You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Top 5 amateur games you have to play!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 01:25 AM   #21

1 - Kings Quest II.

That's it. Some others are nice, but light years from the Tierra remake in my opinion, graphics/puzzles/humour/plot wise.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:35 AM   #22
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
1 - Kings Quest II.

That's it. Some others are nice, but light years from the Tierra remake in my opinion, graphics/puzzles/humour/plot wise.
Of course it is much easier to build upon an established world. Even though they rewrote most of the original story, the foundation has already been laid by a team of professionals.

--Erwin
Old 07-19-2005, 04:04 AM   #23
Psychonaut

Is this the Top 5 you have played

- Apprentice I & II
- Crique de Zale
- Other Worlds
- Case of the Crabs
- Brain Hotel

or future games

- Bad Timing
- Broken Sword 2.5
- Rise of the Hidden Sun
- Star Wars : Shadow of the Empire
- Kings Quest IX
Old 07-19-2005, 04:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Of course it is much easier to build upon an established world. Even though they rewrote most of the original story, the foundation has already been laid by a team of professionals.

--Erwin
That's true, but I don't think many people could make such a great game with the same foundations. It looks like an official Sierra remake, only better.
So even taking into account that it was a remake, I still feel like it's way ahead of the others.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:18 AM   #25
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
That's true, but I don't think many people could make such a great game with the same foundations. It looks like an official Sierra remake, only better.
So even taking into account that it was a remake, I still feel like it's way ahead of the others.
Can't argue about that. I can't wait for their first original game, Al Emmo.

--Erwin
Old 07-21-2005, 11:51 AM   #26
Elegantly copy+pasted

I'd be quite happy if they'd just release the QFG2 remake, already!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:49 PM   #27
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
I'd be quite happy if they'd just release the QFG2 remake, already!
Are they still working on that? I mean, You'd think all their time is spent on El Ammo these days.

--Erwin
Old 07-22-2005, 01:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Are they still working on that? I mean, You'd think all their time is spent on El Ammo these days.

--Erwin
From what it says on their site, yes. It seems to be very near completion (they say it's completely playable, albeit far from being even an alpha version).
I'm not expecting QFG2 as much as El Ammo, not being a QFG fan, but seeing what they did to KQ2, well, I sure as hell am going to download and play it as soon as it's released.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:03 AM   #29
Elegantly copy+pasted

To be perfectly honest, I think it has been a mistake for Tierra/AGDI/Himalaya Studios to down-prioritize the QFG2 remake while working on Al Emmo. The game was originally announced for 2004. Now 2005 is beginning to look dubious. For a team that highlights their reliability (e.g. in their bios: "Using his remarkable management skills, he completed his first project within 9 months; his second project was completed nearly a year later. Whereas most endeavors by virtual teams are never completed, Mr. Warren was able to see each project through to the end."), this complete breakdown of scheduling does not inspire confidence.

I have no doubts the game will be completed eventually, I'm just concerned about the effect the delay will have on people's perceptions. If they want to go professional, the two things Himalaya Studios need to manage carefully is fan goodwill and investor faith in their ability to deliver.

I am a big QFG fan, so I am very excited about the QFG2 remake. It reportedly won't be as revisionistic as KQ2VGA+, but QFG2 is a strong game in its own right. As long as it stays true to the original (they say it will) and the graphics are half-decent (from released screenshots they are OK, though not fantastic), I really don't see how they can go wrong. The premise of Al Emmo doesn't sound nearly as interesting to me (who needs Freddy Pharkas meets Leisure Suit Larry?) , but given that it's written by Daniel Stacy, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I might even purchase it just as a "thank you" for KQ2VGA+ and QFG2.