You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What is your most embarrasing traits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 03:22 PM   #21
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

ScottMate:

Nothing wrong with having an accent, it makes one's voice lively and interesting! Back when I took voice classes I always delighted in the wonderful range of accents my classmates possessed, from several varieties of Southern, to Russian, to French, to Spanish, to German, and a number of others.

Despite being born 'n raised in New England, I get told I sound like I'm from the Midwest... i.e. I speak pretty bog-standard American English, aside from my bizarre pronounciation. Not nearly as interesting!

Be proud of your accent! (Er, unless you already are proud of your accent, in which case, ignore me. )

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-20-2005, 08:22 PM   #22
SamNMax

Well, I have shitty skin, I have no sternum bone (my ribs cave in, so you can eat cereal out of my chest bowl), which makes me look fatter than I am. Also, my voice gets unnaturaly deep when talking to people that I don't really know.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:34 PM   #23
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
I have no sternum bone

Never heard about people without a sternum. Really NONE? Nada? Zero? Zilch? Ãœberhaupt keins?! I guess if it's just making you look fatter than you are, then you should consider yourself lucky...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Well, I have shitty skin, I have no sternum bone (my ribs cave in, so you can eat cereal out of my chest bowl), which makes me look fatter than I am. Also, my voice gets unnaturaly deep when talking to people that I don't really know.
Dude, I have that. It's pectus excavatum. You can get it fixed with a surgical procedure. Best to have it done when you're young because your bones are more flexible.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Never heard about people without a sternum. Really NONE? Nada? Zero? Zilch? Ãœberhaupt keins?! I guess if it's just making you look fatter than you are, then you should consider yourself lucky...
There is actually a sternum bone, but it curves inward. It's a result of too much cartilage, so the rib cage ends up warping.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:58 PM   #26
Schoolgirl From Hell

I tend to twitch my nose like a bunny rabbit when I'm nervous and I'm really shy about it!

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 09-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #27

I go from being dare I say eloquent one moment, to bumbling my way through haphazzardly connected sentences the next.

I think it may have some to do with speaking three languages virtually simultaneously... It's confusing vocabulary-wise. I have colleagues that speak Dutch, Swedish and English... also German, but I don't speak that particularly well.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:01 PM   #28
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
Dude, I have that. It's pectus excavatum. You can get it fixed with a surgical procedure. Best to have it done when you're young because your bones are more flexible.
You know, I just might do that.

Old 09-22-2005, 03:06 PM   #29
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
I guess if it's just making you look fatter than you are, then you should consider yourself lucky...
Some people say that, if people who have my condition get hit hard in that area, their heart stops. It's bullshit, though.

Old 09-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Some people say that, if people who have my condition get hit hard in that area, their heart stops. It's bullshit, though.
Even if you had an open avenue to the heart and punched it it wouldnt cause it to stop beating. It would shock it but not stop.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:16 PM   #31
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
No hon, it's not BS - I know of a kid who had that happen while playing softball - he got hit in the chest, and his heart stopped. They did CPR and got him started again, and he then had the pectus excavatum surgical repair. And you are better off having it done while you are young, and still have some growing to do. If you want me to, I'll explain what the surgery consists of - I've scrubbed several of them.

Lynsie
Old 09-22-2005, 07:07 PM   #32
SamNMax

I've been hit hard countless times in that area. Never once happened to me.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #33
Magic Wand Waver

All it takes is once - in the right spot!

Lynsie
Old 09-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #34
merely human

Yep. The worst thing you could do is ignore it based on your past luck. The best thing you can do is minimize the risk and go to your doctor and say, "What can you do to fix this or at least lessen any problems in the future?"
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #35
SamNMax

I plan to. It's just that at this time of the year, we're kind of strapped for cash now.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #36
capsized.

Mh, interesting. But really, nothing to worry about. I was an ambulance boy once. *grabs his defibrillator*. Just in case....
Old 09-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
No hon, it's not BS - I know of a kid who had that happen while playing softball - he got hit in the chest, and his heart stopped. They did CPR and got him started again, and he then had the pectus excavatum surgical repair. And you are better off having it done while you are young, and still have some growing to do. If you want me to, I'll explain what the surgery consists of - I've scrubbed several of them.

Lynsie
Hmmm, my wife watches those trauma shows on the discovery travel every night and they just discussed this not too long ago. I'm not going to say you are worng because I might have misunderstood but perhaps the impact caused a domino effect triggering a heart stoppage.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:43 PM   #38
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
Hmmm, my wife watches those trauma shows on the discovery travel every night and they just discussed this not too long ago. I'm not going to say you are wrong because I might have misunderstood but perhaps the impact caused a domino effect triggering a heart stoppage.
Have you ever taken CPR? One of the things they tell you is to NEVER try this on a person whose heart is still beating - Why? because you can make it stop by thumping on it. One simple hard impact CAN stop the heart. Or - if the heart has stopped for some reason, a thump can make it start it again. And I wouldn't believe everything you see on TV shows, even on the Discovery channel - there have been some really blatant errors there.

Lynsie
Old 09-22-2005, 08:50 PM   #39
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
1. I inherited my dad's intelligence and vocabulary and my mom's tendency to mispronounce everything. As a result I tend to sound like a wanna-be-pretentious idiot in person. (My roommate makes fun of me every time I screw up saying a word, which is just about all the time.)

2. I'm very forgetful and absent-minded. Somebody will tell me something, and then two minutes later I'll have forgotten it. I then have to flounder and try to pretend I didn't forget it.

3. I'm very clutzy. Tripping over my own feet, knocking over drinks, walking into walls and doors, trying to open a door the wrong way, clunking people with my umbrella, etc. etc. Been there, done that, looked stupid.

4. I'm slow. It takes me forever to "get" things a lot of the time. Considering I know I'm supposed to be smart, this irks me to no end.

So in essence, I'm a graceless absent-minded idiot. ;P
Oh great. Basically, you're me.

1. Yep. It's a variation on E. Henry Thripshaw's Disease.

2. Ask Jack, Kim, or Jake about how I handle feature requests

3. I am unfortunately also employed in a job that requires the use of power tools. I have driven a nail through my thumb before with a nail gun (while building a set for a production of Die Zauberflöte, in fact). I have a rather large scar on my left leg from another workplace accident (not involving power tools).

4. I hear ya'
Old 05-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #40
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Oh great. Basically, you're me.

1. Yep. It's a variation on E. Henry Thripshaw's Disease.

2. Ask Jack, Kim, or Jake about how I handle feature requests

3. I am unfortunately also employed in a job that requires the use of power tools. I have driven a nail through my thumb before with a nail gun (while building a set for a production of Die Zauberflöte, in fact). I have a rather large scar on my left leg from another workplace accident (not involving power tools).

4. I hear ya'
Hahaha, this thread is great. Sorry to dredge it up from the world of yesterday, but it's worth it.

Yep, I mispronounce words all the time. I also say completely the wrong word, and don't tend to realise until I stop speaking and replay the words in my head.

Sample conversation from a few days ago:
"The thing about Sellafield is <extended spiel about Chernobyl>
....did I say Sellafield before?"
"Yes."
"Oh. I meant Chernobyl."
"Yes, I guessed."

See also the bizarre, nonsensical conversation I had the other day, where I had tried to initiate a discussion about Red Dwarf but had in fact said Doctor Who.

And I have my own version of #4, in the form of being super gullible. My flatmates don't even bother stringing me along any more. Another sample conversation:
Flatmate: "I've just won the lottery!!!"
Me: "Really?"
Flatmate: "No."

Sigh.