Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Design a Contest (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/11130-design-contest.html)

gillyruless 10-11-2005 07:44 AM

Design a Contest

So I recently got extra copies of Moment of Silence and I'd love to give a copy away to a worthy recipient. What I would like to do is to have a AG forums contest. Your job is to help me design a contest which is overall fair but at the same time, gives people who contribute more to the AG forums a better chance at winning it. Not an easy task which is precisely why I need your help.

Please post your ideas.

Maquisard 10-11-2005 07:53 AM

"Design a contest you know you can win." :P

Aj_ 10-11-2005 08:01 AM

Design gilly an avatar.

BoyToy 10-11-2005 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillyruless
[...] a contest which is overall fair but at the same time, gives people who contribute more to the AG forums a better chance at winning it.

Yes, Lynsie is right, you really are sooo romantic! *smewch*

stepurhan 10-11-2005 08:03 AM

Define contribute more.

It's easy to think of particular people who take a more active part in the community but how can you empirically measure it? Assuming you're not going to just use your own personal opinion (in which case, why not give the games to those you think deserve them instead of having a competition) you need some way of ranking people. Post count would be an obvious choice but that excludes Chit-Chat. I'd say a lot of the stuff in Chit-Chat contributes to the feeling of community here.

I know I'm raising questions without providing any useful sort of answers. This is why I want to understand what you mean when you want to give certain people a better chance of winning.

Melanie68 10-11-2005 09:12 AM

Please write a 10 page essay on the symbolism of Monkey Kombat and its real world application to global conflict.

*just kidding :D

insane_cobra 10-11-2005 09:52 AM

How 'bout this: the person who designs the best contest gets the game. :D

stepurhan 10-11-2005 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
Please write a 10 page essay on the symbolism of Monkey Kombat and its real world application to global conflict.

Do you think forcing people to play Monkey Kombat could end global conflict?

As they put aside their differences to hunt down the person that thought the darn thing up. :frusty:

Hammerite 10-11-2005 11:36 AM

Why can't the contest be to design the contest.
If this goes through then I will certainly win!
My plan is foolproof ha ha haha

insane_cobra 10-11-2005 11:40 AM

Hey, I thought of it first, you unscrupulous imitator!

RLacey 10-11-2005 12:10 PM

PC Gamer UK did that compo compo idea years ago ;).

I'd suggest one of those "get the highest score and post a screen as proof one a flash arcade game" competitions, but I'd get killed by those with poor reflexes.

How about you provide a list of quotations from the forums (and not the ones from the quotations thread ;)), and we have to guess who said them?

Actually, that would be too easy.

gillyruless 10-11-2005 12:27 PM

So I will give away two copies. One goes to the designer of the best contest and the second one goes to the winner of the actual contest.

Rob, one of the reasons behind my getting five copies of MoS was just for this.

gillyruless 10-11-2005 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey

How about you provide a list of quotations from the forums (and not the ones from the quotations thread ;)), and we have to guess who said them?

Actually, that would be too easy.

Hmmm, this is actually a very good idea. Rob, you are on the lead for that first copy of MoS for now. Damn, I bet the shipping cost to UK is not cheap. Come on, some body think of a better contest quick and save me some money.

:D

RLacey 10-11-2005 12:39 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, this is actually a very good idea. Rob, you are on the lead for that first copy of MoS for now. Damn, I bet the shipping cost to UK is not cheap. Come on, some body think of a better contest quick and save me some money.

:D

I already have a copy anyway ;).

insane_cobra 10-11-2005 01:33 PM

Quote:

Damn, I bet the shipping cost to UK is not cheap. Come on, some body think of a better contest quick and save me some money.

I KNOW! You send one game to me and the other one goes to the person who guesses how much shipping to Croatia will cost you. ;)

SoccerDude28 10-11-2005 01:35 PM

How about this contest. The person who comes up with the funniest line said in an adventure game wins. And you gilly will be the judge.

insane_cobra 10-11-2005 01:39 PM

How about this: Every contestant has a week to recreate one of the adventure game scenes in real life, take a photo of it and post it here. Then we have public voting for another week and the one with the most votes wins! Or gilly could choose the one he likes the most.

Jazhara7 10-11-2005 02:01 PM

How about this?

Design a castle for the Loony Empress. It's location should vary between Australia, Bavaria, and Scotland (alternatively, you can also design three different castles. As long as I don't have to pay extra :P ).

Also, it should have at least a ha-ha around it, and a tree house in the garden.

Further it should fit the inhabitants' character, and have a sufficient selection of secret pathways, chambers, and grails. Also, it should not - I repeat: NOT resemble Neu Schwanstein in the least. It should be like a real castle, but with a better and more effective system of heating.

Well, start designing already!

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RLacey 10-11-2005 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7
but with a better and more effective system of heating.

You want a hypocaust? ;)

Jazhara7 10-11-2005 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
You want a hypocaust? ;)

Actually I just wanted to have warm rooms during winter without having to keep chickens and goats in my living room...

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D