Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   Any Tips For A Newbie (AGS)? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/766-any-tips-newbie-ags.html)

bootzboy 11-06-2003 11:12 AM

Any Tips For A Newbie (AGS)?

Hello!

I'm new to programming with AGS (Ive been using an older program, I'm not even sure where I got it but I deleted it recently) and am just starting out with my game. I assume I should start with a little backstory.

The basic plot is a mystery from the get go and without going too far in depth you the player watch an opening scene of a young woman walking a path up a snowy mountain talking to herself. The title roles (The Dark Chronicles : Returning Home) and you start Act 1. You're in this ski lodge place and from there you go in a rustic chairlift, a large mansion, secret catacombs, and a gorgeous garden all while discovering the past of your character, the reason she is at this luxurious and exotic estate and the secret behind it all.

I'm working on a more final copy of Act 1 which I want to put up on the net to see how people reply. I just want to know if any of you guys have tips for someone who is just starting. I have been using the tutorials and all that to do color palettes and stuff but anything - whether it be technical, or storywise - would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou for reading! Happy Gaming!
- bootz

Erwin_Br 11-06-2003 11:39 AM

Think big, start small. ;)

And spend a lot of time at the AGS forums. Very helpful people there.

--Erwin

AGA 11-06-2003 11:55 AM

Yeah, www.agsforums.com/yabb - go there, introduce yourself and get the latest version of AGS.

jannar85 11-06-2003 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Think big, start small. ;)

Hey! You stole my motto! Just I have the other way around.
"Start small, think big"

eriq 11-06-2003 12:54 PM

Bootsboy, that sounds like a FUN game! Be sure to keep us all posted with a website or pictures and stuff. I'm really into watching the development of games and I'm sure lots of fans on here are as well.

I'm particularly interested in the Unnamed Joe project as well as the King's Quest IX and Space Quest whichever one projects.

bootzboy 11-06-2003 01:53 PM

Thankyou

Thankyou for all the tips, I'm definitely starting small and taking my time. Act 1 in my concept map has about 4 screens but I may narrow it down to 2. I did a lot today but I gotta study for a chem test tomorrow so I'm quitting for the night.

I've included a picture of the opening room which is where the game starts in Act 1 : The Ski Lodge.

Tomorrow I plan on making my opening cutscene, designing my lead and secondary characters, and animating my backgrounds because the fireplace looks pretty boring with the big black hole.

Well thanks for the advice!
- bootz

bootzboy 11-06-2003 01:57 PM

agh

must nothing work lol, it's too big :-( sorry!!!!