You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #21
duh

I'd definitely be happy to see a proper list of the best free/indie adventures cause there are some pretty great jewels and some of them have ideas that i haven't seen in a commercial game recently.

Here are the games I've enjoyed:

1. The Journey Down - No need to talk about it, everybody knows it

2. Snakes Of Avalon - Tiny little masterpiece in every aspect. Love the music, the psycho-alcohol-delirium atmosphere where you don't have a clue which is real and which is not, the subconscious level... Most of you know it so I won't describe it much. It's a must play.

3. Kafkamesto - It's more like an interactive dream rather than an usual adventure, although the puzzles are there. Love it for it's dreamy absurd atmosphere. If you like Kafka you'll love it cause you'll find lots of parallels to his works. And don't get lost there

4. Gretel And Hansel 2 - first one was good but the second was the one that really impressed me. Longer, more sophisticated puzzles... I just love that dark atmosphere...

5. The Asylum: Psychiatry for Abused Cuddly Toys - This one I saw here on this website. It's not an actual adventure, it feels more like a grow game, where the order of things you do is what matters. It's the most adequate usage of psychoanalysis I've seen in a game. At first you may think that the only thing you do is messing around with the heads of the poor toys (seeing their dreams, injecting them with drugs and stuff) but if you go deeper you'll see that each toy is suffering from an actual mental disorder and their reactions are quite connected to it... if you are not studying psychology or not using the textbook helper I find it very difficult to cure them all

6. Mental Repairs Inc - Not so gorgeous 3D graphics but behind it there's a game with very unique idea and gameplay. You are a technician in a near future world where the machines have a subconscious and if there is problem with them you fix their mind instead of their particles. That gives the game two parallel worlds to explore where the solving of a puzzle is often connected to both of them. Love the idea and the "sidekick" of the protagonist who is something like a really smart phone.

7. Technobabylon - Haven't played the second and the third but enjoyed the first one because of the same "parallel world" thing like in Mental Repairs. Great anti-utopic cyberpunk atmosphere too.

8. What Makes You Tick - Don't like the protagonist, but enjoyed the graphics, the story, the monkey island reference... haven't played the whole game so my opinion is not so relevant here
Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #22
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolin View Post
Octodad
So far best free not-remake 3D adventure I have played.
Whilst I would second this recommendation, I would mention that you need to be pretty dextrous for this one. Definitely a unique and fun experience if you can manage the controls though.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #23
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlemon View Post
them all

6. Mental Repairs Inc - Not so gorgeous 3D graphics but behind it there's a game with very unique idea and gameplay. You are a technician in a near future world where the machines have a subconscious and if there is problem with them you fix their mind instead of their particles. That gives the game two parallel worlds to explore where the solving of a puzzle is often connected to both of them. Love the idea and the "sidekick" of the protagonist who is something like a really smart phone.
I can not say nothing more but thanks for taking the effort and at the 1st place for mentioning such a Gem that i would never had discovered it alone! (maybe after looong years or by a pure coincidence that it is already reviewed here at AGamers) http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,993/
but how would i knew ....

Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #24
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

For people looking for stand-out, but less widely known AGS games, I suggest sweeping the archives of "Game Pick of the Month" which can be entered through here:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/Games.aspx

And keep an eye on the Showcase section of the above page as well. It'll soon be revamped to have different set of game favorites every single month -hand-picked by members of the Review Panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlemon View Post
2. Snakes Of Avalon - Tiny little masterpiece in every aspect. Love the music, the psycho-alcohol-delirium atmosphere where you don't have a clue which is real and which is not, the subconscious level... Most of you know it so I won't describe it much. It's a must play.
Thank you for this lovely recommendation, badlemon!