You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Pop ups and browser talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Codger

Default Pop ups and browser talk

I've started getting some really annoying pop-up advertisements of late. The most current one http://www.breastgain.com/?aid=417591 is both annoying because of the content, but also because, being of the male persuasion, I have no interest in the product.

Some sites allow pop-ups into the domain as a way of generating revenue. And that's OK. I don't know whether that is happening here, or that the marketer has simply found a way to attach itself to the AG site.

Regardless, in a minor way, they're (the pop-up ads) offensive, and hope the powers that be have a way of getting rid of those that are not appropriate to the AG site.

Tim
Old 10-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I've never gotten a pop-up at this site. You may have adware on your computer. I suggest downloading programs such as the free Microsoft AntiSpyware.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
I've started getting some really annoying pop-up advertisements of late. The most current one http://www.breastgain.com/?aid=417591 is both annoying because of the content, but also because, being of the male persuasion, I have no interest in the product.

Some sites allow pop-ups into the domain as a way of generating revenue. And that's OK. I don't know whether that is happening here, or that the marketer has simply found a way to attach itself to the AG site.

Regardless, in a minor way, they're (the pop-up ads) offensive, and hope the powers that be have a way of getting rid of those that are not appropriate to the AG site.

Tim
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ad.php?t=10740

As this thread has been saying for awhile now, please let Marek know about ANY popups you get (offensive or not)
Old 10-17-2005, 01:31 AM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Hmmm, that is not an advertisement we've run at Adventure Gamers. I suggest you scan your computer for spyware/adware. Another possibility is that you had another site opened at the time, in a second browser window. Pop-ups can appear not only when you enter a page, but they can also be time-delayed, 'hidden' underneath your browser window (pop-unders) or appear when you exit a page.

There's no way I would ever allow that kind of ad on AG, and I can guarantee that it wasn't ours.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
There's no way I would ever allow that kind of ad on AG, and I can guarantee that it wasn't ours.

Firefox is the answer. I never get pop ups.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
I've never gotten a pop-up at this site. You may have adware on your computer. I suggest downloading programs such as the free Microsoft AntiSpyware.
I run both Spybot and MS AntiSpyware, and neither show anything on the system. The Google pop-up blocker does a fairly good job, but stuff still gets through.

Just thought I would report this instance.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:05 AM   #7
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Well, thanks for reporting it. If there's an ad like this on AG, I'd definitely like to know. Fortunately it's not an AG ad in this case.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68

Firefox is the answer. I never get pop ups.
Ditto.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:06 AM   #9
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
I run both Spybot and MS AntiSpyware, and neither show anything on the system. The Google pop-up blocker does a fairly good job, but stuff still gets through.

Just thought I would report this instance.
I would suggest giving Firefox a try

Internet Explorer is very broken as far as page rendering, has security issues, and most importantly, has fewer useful features (Tabs and popup blocking, most of all).
Old 10-17-2005, 07:14 AM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
I would suggest giving Firefox a try
Firefox is great, but I had to set it to allow popups for the forums or else it would block my private messages from opening in a new window (which is how I like them to open). Hasn't been a problem because the forums (usually) don't have popups, though.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:25 AM   #11

I use Avant Browser and have never been happier. Like Firefox, it has tabbed browsing and pop-up blockers. The main thing I like and that I can't live without, is using the scroll-wheel on my mouse to click to open links in a new window and to close tabs.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:27 AM   #12
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
I use Avant Browser and have never been happier. Like Firefox, it has tabbed browsing and pop-up blockers. The main thing I like and that I can't live without, is using the scroll-wheel on my mouse to click to open links in a new window and to close tabs.
Yeah, middle-clicking links is kind of an addiction now
Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 AM   #13
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Warning, Neike-just-explodified rant ahead. Partly off-topic.

Quote:
Internet Explorer is very broken as far as page rendering,
Funny, only FireFox has ever given me issues in practice. I don't think FireFox quite got the hang of the box model.

Quote:
[IE] has security issues,
And FireFox will be happy not to import that I explicitely turn of JavaScript and still call "imported settings successful!" Which has made me trust it GREATLY. Note dripping sarcasm.

