You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 09:22 AM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default PC vs Mac

I don't remember the buzz when this game first came out (I had just started college and sorta lost track of adventure games) but, at the time, Macs were still the computers of choice (in my little world, anyway!) I know your game uses QuickTime... just curious you initially created the game with the Mac in mind, then ported to PC, or the other way around?

Do you have a platform of choice now?

-emily
Old 12-17-2004, 09:27 AM   #2
Game Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to serpentbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I don't remember the buzz when this game first came out (I had just started college and sorta lost track of adventure games) but, at the time, Macs were still the computers of choice (in my little world, anyway!) I know your game uses QuickTime... just curious you initially created the game with the Mac in mind, then ported to PC, or the other way around?

Do you have a platform of choice now?

-emily
Yes. Mac. Mac. Mac. Bill Gates pulled the wool over the world's eyes and now the world has gone insane. Why can't people see this?

I'm ducking now cuz here come the flames...VC
Old 12-17-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

No flames from me. You're my new best friend.

Now, that said... I understand Redux runs in Classic mode. I'm curious why this choice was made, rather than doing some reprogramming to get the game to run in OSX. Too much work? No perceived need? Just curious, because at least one Mac user around here (not me) was a bit disappointed to learn the game ran in Classic.

And another question - looking at today's PC vs. Mac market share, if you were to make another game today, would you also make it Mac compatible?

-emily
Old 12-17-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
Bad Mojo Producer

The artwork was mostly created on the Mac. The code for running the game was PC first and then ported to Mac.

I think the Mac is a great platform. OSX was certainly a big advance. Unfortunately, Apple could never really decide if they wanted to be a hardware or software company. Had they chosen the latter, I'd be running OSX instead of XP.

In the end, developing a game requires the use of both platforms. Even producing Redux this time, the Making of Bad Mojo short was created in Final Cut on a G5, but the DVD was mastered using Adobe Encore on a PC.

Last edited by MojoAlex; 12-17-2004 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:42 AM   #5
Game Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

Now, that said... I understand Redux runs in Classic mode. I'm curious why this choice was made, rather than doing some reprogramming to get the game to run in OSX. Too much work? No perceived need? Just curious, because at least one Mac user around here (not me) was a bit disappointed to learn the game ran in Classic.

And another question - looking at today's PC vs. Mac market share, if you were to make another game today, would you also make it Mac compatible?

-emily
Alex Louie and the tech guys made the decision to go for Classic mode, so I will let him reply to the technical part of the question.

As for a new game, personally, I would want to do a Mac version because that's where my heart is, but Apple has been historically terrible about supporting game developers (unless you're Bungee) and I question their committment to games as a whole. I'd want to sit down with Steve Jobs and personally thank him for everything he has done to bring the Mac back into the public eye and for being their to create the damn thing in the first place, but then I would would tell him that he dropped the ball on games. I have told Apple this a million times. I cannot tell you how many meetings I have taken in Cupertino with the so-called game evangelists that have gone NOWHERE. So I say: WAKE UP APPLE. The IPOD ain't gonna do it alone. You need to sell CPUS and games sell CPUS so give me 5 million dollars and I'll make you a flagship Mac game that will launch a thousand ships.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
Bad Mojo Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

-emily
1) Most likely we'd make a game that was both PC and Mac. However, that would depend on the programming constraints rather than our desire.

2) Classic vs OSX native. Given the time constraints of this project, I wanted to stay with the Classic code because it's stable. The move to OS X wasn't as simple as upgrading Windows 16-bit to Windows 32-bit code. As you know, Mac used a two fork system in the past. With OSX, there's no resource fork.

Last edited by MojoAlex; 12-17-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
So I say: WAKE UP APPLE. The IPOD ain't gonna do it alone. You need to sell CPUS and games sell CPUS so give me 5 million dollars and I'll make you a flagship Mac game that will launch a thousand ships.
Ahh, that was refreshing.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:19 AM   #8
Game Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Ahh, that was refreshing.

It was refreshing when I said it in 1990. Now it's just plain irritating. Apple makes the best damn machine, the best OS and their poor share-holders have to suffer with a measely 2% market share. You can't blame it on John Sculley anymore. Now is Apple's time, while they have the Ipod mindshare. They MUST do something big and bold.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:25 AM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

It seems like Apple has been doing that all its life. I agree, it's frustrating. A friend of mine worked for Apple in the 80s. She was in the room when some IBM mucky-mucks asked if they could license the Mac OS and Apple essentially told them to buzz off. And then came Windows.

Have you had any meetings in Cupertino recently?

-emily
Old 12-17-2004, 12:26 PM   #10
Game Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
It seems like Apple has been doing that all its life. I agree, it's frustrating. A friend of mine worked for Apple in the 80s. She was in the room when some IBM mucky-mucks asked if they could license the Mac OS and Apple essentially told them to buzz off. And then came Windows.

Have you had any meetings in Cupertino recently?

-emily
No. But about a year ago Apple approcahed me about working for them and I told them I would LOVE to. I still have a very soft spot in my heart for Apple. They are one of the greatest brands in America. They are like Coke or Heinz ketchup, they are premium and I would be proud to work there and help make a difference. You can tell Steve Jobs I'll shine his shoes if that's what it would take. VC

Last edited by serpentbox; 12-17-2004 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling error