Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   Space Quest Incinerations! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/30336-space-quest-incinerations.html)

Datadog 01-11-2012 11:40 AM

Space Quest Incinerations!

http://www.boxofmystery.com/blog/wp-...easePoster.png

Following hot in the footsteps of my team-made fan-game "Vohaul Strikes Back" and IA's "SQ2 Remake", I'm proud to finally announce the release of "Space Quest: Incinerations."

Based on the Sierra game series from Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe, SQInc is an adventure game six years in the making. It re-imagines the SQ universe in the style of a modern sci-fi action-thriller, featuring 3D-rendered sprites and backgrounds, over 45 minutes of fully-animated cinematics, alternate endings, trophies, and over an hour's worth of original music.

As an animator, this game has been a real thrill ride to make. I want to thank everyone who's supported it, along with the talented people who've contributed their efforts to making it happen. I also want to thank the adventure game community for staying alive and staying strong.

Click here to visit the site and start downloading!

And while you're downloading, enjoy the release trailer!

Chris

Monolith 01-27-2012 11:02 AM

So is there a reason why no one has even commented on this?

Ascovel 01-27-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 599187)
So is there a reason why no one has even commented on this?

??? What special reason could there be? My bet is on: because not enough people from AG forums have played it yet.

But here, I'll suggest some good places to read opinions on it, if you're interested:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...-over-and-out/

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=45119.0

Apparently impressive stuff!

stepurhan 01-27-2012 09:49 PM

On my list for January but my job is really hectic at this time of year so I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Arial Type 02-05-2012 11:41 AM

Vohaul Strikes Back was OK, but felt more like a LucasArts fangame. I'm currently playing Incinerations, and my, what a game! RockPaperShotgun summed it nicely: a true space opera with a complex story, global space battles, good character development and some touching moments. And it remains true to the Space Quest franchise: all puzzles have a very "Sierra" feel about them, and the humour is just as good as in SQ 4-5.

Actually, I think it's even better, because, unlike official series, it does not rely heavily on parodies. It is just funny on its own. Piles of garbage that Roger is obsessed with, a "revenge" on a stupid droid that lost his luggage, a computer system that chases him throughout the game, his new friend - a funky battle droid... The gameworld is just so reach and fun. I guess that's how SQ 7 might've looked if it ever happened.

I still have to finish it, but it's already one of my favourite AGS games, just there with 5 Days a Stranger and A Tale of Two Kingdoms. Simply brilliant!

Monolith 02-11-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 599203)
??? What special reason could there be? My bet is on: because not enough people from AG forums have played it yet.

But here, I'll suggest some good places to read opinions on it, if you're interested:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...-over-and-out/

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=45119.0

Apparently impressive stuff!

Snide much? Look at the date of my post and the OP date. Quite a bit of time with NO posts. Makes sense to ask, yes? Especially since it follows in the steps of the other Star Wars releases which received so many comments in hours and days.

Ascovel 02-11-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 600254)
Snide much? Look at the date of my post and the OP date. Quite a bit of time with NO posts. Makes sense to ask, yes? Especially since it follows in the steps of the other Star Wars releases which received so many comments in hours and days.

Star Wars? Incinerations follows in the steps of most freeware releases in the underground forums which usually get barely comments at all. That's why I was surprised by your surprise. Nothing more to it really.

Monolith 02-11-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 600283)
Star Wars? Incinerations follows in the steps of most freeware releases in the underground forums which usually get barely comments at all. That's why I was surprised by your surprise. Nothing more to it really.

-_- Space Quest. Damn, SW is stuck in my head right now.

But you have to be honest, this came out around the same time as the other two and got no interest from the community at all. Especially since the other two games have received many comments and attention well after this game has been posted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arial Type (Post 599721)
Vohaul Strikes Back was OK, but felt more like a LucasArts fangame. I'm currently playing Incinerations, and my, what a game! RockPaperShotgun summed it nicely: a true space opera with a complex story, global space battles, good character development and some touching moments. And it remains true to the Space Quest franchise: all puzzles have a very "Sierra" feel about them, and the humour is just as good as in SQ 4-5.