Quote:
[IE] and most importantly, has fewer useful features (Tabs and popup blocking, most of all).
Best popup blocking (aswell as other annoying site features that tend not to have much use): JavaScript deactivation on the 'Internet Zone', and actually bothering putting things into your 'Trusted Sites' (like AG, after tweaking said level down to something less glaringly wide open). And I could never get used to tabs, I prefer my 'Open Link in a New Window' shift-click. FireFox just annoys me with it's tabs, on a personal level of things, but I guess I can understand why some people prefer that. Simply put, I don't. It's just annoying for me.

Sorry, but given that FireFox decided it must install itself as a shortcut on my desktop and my quick launch, got the box model wrong in crucial points*, forcing me to use tables instead of divs on a website I was making (sound familiar, anyone?), did not import my security settings from IE even though it said "import successful" (I'm so glad I checked on that statement), and does not seem to know text-alignight; in DIVs*, nor is half as useful going through XML as IE, I've just about had it with all this "FireFox is that much better than IE". I can bookmark the w3c myself, thank you very much. If that's the only improvement, then that's no improvement at all.

(*Coincidentially, yes, my site is valid XHTML/CSS, before someone goes about assuming otherwise.)

Since it's given me nothing but a headache, I felt I should mention it. Come to think of it, I think a change to my signature is in order.

Though please, continue to use it. But I think I've amassed enough reasons to dislike it greatly, aswell as the entire FireFox hype. Good, yes. Better? Maybe, but I've yet to see anything of it in practise.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 10-17-2005, 11:37 AM   #14

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anybody still use IE. There are so many alternative browsers out there that have much better features, that I can't see why you would still use IE (yes I read your entire post). And how can you not like tabbed browsing (insert shocked smiley here).

Oh yeah, try Avant (that's what I use). If you didn't like Firefox, there are still plenty of other browsers out there.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #15
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
And how can you not like tabbed browsing (insert shocked smiley here).
Well, I don't know. Too many years getting used to subconsciously hitting ALT-TAB to switch between windows? As in, habit? I really don't know. I just know it irritates the hell out of me.

Quote:
Oh yeah, try Avant (that's what I use). If you didn't like Firefox, there are still plenty of other browsers out there.
Maybe I'll do that, just for the sake of informing myself, at least. Thanks for the tip, anyway. Though I do fear it's just going to be another let-down to me, but agreed that this is clearly bias on my side. I'm overly pessimistic now.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 10-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anybody still use IE.
I didn't know I was in a minority. (In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm still not).
Old 10-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Well, I don't know. Too many years getting used to subconsciously hitting ALT-TAB to switch between windows? As in, habit? I really don't know. I just know it irritates the hell out of me.
It takes a couple of days to get used to, but once you start, you'll never go back.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:08 PM   #18
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
It takes a couple of days to get used to, but once you start, you'll never go back.
People said that about FireFox, too. Cough. But okay, I'll give it a try.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 10-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #19
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Pink: I'd be interested to hear more about the box model problem you had. In my own experiences with HTML and CSS, it's Firefox and Opera (and Safari) that obey the W3C standards while IE makes me want to rip my hair out in clumps. I am so tired of creating CSS-only layouts with simple code that work beautifully in FF, O, and S, only to have it be an ungodly mess in IE that I have to tack on a couple dozen lines or more of extra crap to fix (assuming I don't end up just having to give up parts of my design).

In any case, I personally use Opera. It has all sorts of wonderful features, is extremely customizable, renders pages very quickly and well, and is very secure. I haven't used Firefox extensively, so I can't give an honest opinion on how they both compare to each other, although I can say that I find Opera a hella lot better than IE.

In any case, no matter what you end up with, I do recommend giving tabbed browsing a fair shake. I LOVE the "open in background page" option in Opera, and I love having all my pages contained in one window. Much easier than having to do Shift-Click-Maximize-Minimize for every new link, and then having to keep track of 30+ things in the taskbar... especially if I'm working with other programs at the same time... and then of course there's the lovely "system resources low" message when you have too many IE windows open...

Bleh. Don't miss IE at all.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 10-17-2005, 01:02 PM   #20
Friendly Server Admin

Also, IE doesn't support the complex table model (tags like <tbody>, etc.)

My biggest most absolute seething anger-inducing pet peeve about IE is the fact that IT RENDERS WHITESPACE!!!!! (sometimes).

Also, let's not even get into XMLHttpRequest