You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Ghosts, Spirits, Haints, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 08:21 PM   #21
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Spider: I'm familiar with both Penn & Teller and Randi. (Big fan of Penn & Teller, actually. Wish I had enough money to go see one of their shows in person...)

I'm quite a skeptic, myself... I don't believe in much of anything I haven't/can't experience with my own senses. However, I *have* personally experienced some weird stuff in my life; enough to make me think that, if not supernatural, per se, science still has some boundaries to push.

And yes, that's accounting for the various methods of trickery and misinterpretation out there. When I was a kid I became intrigued by the idea of being a parapsychologist, and read everything I could get my hands on, believer and debunker material alike.

Besides, even some of the "misinterpretation" stuff is fascinating in its own right. The placebo effect, for instance.

And to me, the presence of aliens somewhere just seems logical. Let's see... in all the billions of stars and planets out there, *we're* the only intelligent life? I don't buy that.

Peace & Luv, Liz
Old 09-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #22
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

I'm a skeptic, but my mother used to see all kind of weird stuff when she lived in a small town. Blue flames coming out of the ground, weird lights moving in the sky, strange shadows moving around her house, stuff like that.

My brother has a job that makes him travel all around the country, so he has also see weird stuff all the time while traveling. The other day he was telling me a story about how he went to sleep to his room in a hotel in Veracruz and then after a few minutes his co-workers arrived, and still shaking they asked him if he had seen anything strange, he said no and then they told him that they saw an old woman walking around in their room and how they got really scared and ran away. Supposedly, there's a few towns in Veracruz that are full of wizards and witches. When they are there, they always see strange shadows and white figures while driving during night-time.

I always tell him that he works too much
Old 09-08-2005, 08:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
The Skeptic's Dictionary basically says what I think. If people report seeing paranormal activity, I think they're lieing or seeing things (most likely the latter). Is there a possibility such things exist? Sure. I'm not inherently against such things; I think it would be cool if I saw ghost. But I don't have any reason to believe in them right now. Some things don't make much sense when you exam them.
Do you not believe in the bible? They speak of demons. I believe it is demons playing with peoples minds.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:51 PM   #24
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
I've never heard of an unrelated ghost seeking someone out. As far as I know, they tend to stay in certain areas and don't roam around all that much outside their given area.
However, start messing with their stuff, and they'll let you know they're displeased. People who do home remodeling on old houses usually have tons of stories about ghosts who hate a room's new color or don't appreciate modernized interiors or additions.
Then again, at one place I lived in Savannah there was a ghost who'd wake me up by kicking the bed while I slept.

ScottMate
Ah! Stop talking about it! It brings back bad memories when I saw those ghosts walk across my wall when I was a wee lad. They were dressed in 19th century clothing.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
Do you not believe in the bible? They speak of demons. I believe it is demons playing with peoples minds.
I used to be Christian. I didn't believe in demons then either, though. I thought of them as just allegorical.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #26
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Ah! Stop talking about it! It brings back bad memories when I saw those ghosts walk across my wall when I was a wee lad. They were dressed in 19th century clothing.
Okay, but other than appearing in your vicinity, did they mess with you? No.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #27

Quote:
I used to be Christian. I didn't believe in demons then either, though. I thought of them as just allegorical.
Do you not believe in Satan the Devil?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #28
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Is it inconceivable to you that someone might not believe in a red caped creature with horns, a forked tail and cloven hoofs, and who carries a trident?

Lynsie
Old 09-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Not these days I don't. Back then, I wasn't sure but would have leaned towards no.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Is it inconceivable to you that someone might not believe in a red caped creature with horns, a forked tail and cloven hoofs, and who carries a trident?

Lynsie
Actually satan was an angel who coveted Gods power. He is nothing like he is depicted.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Not these days I don't. Back then, I wasn't sure but would have leaned towards no.
Im not exactly Christian myself. I have studied lots of religions but I kind of believe what I read myself int he bible. Many religious leaders have no clue what the bible actually says.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #32
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Captain Blondebeard - you've taken a fun thread about ghosts and such and turned this into a religious discussion. If you really want to talk religion, why not start your own thread about it? The relationship between the two is only tangential at best, and it's kinda bringing down the theme of this one.

Lynsie
Old 09-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Captain Blondebeard - you've taken a fun thread about ghosts and such and turned this into a religious discussion. If you really want to talk religion, why not start your own thread about it? The relationship between the two is only tangential at best, and it's kinda bringing down the theme of this one.

Lynsie
Understood.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #34
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I suppose I did ask for that by mentioning "demons" in the title.
Would any kindly Mod care to edit that one word out of this thread's title? Your time and effort will be deeply appreciated.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #35
merely human

*raises his moddy hand* ME!! ME!! ME!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-08-2005, 10:56 PM   #36
capsized.

Just when I was about to finally go to bed. Aw, man.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:59 PM   #37
merely human

Here are some bone chilling EVP recordings!!

Quote:
EVP is a way to communicate with spirits. Researchers believe that the voices of the dead can be recorded and played back on magnetic audio tape. It is the most modern way to communicate with the spirit world. Some skeptics believe that they are not voices of the dead but radio or CB transmissions.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-09-2005, 01:02 AM   #38
Epinionated.

Those EVP recordings are freakin' scary. I've heard them before when White Noise came out a year back or so (I hear that's a terrible film).

I don't have any ghost stories, only things that have happened to other people - my brother, a friend at college. I won't go into them now, but they're pretty creepy. However, I did have an odd experience just two nights ago in this flat - I live in a converted Victorian house (normal in London). After closing down the computer and going to the bathroom, I noticed my bedroom door was closed. I know I never close it and hadn't been near it all day. I opened it and my room was freezing cold. It had been a humid day outside, the rest of the house reflected that, and it was warm outside (I checked). That was pretty wierd.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:13 AM   #39
merely human

Were there birds at the window that didn't move?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:10 AM   #40
Epinionated.

No, but I was in Soho with friends last night outside a pub in Carnaby Street chatting away when, in the corner of my eye, a small Japanese lady with a white dress appeared. Gave me the fright of my life - she was standing RIGHT next to me, back turned, looking in the shop window I was next to.

I can tell you much laughter was had by all.