 07:11 AM   #10
merely human

oh god, emma .
Old 12-03-2003, 07:14 AM   #11
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Mycroft: it's fun!

I have to say the development has been pretty relaxed so far, except for one long day of crunch before an important presentation. Crunch time can be fun. The only truly bad day I've had was today. We're two weeks away from the deadline and that's not a nice time to find out that things are messed up. Don't let my bitching about these things scare you off. Making a quick Chit Chat post is my way of blowing off steam.

By the way, the coffee machine has been scrapped from the game.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:16 AM   #12
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Ditto. But I still wouldn't want to be a professional game developer. At least not as long as things stay the way they currently are (from what I've read everywhere) -- in every company people do overtime work constantly. I can understand a few weeks, a month of working OT (a couple of times a year), but what the developers themselves say sounds like they are devoted to the game 24/7 the entire developement process. And right when they finish a game, they'll take a short vacation and begin working on the next one...
Then again, some people may like that kind of thing. I just don't (I know from personal experience).

Old 12-03-2003, 07:32 AM   #13
Headbanger

I fully understand you Marek. I have been working with my game nonstop for almost a week now. I have also a test on friday and three other projects I have to work on simultenously. I haven't got any sleep at all during this time. The deadline is next friday (if I'm not truly dead by then). I think I'm slowly losing my mind here. Well, who needs a mind anyway. Back to work.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:02 AM   #14
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Just pretend if you don't do the animation, you'll fall in a huge pit of acid, and then your melting skeleton will be chopped into bits and made into a bowl of delicious soup. That should calm you down.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 12-03-2003, 12:14 PM   #15
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Ditto. But I still wouldn't want to be a professional game developer. At least not as long as things stay the way they currently are (from what I've read everywhere) -- in every company people do overtime work constantly. I can understand a few weeks, a month of working OT (a couple of times a year), but what the developers themselves say sounds like they are devoted to the game 24/7 the entire developement process. And right when they finish a game, they'll take a short vacation and begin working on the next one...
Then again, some people may like that kind of thing. I just don't (I know from personal experience).
OT's okay when you really enjoy what you do
Old 12-03-2003, 10:27 PM   #16
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
OT's okay when you really enjoy what you do
But I'm talking about constant overtime work that practically doesn't leave you time for anything else. Have you tried that? I have.

Old 12-03-2003, 11:48 PM   #17
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
But I'm talking about constant overtime work that practically doesn't leave you time for anything else. Have you tried that? I have.
Sounds like a workaholic's dream!

--Erwin
Old 12-03-2003, 11:56 PM   #18

Thanks Marek.

I really need that kind of reassurance from an insider before I sign on the dotted line.
I have always been interested to find out what goes on inside a GameDev studio.I applied for a beta-testing job but I was kicked out.But that's another story.

And I read the Behind the Game on Gamespot about PoP:SoT.It felt like the guys went through hell.Not to mention Mechner making Canada his temporary residence.And I still get shivers reading Tim Schafer's developer diary about GF on Gamespot.About how he had to convince the suits that GF would be a profitable venture...oh well..

Thanks again...

Last edited by mycroft; 12-04-2003 at 12:06 AM.