Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   The Question is... Why do you use AGS? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/3120-question-why-do-you-use-ags.html)

Wormsie 04-30-2004 10:57 PM

The Question is... Why do you use AGS?

I've always been wondering why so many people use AGS. So, with this freaky Poll as the moodsetter, tell us why you use or don't use AGS.

:spam:

Why don't I use AGS? (At the moment, I might convert). Back when I started looking into the different adventure game creation programs, I went to the AGS page, and it was, first of all, quite bad. I don't remember if there was a Windows version yet - probably not, or if there was one, it was the first beta or something similar, with a big red text warning that it was unstable and ate people. Also, the support for different resolutions wasn't really that grand back then - 320*240 was the highest, if I remember correctly - and besides, according to the AGS system specifications, my PC would still have problems in running any game that uses high resolution. I tried some AGS games, and they had flickering sprites. The way files HAD to be named in a certain way made me think that AGS was obviously something very special, and chose Agast.

I believe that a thousand AGS fans will prove me wrong with an added-features list. Hit me. I'm not afraid.

To be fair, I must add that nowadays AGS is a lot better. The amount of casualties has dropped significantly.

RLacey 05-01-2004 01:10 AM

Well, despite not ever having finished anything, I picked AGS because I was introduced to it through playing the Rob Blanc games.

I was put off the other engines through the need for even more scripting than AGS requires. And AGS does have a nice, large, supportive community that doesn't yell at me when I ask stupid questions :)...

Wormsie 05-01-2004 01:37 AM

Why do you dislike scripting?

Toefur 05-01-2004 02:16 AM

I use AGS because so far it's been the best, and easiest program for me to use to make adventure games. (If there's a better/more efficient program/whatever/, please don't hesitate to suggest me one. I sort of stumbled upon AGS one day, and didn't bother to look for anything else). Oh. And I couldn't script/program if my life depended on it.

remixor 05-01-2004 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadworm222
I believe that a thousand AGS fans will prove me wrong with an added-features list. Hit me. I'm not afraid.

There wouldn't even be a point. The engine is so far advanced beyond the point you describe that you might as well be talking about an entirely different engine. AGS is rather ridiculously fully-featured at the moment, and Chris Jones updates so frequently that it's hard to keep track of all the newly added features. It has definitely far surpassed the LEC and Sierra systems it once strove to emulate in terms of capability.

dave_minall 05-01-2004 02:29 AM

i like it because it has the mix of script/user interface that makes it easier to use. you dont have to be a wizz at programming to use it.

AGA 05-01-2004 03:09 AM

AGS has an amazing amount of features, more than any one game developer will ever need to use. With some creative scripting, almost anything is possible. It also has a great, supportive community. Plus, if you bug CJ (the creator) enough, he'll add any new features you might require eventually... Why go with the rest, when you can go with the best? :)

Wormsie 05-01-2004 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
There wouldn't even be a point. The engine is so far advanced beyond the point you describe that you might as well be talking about an entirely different engine. AGS is rather ridiculously fully-featured at the moment, and Chris Jones updates so frequently that it's hard to keep track of all the newly added features. It has definitely far surpassed the LEC and Sierra systems it once strove to emulate in terms of capability.

Aye, but what I described was true... five years ago or something.

Wormsie 05-01-2004 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGA
AGS has an amazing amount of features, more than any one game developer will ever need to use. With some creative scripting, almost anything is possible. It also has a great, supportive community. Plus, if you bug CJ (the creator) enough, he'll add any new features you might require eventually... Why go with the rest, when you can go with the best? :)

That really is nothing extraordinary, when compared to Agast, WME or Sludge. Possibly the only feature AGS has and other engines don't have is lip synch. So will the secret of AGS's popularity remain a mystery to me forever?

Maybe not. I believe the real reasons are

1) People are scared of scripting
2) AGS might be the engine that's been around for the longest period of time => it has always had the most users => it will attract more and more users. People like to belong to as large a group as possible, or something. The amount of people using it is also thought of as saying something about its goodness.

For me good scripting support is THE most crucial thing in an engine. I think everything should be script-controlled.

Erwin_Br 05-01-2004 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toefur
I use AGS because so far it's been the best

That's subjective! :P :D

--Erwin

Esseb 05-01-2004 07:37 AM

I just picked it up more or less randomly. Of the few engines that I checked out way back when I took up amateur game development it happened to be the only decent engine, but I don't actually use it. I only stick around because of the community.

I don't know enough about the other engines to claim AGS is the best.

Erwin_Br 05-01-2004 08:36 AM

Quote:

That really is nothing extraordinary, when compared to Agast, WME or Sludge. Possibly the only feature AGS has and other engines don't have is lip synch.

Oooo, lip-sync!

*runs off to the SLUDGE forums to suggest a new feature for the engine* :devil:

--Erwin

Maquisard 05-01-2004 09:48 AM

Does AGS, like SLUDGE, support light effects?

remixor 05-01-2004 11:27 AM

Quote:

That really is nothing extraordinary, when compared to Agast, WME or Sludge. Possibly the only feature AGS has and other engines don't have is lip synch. So will the secret of AGS's popularity remain a mystery to me forever?

I find this hard to believe, because CJ adds new features ludicrously fast. You might be right, it just seems unlikely to me.

Quote:

Maybe not. I believe the real reasons are

1) People are scared of scripting
2) AGS might be the engine that's been around for the longest period of time => it has always had the most users => it will attract more and more users. People like to belong to as large a group as possible, or something. The amount of people using it is also thought of as saying something about its goodness.
That's a very real strength though, it's not just perceived. With such a huge community, getting help, suggestions, and constructive criticism is much, much easier. It's a huge convenience.

Quote:

For me good scripting support is THE most crucial thing in an engine. I think everything should be script-controlled.
Well, you can obviously do that in AGS.

AGA 05-01-2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
Does AGS, like SLUDGE, support light effects?

It depends what you mean by light effects. Different areas of the screen can have different light levels, if that's what you mean...

Erwin_Br 05-01-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGA
It depends what you mean by light effects. Different areas of the screen can have different light levels, if that's what you mean...

Out of Order uses some neat SLUDGE light effects in the beginning of the game, in that big alien area when you just stepped out of your bedroom.

--Erwin

Maquisard 05-01-2004 01:20 PM

I remember that. I thought it was kinda excessive though.

Erwin_Br 05-01-2004 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
I remember that. I thought it was kinda excessive though.

Yeah, I'm sure it's on purpose to show off the engine.

--Erwin

Squinky 05-01-2004 10:03 PM

At first, I didn't use AGS because of the reasons deadworm222 specified. Then, I didn't use AGS because I had already paid for SLUDGE! ;)

Really, though, SLUDGE was worth every penny. It's the perfect engine for me, just as I'm sure AGS is the perfect engine for a whole bunch of other people.

Wormsie 05-02-2004 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
That's a very real strength though, it's not just perceived. With such a huge community, getting help, suggestions, and constructive criticism is much, much easier. It's a huge convenience.

I'm trying AGS, because - when my game's production starts (now in pre-production stage) - I probably need some art help and AGS is where the masses go. Besides, it can't be all that bad, since people use it :D And it's interesting to be a part of a community where something happens. WME and Agast message boards have pretty low post & member counts.

EDIT: DOn't worry, Mnemonic, Genesis will use WME:D And the new GUI editors are actually very good.

I never thought I would say anything like that. We live and learn.