Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   On feeding the vampire community (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/11106-feeding-vampire-community.html)

Dark Veil 10-10-2005 07:00 AM

On feeding the vampire community

Now there's a misleading title for a topic about donating blood if there ever was one... :D

Anyway I was wondering if there are more people around here that donate blood.
If so, why? If not, why not?

Personally I used to donate blood a few times a year and for a year now I've been donating boodplasm every month.
It's pretty much the same procedure as donating blood: Check-Up - Donate - Leave
The difference is: with Plasm you need to make an appointment because you need to be hooked up to some sort of filtering machine.
Giving bloodplasm is sort of like being in a relationship: you give a lot of yourself only to get a small amount back.
(650 ml of plasm is collected and about 2 to 3 liters of blood are filtered for this)
Therefor it takes a bit longer than donating blood.
On the plusside your body recovers faster from it, which is why you are allowed to donate once a month.

One thing I am concerned with is that in some countries like America, you get paid a small fee for donating blood.
(Same with sperm but that would be a different topic someone could make a 'sticky' about :P)
In my eyes, getting paid for a donation attracts the wrong kind of people.
The only motive should be: giving back something to the community and perhaps the free check-up. (that and free coffee...)
After all, blood replenishes itself so all you've lost is some time.

Almost forgot: I mostly donate to help out the local Vampires :devil:

(This thread was inspired by Tempsie tm)

pinkgothic 10-10-2005 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Veil
If not, why not?

No vampires in the area. :D

Ninth 10-10-2005 07:09 AM

Off-Topic warning...

Your avatar is the best avatar ever, Dark Veil. :)

Dark Veil 10-10-2005 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
Off-Topic warning...

Your avatar is the best avatar ever, Dark Veil. :)

*blush* Thanks! :D

SakSquash 10-10-2005 07:20 AM

I donate blood whenever I can, even though i'm deftly afraid of needles. I also can't stand the nurses/doctors that work there. They're always telling me not to share my answers that I put on the sheet with others, but it's my ****ing information, i'll share my history of prostitution with whomever I like!

natalia 10-10-2005 08:27 AM

I donate blood somewhat regularly. My office building makes it very easy, they come in on a regular basis and set up in a conference room downstairs.

I dunno, I guess I do it because it's an easy way for me to help someone. I'm in the US, and I've never gotten paid to give blood -- although I'm sure it may be different in areas where they need more of it. I do like how you get a little juice and sometimes a donut afterwards.

AFGNCAAP 10-10-2005 09:10 AM

Sorry, I can't. :frown: I am physically unprepared to have my blood drained. Every time I have to undergo it for medical reasons (except the latest occasion, strangely enough) I must lie down for a brief period of time afterwards, because the world starts spinning around and getting out of focus. Even remembering it now makes me feel uneasy. My father reacts the same way.

SakSquash 10-10-2005 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Sorry, I can't. :frown: I am physically unprepared to have my blood drained. Every time I have to undergo it for medical reasons (except the latest occasion, strangely enough) I must lie down for a brief period of time afterwards, because the world starts spinning around and getting out of focus. Even remembering it now makes me feel uneasy. My father reacts the same way.

I usually pass out an hour afterwards. Best sleep I get the whole year.

Dark Veil 10-10-2005 09:21 AM

I don't even feel a little faint afterwards...
Lucky me, though I do feel sorry for you guys.

Dark Veil 10-10-2005 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkgothic
No vampires in the area. :D

That's what they want you to believe....
The masquerade is real!

pinkgothic 10-10-2005 09:26 AM

Maybe I should have worded it differently.

No OTHER vampires in the area. ;)

Dark Veil 10-10-2005 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Maybe I should have worded it differently.

No OTHER vampires in the area. ;)

Spoiler:
Keep quiet! Me mustn't make ourselves known...

tabacco 10-10-2005 09:48 AM

Whoa, you can get paid for blood? ;)

Seriously, I've never seen anywhere that does that, except maybe in movies or something. I have given blood occasionally, but usually only when a bloodmobile type of thing happens to roll up to my workplace. Although my job involved powertools (!!), so I'mpretty much limited to AutoCAD work afterward, which I hate.

Dark Veil 10-10-2005 10:10 AM

Over here the bloodbank has it's own building in most big cities so I just come to them.
And on the matter of getting paid for blood, appearently I was wrong, sorry.
I've never been to the states myself and only know what I see, hear or read bassicly.

RLacey 10-10-2005 10:18 AM

I keep meaning to. In the past the date has always clashed with something that I've had on, but there are a good five opportunities for me to give blood in the next eight weeks.

DustCropper 10-10-2005 01:39 PM

We have blood drives around campus pretty regularly here. Usually we get a free t-shirt.

Melanie68 10-10-2005 01:53 PM

The blood drives at UC Davis have lately been giving you a coupon for a pint of Ben and Jerry's for your blood. :P

stepurhan 10-10-2005 02:49 PM

Don't because I can't. I have a medical condition that precludes giving blood. Real bummer because I want to (since it can save lives) and I apparently have an uncommon blood type. :frown:

Intrepid Homoludens 10-10-2005 02:54 PM

I'm the same way, stepsie. I've my own medical condition. I would love to donate blood, though, and organs.

lumi 10-10-2005 04:18 PM

I'm not sure I can. I've heard that there's some rule about not being able to donate if you've been in Europe during a certain time period. I think something to do with Mad Cow.