You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What is your most embarrasing traits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #41
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I also say completely the wrong word, and don't tend to realise until I stop speaking and replay the words in my head.
I do that quite often as well. I also have sort of the inverse of SamNMax's unnaturally deep voice when talking to people I don't know well, in that my voice goes irritatingly high, while when talking to close friends and family (in what I assume is my natural tone of voice) I apparently have a very deep voice. I think I must have developed some sort complex from being teased for having a low voice when I was younger. I'm also told I have a Southern US accent, which is rather strange being as I've spent my whole life in Australia, bar one short holiday.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #42
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
And I have my own version of #4, in the form of being super gullible. My flatmates don't even bother stringing me along any more. Another sample conversation:
Flatmate: "I've just won the lottery!!!"
Me: "Really?"
Flatmate: "No."
You do know the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary, don't you?

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #43
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Oh shut up.

Strangely it only manifests itself offline. Although I type the wrong words all the time...
Old 05-03-2006, 09:32 PM   #44
merely human

Shit. Just realized I hadn't 'fessed up myself.

*sigh*

The first thing that comes to mind is that whenever a seriously gorgeous man strikes up a conversation with me I get so nervous that I start talking - nonstop. And I fidget. It's damn annoying, 'cause they can tell immediately.

Years ago I was introduced to this one blonde/blue eyed demi-god at a club, and I instinctively knew he was attracted to me. He asked me about myself and I ended up telling him - at agonizing length - where I worked and what I do there and how I get there and who works with me and where I go for my lunch breaks and what my schedule was and.... Well, needless to say I spent the rest of the evening wondering which wall in the club I should bang my f***ing head against.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-03-2006, 09:35 PM   #45
Bad Influence

Heh-heh-heh! This'll be great fun!

Speaking of which, there's another embarassing trait of mine: I have a rowdy, mischievous sense of humor that gets me in trouble all the time. When you couple this trait with the fact that I seem to lack the normal "edit" function between what I think and what I say, I'm a real delight to be around.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #46
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Speaking of which, there's another embarassing trait of mine: I have a rowdy, mischievous sense of humor that gets me in trouble all the time. When you couple this trait with the fact that I seem to lack the normal "edit" function between what I think and what I say, I'm a real delight to be around.
That does it. You had definitely better come visit me in L.A. and we'll go out for drinks and be all catty and talk about all the guys in the bar.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #47
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
That does it. You had definitely better come visit me in L.A. and we'll go out for drinks and be all catty and talk about all the guys in the bar.
Count on it, buddy! It might be interesting to see how my accent goes over in the L.A. social scene.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-03-2006, 11:47 PM   #48
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

*just went to the link tabacco posted for the first time!*

Quote:
Thripshaw: Well at the moment I am working on a new disease, which I hope to turn into a musical, but, primarily we are working on a re-make of my first disease and this time we're hoping to do it properly.
Priceless.

I've found out my embarrassing trait is my virtue - honesty. I guess it has the same effect that Trep's lengthy talking does - people drop me like a hot potato! I don't regret it, though. So I guess it's not embarrassing at all, it just should be.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #49
Chris Barraclough

Yeah, I tend to make obscene jokes, which is fine around people I know but not so good with strangers who think I'm just a foul abusive tosser. I used to have a thick northern accent that posh sounding southerners couldn't understand too, but I'm losing it fast.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-04-2006, 12:47 AM   #50
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Yeah, I tend to make obscene jokes, which is fine around people I know but not so good with strangers who think I'm just a foul abusive tosser.
Whereas your friends know you're just a foul abusive tosser...
Old 05-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #51
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Why bother writing up all my flaws when Jeysie already has?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
1. I'm very forgetful and absent-minded.

2. I'm very klutzy. ...walking into walls and doors, ... etc. Been there, done that, looked stupid.

3. I'm slow. It takes me forever to "get" things a lot of the time.
3 in particular is a problem when I'm reading books, for instance- I always need to reread sentences because it hasn't really gotten through to my mind yet. How bad this problem is depends on how expositionary the writing is- in a section with lots of small details it can take as long as ten minutes to get through a page. I've stopped reading novels for this reason, switched to comic books. This also makes it very hard to watch The West Wing (one of my favorite shows), because I need to rewatch each scene around three times just to understand what they're talking about.

...but none of these are my most embarrasing trait. That would be not being able to stop talking whenever I get an opening in a conversation. You know the type- someone casually mentions The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, or J. Michael Straczynski, or Myst, and the next thing I know it's a half hour later and I realize that the person I've been talking to has been trying to get rid of me for twenty minutes already.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:03 AM   #52
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Whereas your friends know you're just a foul abusive tosser...
That's why they love me!

