You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
kamikaze hummingbirds

Default Any good AGs?

I've recently been downloading loads of games of www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk, and i was wondering if there were any underground free adventures (quite long) that are really good?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
I've recently been downloading loads of games of www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk, and i was wondering if there were any underground free adventures (quite long) that are really good?
King Quest 2 remake is great.
5 days a stranger is very good, quite spooky.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:08 PM   #3
Doctor Watson

7 Days a Skeptic
Apprentice 2
Old 02-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
Game Creator Hobbyist

Worth noting is also that not all good games are at www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk - only games made with the tool AGS. If I may be so bold as to suggest my own site, you should take a look at The Crow's Nest. Winners of the TCN Awards can be a good place to start.

(In case you're too lazy to check TCN for the games, the winners for "best game" have been: Cubert Badbone, Out of Order and Apprentice II. Three games I also can personally recommend 100%.)

Last edited by Trumgottist; 02-27-2005 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #5

Two of a Kind. Of course, I'm a bit biased, haha. But a lot of people really enjoy it (It got 2nd place for Best Game in this year's TCN Awards), so it's a safe bet.

Other great amateur adventures include: "King's Quest II+", "Pleurburgh: Dark Ages", "5 Days a Stranger" and "7 Days a Skeptic", and the "Larry Vales" series.

Those are just the ones I can remember of the top of my head. But there are plenty of excellent ones out there.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:55 AM   #6
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

"Cirque de Zale" is good. I really enjoyed playing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
7 Days a Skeptic
Apprentice 2

I second that.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-28-2005, 06:10 AM   #7
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist
Out of Order and Apprentice II. Three games I also can personally recommend 100%.)
Absolutely! Out of Order I've played all the way through and it surpasses many commercial games on many levels. I think if you just added voice-acting it would be sit well on the shelves (Wasn't it originally developed commercially?)

Apprentice 2 I haven't yet been able to complete. You should really play Apprentice 1 first as an introduction (it's intended to be a trilogy according to latest news)

Do you want recommendations for good games from the adventure game studio site as well or are you happy sorting through the reader comments at the moment?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-28-2005, 08:52 AM   #8
Elegantly copy+pasted

I have to say I find the user feedback (and rating) on the AGS games page severely unreliable. Word of mouth on the AGS forums is a much better guide to the real gems. Some of the ones that haven't been mentioned:

The Ben Jordan games rise rapidly in quality, from a so-so first game to a very good indeed Ben Jordan 3.

Grrr! Bearly Sane is also quite excellent.

Also check out The Trials of Odysseus Kent for an oldschool LucasArts-type experience, and Quest for Glory 4.5 for a more unorthodox take on Sierra games.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

BLARGH. ALMOST ALL GOOD. But of course you read all those reviews before posting in this forum...
Old 05-05-2005, 07:50 AM   #10
kamikaze hummingbirds

they just closed down The Crows Nest.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
they just closed down The Crows Nest.

This is a Black Thursday for the Adventure Gaming Community...

Why do all bad things happen on Thursdays?

-

Old 05-05-2005, 09:25 AM   #12
kamikaze hummingbirds

probably something to do with the four horsemen of the apocalypse's schedule... its very tight nowadays due to the fact that they all have families.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #13
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Pure comedy gold!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #14
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
This is a Black Thursday for the Adventure Gaming Community...

Why do all bad things happen on Thursdays?

-
Actually, I noticed the site was closed down several days ago. But it could have been exactly a week ago, too, so you may be right.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:18 AM   #15
Old lady who loves games

Default Crows Nest

Quote:
Worth noting is also that not all good games are at www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk - only games made with the tool AGS. If I may be so bold as to suggest my own site, you should take a look at The Crow's Nest. Winners of the TCN Awards can be a good place to start.

(In case you're too lazy to check TCN for the games, the winners for "best game" have been: Cubert Badbone, Out of Order and Apprentice II. Three games I also can personally recommend 100%.)
Hi I tried to go on The Crows Nest site a little while ago and my browser said it was closed down. Have you been there recently?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #16
Old lady who loves games

Default Freeware

Quote:

Here are a couple of sites you can try

www.fullgames.sk
www.bigbluecup.com
www.gameboomers.com/FreeGames.html

Give these a try, hope you find what you're looking for.

StarLite
Old 05-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #17
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLite
Hi I tried to go on The Crows Nest site a little while ago and my browser said it was closed down. Have you been there recently?
Not since I closed it completely, no. (Not much point in going there now, is it?) Main places to look for games now are this place and Quandary.

(And it was not on a Thursday. It closed the 16th of April - a Saturday several weeks before it was noticed here.)
Old 05-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Not since I closed it completely, no. (Not much point in going there now, is it?) Main places to look for games now are this place and Quandary.

(And it was not on a Thursday. It closed the 16th of April - a Saturday several weeks before it was noticed here.)

But WHY did you close it?

I have lost a substantial part of my family in the closing of the Crow's Nest. I did not go there as often as I go here, but I still loved the site.

In fond memory
of

THE CROW'S NEST

ca. 1999 - 16. April 2005

Don't follow the path.
Walk where there are no paths,
And leave a track.

-

Last edited by Jazhara7; 05-26-2005 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Completed Gravestone
Old 05-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #19
Game Creator Hobbyist

Default Some TCN History

I don't know the exact date The Crow's Nest started (too long ago to remember) but some "archeology" led me to this old archived snapshot of TCN. It contains news from late 1999, and it was somewhere around there it got started, by Erkki Lindpere.

It practically died off in 2001, mostly due to lack of interest from the general public. I volunteered to keep the site running (for some more details, read this old thread), got Erkki's permission and all the files and re-opened it 2002.03.03.

Why was it closed permanently a month ago? Things got into a state where it was impossible to keep it going. I saw no other option than to close it down.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #20

Quote:
I don't know the exact date The Crow's Nest started (too long ago to remember) but some "archeology" led me to this old archived snapshot of TCN.

That's alright. My mother has met people in her job, that don't know their exact birthdate (I guess it must be pretty sad for the person. In that case, it was because they were from a rural area, where they could not reach the authorities that fast, in order to tell about a birth. And during the harvest, people didn't have time. So all children born late summer and autumn in that area are officially "born" on the same day - the day after the end of the harvest.).

I just have one more request. Could I maybe have a copy of that cute Crow that was the logo at the end? I adore Crows (And Ravens! And Magpies!) - they are such lovely birds (and they are actually very loving parents. They both care for their children). Don't worry, I wouldn't steal it - I just want to print it out and hang it in my room. (only if that is okay with you, of course)

-