You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Default Red Dwarf game ???

I think this is the right place to post this thread -

- about 5 years ago I downloaded a freeware adventure game based on the best sc-fi comedy tv show ever.

That's Red Dwarf in case you were wondering

I downloaded it from this source -

http://www.download.com/Games/2001-2...0.html?tag=dir

I remember playing this game and feeling very satisfied by it - it wasn't a great game, but considering it was free I was quite impressed.

I looked at the site yesterday and a search for this game turned out no results at all

So if anyone remembers this game or has played it, or even has a copy stored on their pc then I would be the most grateful person in the world

I am really hoping that someone can help me out here
Old 04-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
pain is love

I'm guessing this could be the one:

http://www.sharetool.com/Games/Adven...Game_7348.html

360 kb, text adventure with graphics?

EDIT: I downloaded it, but I have trouble starting it. It's browser based BTW

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja

Last edited by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja; 04-14-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Excellent!!!!
I really don't know how you found this (I did numerous searches and came up with zilch!)

Anyway, I've taken a quick look and this could be it - I'm downloading it right now, so I'll let you know
Old 04-14-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Excellent!!!!
I really don't know how you found this (I did numerous searches and came up with zilch!)
Well, it's not really that hard, i googled "red dwarf adventure pc". See it if works, and tell me. I'm a big fan, but I never heard of this before.

by_100ja
Old 04-18-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
Well, it's not really that hard, i googled "red dwarf adventure pc". See it if works, and tell me. I'm a big fan, but I never heard of this before.

Bad news I'm afraid - downloaded the game perfectly well, but nothing I do will enable me to play it!!

I'm pretty sure the one I played wasn't a browser game like this one is!

Oh well - I definitely downloaded from http://www.cnet.com/ but seen as though there's no archive to search through I guess I won't ever be able to find this game

Oh well, it really wasn't that great, but for a Red Dwarf fan like me it was quite enjoyable

-
Old 04-18-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
pain is love

I found a working version of the game, along with a three other games (not advs though) here: http://www.planetsmeg.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?games

EDIT: there is also a zip file of the game in the downloads section of the site, and lots of more RD related stuff.

THE MOTHER OF ALL EDITS: But it still doesn't work. My guess it has something to do with JRE or security. Anyway, you CAN play it on the net.

by_100ja

Last edited by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja; 04-18-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:57 PM   #7
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
I found a working version of the game, along with a three other games (not advs though) here: http://www.planetsmeg.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?games

EDIT: there is also a zip file of the game in the downloads section of the site, and lots of more RD related stuff.

THE MOTHER OF ALL EDITS: But it still doesn't work. My guess it has something to do with JRE or security. Anyway, you CAN play it on the net.
Thanks for the link, but this still isn't the one I originally played - it definitely wasn't an online game - I downloaded it fron c-net and played it offline as a 1st person adventure.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:08 PM   #8
Translate Me

Quote:
Thanks for the link, but this still isn't the one I originally played - it definitely wasn't an online game - I downloaded it fron c-net and played it offline as a 1st person adventure.
This one, Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, used to be available from c-net, so it may be the one you are looking for.

Cheers,
doroposo
Old 04-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #9

wow i love red dwarf and adventure games so finding a copy of this would be great!! please let me know if anyone finds a copy!
Old 05-08-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by doroposo
This one, Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, used to be available from c-net, so it may be the one you are looking for.

Cheers,
doroposo

No, this still isn't the one I played - as far as I can remember, a lot of the action took place on either Starbug or Red Dwarf and I think it was a 1st person game although I could be wrong! I'm pretty sure it involved a lot of puzzle solving.

The game itself might not have even been that great but I just want to play it again - for old time's sake
Old 05-08-2005, 10:55 PM   #11

Are you talking about Michael Dodson's Red Dwarf game? I'm trying to find a link for you but there aren't many places you can download it from anymore. That was a first person graphic adventure. You played Lister and had to find your missing crewmates.

From what I can see, the only place to get them from is Completely Free Software (http://www.completelyfreesoftware.com/ ) but you have to pay for membership to download anything.

EDIT: I've been in touch with Michael Dodson and he provided this URL:

www.alandod.plus.com/RD1.exe

You may also need these:

www.alandod.plus.com/VBRUN300.dll
www.alandod.plus.com/Readme.doc

Last edited by Yahtzee; 05-10-2005 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Information update
Old 05-13-2005, 06:57 AM   #12
kamikaze hummingbirds

the VBRUN300.dll link doesnt worK!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #13
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

One of the eleventy squillion (it's a real number!) links here is bound to though...
Old 05-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #14
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
Are you talking about Michael Dodson's Red Dwarf game? I'm trying to find a link for you but there aren't many places you can download it from anymore. That was a first person graphic adventure. You played Lister and had to find your missing crewmates.

From what I can see, the only place to get them from is Completely Free Software (http://www.completelyfreesoftware.com/ ) but you have to pay for membership to download anything.

EDIT: I've been in touch with Michael Dodson and he provided this URL:

www.alandod.plus.com/RD1.exe

I just downloaded this and it looks like the one I was looking for!

Seems to work fine from that link.

Old 05-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #15
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Dammit!
I had forgotten that this game consisted of 5 downloads
Unfortunately the link provided was only for the first part of the game - I still need to get the other 4 parts, but I can't find a single link to them anywhere on the net

If anyone knows where I can get them, please let me know, as my frustration level is about to reach boiling point!!!!

Old 05-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #16
Retirement is stupid

I think someone should make an adventure game based on Manhunter's search for the Red Dwarf game.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 05-30-2005, 03:29 PM   #17
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
I think someone should make an adventure game based on Manhunter's search for the Red Dwarf game.

Hehe
I think my quest would make a great adventure game - I would be more than happy to provide full details to any interested developers

Old 05-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #18

Use the same URL as above, but replace RD1 with RD2. Repeat until all chapters downloaded.

The reason I was able to get in touch with Michael Dodson, incidentally, is that he and I are old schoolmates. It was because of competition from him and his Red Dwarf games that I designed my first games. Just a wee bit of amateur adventure trivia for y'all.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #19
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
Use the same URL as above, but replace RD1 with RD2. Repeat until all chapters downloaded.

Of course!!!
That worked - I managed to download all 5 episodes, but now I am well and truly stuck on RD2 - I've managed to dry the wet clay key to get into the castle but I really don't know what to do next????
There are no walkthroughs available on the net, so if anyone has any ideas or links to a walkthrough then I would be most happy!!!

Old 06-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Of course!!!
That worked - I managed to download all 5 episodes, but now I am well and truly stuck on RD2 - I've managed to dry the wet clay key to get into the castle but I really don't know what to do next????
There are no walkthroughs available on the net, so if anyone has any ideas or links to a walkthrough then I would be most happy!!!

Do you still need help with this? I can walk you through the whole level if you like.

Also, if anyone knows anything about RD3, please reply as I am well and truly stuck! Literally, I'm about midway through the level and have tried just about every combination there is, to no avail..

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.