Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   Point & Click adventure value? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/3622-point-click-adventure-value.html)

fistcosmetic 06-17-2004 04:34 AM

Point & Click adventure value?

Hi guys!

I was wandering if anyone can help me on following matter?
Me and my friends are very much eager to develop our own point & click adventure.
But what troubles us is what we can get for it?
How much the publishers will be ready to pay for it?

If any of you have some experience with this matter or knows where to look for please tell me...

Your answers will be most appreciated...

Ninja Dodo 06-17-2004 05:00 AM

I think the first thing to know if you're going to develop a game is that you should do it for the fun of it, not for money. The chances of getting signed by a publisher are very very slim for even the most popular styles of game and going for a niche like point & click is obviously not helping your chances much.

Just go and make an awesome game for yourself and whatever your intended audience is and have a great time doing it. Then, if against all odds you do get a publisher that's a nice added bonus.

VoodooFX 06-17-2004 09:47 AM

Well i don't mean to discourage you, but someone gave the numbers somewhere in these forums, on how much does every involving party take of the profit, needless to say, developer is on the bottom of the paylist.

g2-man 06-17-2004 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoodooFX
developer is on the bottom of the paylist

Typical really.

I'd just re-iterate Ninja Dodo's advice, only make the game if you *have to* create the game, you really want to and you hope it'll be fun. From a monetary point of view, whilst it might not instantly produce cash, having created a game is definitely a plus on your CV if you should ever want to get into a game development company.

Stinger 06-19-2004 09:36 PM

I want to chime in on this because it's a topic close to my heart...I think you'll be much, much better off self-publishing a game than ever letting a publisher near it. In order to have a game that a modern publisher would touch, you'll have to really have some cutting edge techniques; you can't just throw something together in AGS, even if it looks really good. Self-publishing, on the other hand, at least gives you the control, and obviously Michael B. Clark thought it was the right decision for The Arrangement.

Maquisard 06-19-2004 11:22 PM

let's ask the local self-publisher. Erwin, how much money do you hope to make off a game sold? I don't mean the price tag you put on it, but the profit.

Zygomaticus 06-19-2004 11:35 PM

I thought Erwin's Bad Timing was going to be out for free... :confused:

Erwin_Br 06-20-2004 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
let's ask the local self-publisher. Erwin, how much money do you hope to make off a game sold? I don't mean the price tag you put on it, but the profit.

Less than $2 per copy is what I calculated. Everything else goes to packaging, printing, shipping and of course the CD-Rom itself. And I have to sell 25 copies to earn back my $50 license of the engine I'm developing with.

I don't mind, though. I never intended to make a lot of money out of it and I'm having great fun making this game. :)

--Erwin

Maquisard 06-20-2004 06:11 AM

To echo Kode, I thought Sludge was for free :confused:

Maybe that changes when it's used for a comercial game...

jannar85 06-20-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
To echo Kode, I thought Sludge was for free :confused:

Maybe that changes when it's used for a comercial game...

Well. Sludge displays a nag-screen on the games developed with the engine, if it's not payed for. You need a licence.