Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   7 Days a Skeptic (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/3977-7-days-skeptic.html)

Big Bad John 07-20-2004 11:15 AM

7 Days a Skeptic

Looks like Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is creating a sequal to 5 Days a Stranger. Good thing if you ask me, I loved 5 days

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com

Bottom of that page

g2-man 07-20-2004 11:50 AM

Sounds cool. Still have to get round to playing 5 Days a Stranger, but have heard good things from reliable sources.

guybrush_guy 07-20-2004 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g2-man
Sounds cool. Still have to get round to playing 5 Days a Stranger, but have heard good things from reliable sources.

same here. i thought there was a review someware on the site but i guess not

g2-man 07-20-2004 02:16 PM

Indeed, there is a review.

Sky Warrior Bob 07-20-2004 03:36 PM

While I *LOVED* 5 Days a Stranger, I'm not so sure I'll be keen on this new title. I mean, part of the fun of 5 Days was the mystery, but unless its done really well, I don't like the idea of the masked killer being some sort of re-occuring villian.

Then again, maybe those sprites will only get used in a Flashback sequence, and the story will focus more on the the mysterious wooden idol. I initially thought that it had a curse upon it or something when I played the game, but then late in the game learned that it was the killing instrument the father used on the twisted misbegotten son.

However, that doesn't rule out that it had mystic properties of in its own right, and I certainly hope that's what the sequel will focus in on...

Sky Warrior Bob

Petteri 07-21-2004 05:21 AM

I'm interested in seeing how this game will turn out. Seeing that the masked killer is doing an appearance in this game, Yahtzee might be mocking horror movie sequels, if you have read his movie reviews, most of them are horror movie sequels.

So, yeah, I'm really waiting for this game. :)

RLacey 07-21-2004 07:03 AM

I've always been a fan of Yahtzee's games, so I look forward to this one :).

bigjko 07-21-2004 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadworm222
I hereby inform you all, again, that I want to personally strangle Yahtthatzzzee. Even though dead would be too good for him. I'd rather torture him to death. Yes. Torture.

Don't talk to me about Yahaatahatahatahatahzhztzhztahatzhztzheee!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111!!111111 *rage*

Why all the hate?

Sky Warrior Bob 07-21-2004 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko
Why all the hate?

Maybe the guy has a phobia about all things named Yahtzee. Hey it can happen...

I mean, have you ever played that game?

Sky Warrior Bob

Petteri 07-22-2004 02:17 AM

For those of you who don't know it yet, the game is available for download at Yahtzee's site.

I'm really enjoying it! The news about the sequel came all of sudden so I didn't know what to wait from it, so I'm really impressed and I like it!

Wormsie 07-22-2004 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko
Why all the hate?

Let's just say...

...I'm as Yahtzee-phobic as Yahtzee is homophobic.

AGA 07-22-2004 11:22 AM

Use spoiler tags please, some people might not have reached that far :P

UPtimist 07-23-2004 12:53 PM

Hmm... In my opinion not as good as 5 Days... but that's just my opinion.

Sky Warrior Bob 07-23-2004 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPtimist
Hmm... In my opinion not as good as 5 Days... but that's just my opinion.

I agree & disagree. Where this game shines is character interaction. Unlike 5 Days, if something new happens, you can talk to the characters and they'll react. And with a spaceship, the setting opens up a lot of interesting interactivity.

Plot-wise, I'll agree that it leaves much to be desired. It ends up being too much of a re-telling of 5 Days, just with a new setting, minus the interesting revelations of 5 Days.

Improvements I'd suggest are as follows...
Spoiler:
Using a Oracle/Communicative Spirit, to either fill in the gaps or otherwise relay information. And said Oracle wouln't necessarily have to spill all the beans at once, to quote Hellboy:The Lost Army : The dead were confused, as a rule. Death did that. The lure of the afterlife and the need to complete unfinished business was pretty stressfull, from all accounts.

So if you follow that kind of reasoning, the dead character could spirit in & out of the picture. Progressing the story, as needed. And just being cryptic & unhelpful enough to encourage a sense of fear & paranoia, without providing any clear course of action.

I'd also recommend expanding on the significance of the Idol. I mean, I can't believe it didn't have anything to do with the madness of the Rodrick DeFoe. Plus, given the way William was ordered about, there seemed to be some sort of method to the madness. Which suggests to me that the idol might contain an evil that is more intelligent than the twisted Defoe spirit

Heck, maybe even throw in a plot twist like making the Defoe spirit not the evil incarnate that he's been made out to be thus far. Without the idol, maybe his spirit would be similar to the childlike Frankenstein.

Sky Warrior Bob

Monkey Face 07-24-2004 03:06 AM

Hi. I'm currently stuck in one specific part of the game and I can't for the life of me figure out what to do next :frusty: :

Spoiler:
The part where the captain murders Angely and them attemps to kill you. Well I've managed to pick up the gun and shoot him, and then I picked up the towel rod and left the room. I've searched all of the ship and have managed to locate all of the surving crew members, but I don't know what to do next.

Could someone please guide me in the right direction and tell me what to do next.

Sky Warrior Bob 07-24-2004 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Face
Could someone please guide me in the right direction and tell me what to do next.

This is by far, the most difficult & counter intuitive puzzle of the game..

Spoiler:
Go to the engine room. Go into the shadows, on the right. If you position yourself correctly, the Captain will stand looking over the railing. Then its time for baseball, with an item you mentioned previously.

SWB

Marek 07-24-2004 04:08 AM

Yahtzee is the most universally hated man in the amateur adventure community, for reasons that still aren't completely clear to me. I found it's best to not ask questions about it. :o

Eddy 07-24-2004 05:19 AM

I just downloaded it but wat do ye have to do in the begin of the game?

Erwin_Br 07-24-2004 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek
Yahtzee is the most universally hated man in the amateur adventure community, for reasons that still aren't completely clear to me. I found it's best to not ask questions about it. :o

Well, let me do it for you then:

Where does this controversy come from people? (Or should I ask this on the AGS forums?)

--Erwin

Sky Warrior Bob 07-24-2004 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy
I just downloaded it but wat do ye have to do in the begin of the game?

Talk to the Captain. That'll give you an idea.