You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
Bearly Here

Default What was first thing...

I was just thinking how unususual it is to go gold twice with the same game.

I know the first time it was probably a series of typical parties and catching up on sleep, spurning rabid fans and all that heady stuff.

How was it with this release? Nerves better, worse? Maybe meant more or not?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Bad Mojo Producer

Well, it was a bigger case of nerves this time personally. I wasn't sure if I had done the right thing letting the roach out of the bag again.

Technically, the game wasn't too hard to update, just a lot of details on the code side and some digging on the art side. Making Redux wasn't hard. Neither was the DVD segment. Filming that segment was like a launch party in itself.

After I sent the masters to be duplicated, that's when it all hit me. Will it hold up in today's gaming market. What will the reviewers say?

Back in 1996, we went to all the game magazine and hand held them through stuff. With the growth of the internet, your reviewers aren't limited to a handful of people at IDG or Ziff.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

I know Redux hasn't been out too long yet, but are you happy with the response so far?

-emily
Old 12-17-2004, 03:28 PM   #4
Game Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to serpentbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I know Redux hasn't been out too long yet, but are you happy with the response so far?

-emily
VERY happy. It's so nice to hear you guys say such cool things about the game...
Old 12-17-2004, 03:30 PM   #5
Bearly Here

Quote:
Back in 1996, we went to all the game magazine and hand held them through stuff. With the growth of the internet, your reviewers aren't limited to a handful of people at IDG or Ziff.
I hadn't thought of the explosion of gaming sites and even magazines.

How has that end of things changed aside from the greater number of places to see coverage of your game. Do you think the quality of coverage has improved, or has it been diluted by sheer numbers?

Do you think coverage is more or less professioal?

I just wonder with the imtimacy you would have with just a few major game related pubs, it must feel so remote reading so many sites, mags, blogs and the like talking about Mojo and even you guys on the team.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:31 PM   #6
Bad Mojo Producer

So far the reviews have been great. Lots of kudos to our marketing folks at Got Game. I'm just happy that everyone here seems to have enjoyed it the first time around.

I watched the DVD segment again the other evening and I couldn't stop laughing so I hope everyone gets a kick out of that too. But like everything, there's a lot of footage that we shot still lying on the cutting room floor.

I'm happy it's out of the bag again.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #7
Game Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to serpentbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac

How has that end of things changed aside from the greater number of places to see coverage of your game. Do you think the quality of coverage has improved, or has it been diluted by sheer numbers?

I just wonder with the imtimacy you would have with just a few major game related pubs, it must feel so remote reading so many sites, mags, blogs and the like talking about Mojo and even you guys on the team.

More is better. Though I just heard about this metascore site. What's up with that? Maybe more isn't better.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:37 PM   #8
Bad Mojo Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac

The coverage is great. It's like a perfect use for the internet. People get to freely exchange their ideas and aren't beholden to the lucky few that get their ideas in print.

The quality of the review is good. All too often, I think mag publishers are always worried about selling books. When you publish a review on the internet, you're not under that constraint. You get to voice your opinion. Futhermore, you receive feedback on what you've written.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:53 PM   #9
Hopeful skeptic

I wonder if the mainstream gaming media will cover it this time around. As a rerelease, it's difficult to gauge by standard terms. The game got consistently positive reviews the first time through, but it's really hard to measure a rerelease. Do you judge it as a 2004 release or a 1996 one? You may see a differing response to that question. AG, of course, handled it properly.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:58 PM   #10
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
AG, of course, handled it properly.
I must say that you are a master on sucking up to people. You don't only suck up to others, but also to yourself. Amazing...

Old 12-17-2004, 03:59 PM   #11
Bad Mojo Producer

I am just laughing so hard right now.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:02 PM   #12
Mostly absent

It's what I do.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:28 PM   #13
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
I must say that you are a master on sucking up to people. You don't only suck up to others, but also to yourself. Amazing...
Hey, I just give props where it's due.