Oh, also I get really p*ssed off at times playing games and swear lots, but so does my flatmate thankfully. "F***ing shoot him you f***ing **** ****!" is a common thing to hear while walking past our windows

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-04-2006, 04:52 AM   #53

When I was small, I read this one comic in which there was a character called "Professor Gobelijn", which was a very confused person. Whenever he wanted to say a word, he said the complete opposite, for example "yes" instead of "no" or "right" instead of "left" or "run!" instead of "stand still" and so on.

My mother used to call me "nutty professor" because I had (and still have) the exact same condition. I don't just say the wrong word - I say the exact opposite. I don't think it's very embarassing though, it's actually quite funny.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #54
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
3 in particular is a problem when I'm reading books, for instance- I always need to reread sentences because it hasn't really gotten through to my mind yet. How bad this problem is depends on how expositionary the writing is- in a section with lots of small details it can take as long as ten minutes to get through a page. I've stopped reading novels for this reason, switched to comic books. This also makes it very hard to watch The West Wing (one of my favorite shows), because I need to rewatch each scene around three times just to understand what they're talking about.
I'll send you a copy of Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent. Just to torture you.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #55
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I talk to myself out loud, which is only embarrassing when you get caught at it. I remember doing it as a kid, so I think I've always done it.

Lynsie
Yeah, I do that too, all the time. I also sing and comment on things out loud - Loud, so often the person I comment on hears it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Shit. Just realized I hadn't 'fessed up myself.

*sigh*

The first thing that comes to mind is that whenever a seriously gorgeous man strikes up a conversation with me I get so nervous that I start talking - nonstop. And I fidget. It's damn annoying, 'cause they can tell immediately.

Years ago I was introduced to this one blonde/blue eyed demi-god at a club, and I instinctively knew he was attracted to me. He asked me about myself and I ended up telling him - at agonizing length - where I worked and what I do there and how I get there and who works with me and where I go for my lunch breaks and what my schedule was and.... Well, needless to say I spent the rest of the evening wondering which wall in the club I should bang my f***ing head against.
My problem is, I do that all the time, even when I'm not interested in the person I'm talking too. I've been accused of flirting with everybody because of that. I'm just very open, I tend to tell almost total strangers my lifestory if I feel we bond (helped me get my boyfriend though..)

Oh, and I read a lot, and have a good vocabulary, but I'm also a bit dyslectic, so when I read new words, I tend to misread them.. I thought Bonanza was called bonzana for a few months, and things like that. Also when I write for hand I tend to write "g's" when I'm really writing "d's" and vice versa.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #56
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera
...when I read new words, I tend to misread them.. I thought Bonanza was called bonzana for a few months...
Ha ha! That's so cute!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #57
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Chalk me up as another person that talks to themselves .

The most annoying thing about me is probably that I'm perpetually paranoid that I'm annoying everyone and that they, as a result, must hate me. Which, admittedly, is true at times, but others keep telling me that it's not the case and that they only get annoyed by my constant defensiveness over the matter.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #58
merely human

Actually, I also talk to myself a great deal. Except I do it in my head, therefore nobody knows and I don't get embarrassed.

You should hear what I say to myself in my head about you, Robsie. Heh heh heh.....
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #59
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
1. I inherited my dad's intelligence and vocabulary and my mom's tendency to mispronounce everything. As a result I tend to sound like a wanna-be-pretentious idiot in person. (My roommate makes fun of me every time I screw up saying a word, which is just about all the time.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Oh great. Basically, you're me.
1. Yep. It's a variation on E. Henry Thripshaw's Disease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Yep, I mispronounce words all the time. I also say completely the wrong word, and don't tend to realise until I stop speaking and replay the words in my head.
MY PEOPLE!

Just try telling my brain that Penelope is not pronounced "Penny-lope," peonies aren't "pee-oh-nees" etc. I think a lot of it I can attribute to reading more than talking when I was a kid, so I often encountered new words in books and had to figure out how they were pronounced by myself.

That does not excuse my constant tongue tripping when I'm talking to someone, even when I'm perfectly comfortable. But just how irritating are people who won't let you talk and keep interrupting your story to make tiny corrections to your pronounciation or word choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
This isn't so much a problem now that I never wear watches, but I used to be supremely terrible at telling time. I'd always get super embarassed during the long pauses after someone asked me what time it was. I'd wait, feeling my face heat up in embarrassment, staring at the watch face and then would finally blurt out something completely stupid like "it's 10 minutes until 45 after 4 o'clock."
Do you have dyscalculia, perhaps? My sister can't tell time or estimate how much an item will cost with taxes added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
There is actually a sternum bone, but it curves inward. It's a result of too much cartilage, so the rib cage ends up warping.
That's very interesting! I've never heard of that before. Do you think this is the origin of the stereotype that nerds have concave chests?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:26 PM   #60
Lazy Bee

I baby talk to my dog: Comsie to Momsie, mommie´s little cutiepie. *kisses and hugs, kisses and hugs*
And when I talk to people I gesticulate a lot. Like I´m doing charades to what I´m saying.