Actually, I think it's even better, because, unlike official series, it does not rely heavily on parodies. It is just funny on its own. Piles of garbage that Roger is obsessed with, a "revenge" on a stupid droid that lost his luggage, a computer system that chases him throughout the game, his new friend - a funky battle droid... The gameworld is just so reach and fun. I guess that's how SQ 7 might've looked if it ever happened.

I still have to finish it, but it's already one of my favourite AGS games, just there with 5 Days a Stranger and A Tale of Two Kingdoms. Simply brilliant!

Wow, what a shocker. Now I really want to check this out. I started playing Vohaul's Strike back and at some point lost interest in it. Obviously I beat the SQ2 remake in one sitting. :)

Arial Type 02-12-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 600288)
Wow, what a shocker. Now I really want to check this out. I started playing Vohaul's Strike back and at some point lost interest in it. Obviously I beat the SQ2 remake in one sitting. :)

Yeah, I also felt VSB was somewhat uninspired and too childish. Actually, there was an interesting sequence near the end
Spoiler:
taking place in Vohaul's head, although parodying Woody Allen movies in a sci-fi game was way off topic.
But Incinerations was a wonderful surprise, and a lengthy one too. I really liked how carefully they handled the SQ universe while adding lots of new stuff. Hope more people will discover it and award the authors with fame and glory.

mjomble 02-12-2012 01:42 PM

We parodied a Woody Allen movie? Which one? :D

I agree, though - compared to Incinerations, VSB does seem rather childish and camp. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is a matter of taste, I suppose.

I prefer to look at them as two sides of the same coin, or yin and yang :)

Datadog 02-12-2012 03:41 PM

I'm also curious about that. Clearly there's a really awesome Woody Allen movie I haven't seen yet. :)

There was a fair bit of cross-development between VSB and SQInc. Like mjomble said - yin and yang (or "fire and ice" in the spirit of the games). VSB turned out more traditional, heavier in humor, characters, and puzzles. Meanwhile, SQInc turned out more modern - heavier in graphics, drama, and Bay-splosions. Hopefully out of the two, there's a little something for everyone.

SQInc does seem to be picking up more steam now that word is getting around and people are having a chance to play it (even I'm just now getting time to play all these new freeware games). More reviews are gradually coming in, G4TV's done a short ad spot on it, and Pawdugan over at TGWTG is doing a hilarious "Let's Play" of it for the website. So it's coming along pretty well!

Arial Type 02-13-2012 07:03 AM

Now you've got me curious :D I was pretty sure I saw the scene on a beach in a Woody Allen movie,
Spoiler:
not saying that the nerdish Vohaul looks like Woody himself.
Or was it some advertising? Or simply Tom & Jerry?

I know that people were involved in both projects, and I found that easter egg in VSB (another great scene). But while VSB is more light-hearted and random, I thought it has less SQ feel to it. Maybe because it relies so much on side-missions and furry animals? :) Still a nice point about yin and yang, and it is obvious that a lot of work was put into both projects. I hope we'll hear something from the guys from Andromeda soon.

Datadog 02-13-2012 12:23 PM

The beach scene was just a reference to the old Charles Atlas ads. Although now that you mention it, there is something very Woody Allen about the game's version. Must be the glasses. :)

WitchOfDoubt 02-18-2012 08:53 PM

I just finished this, and it is really, really good. Not just "good for a fan game," but good, period. The element of fun is there from beginning to end - it's a big, substantial game, but nothing seems padded out.

The puzzles are generally sharp and well-clued, the plot is solid, and the over-the-top action movie spoof approach works a lot better than it ought to.

inflikkt 02-19-2012 12:15 AM

why didnt this get the immediate reception the other 2 sq's did?

too much sq all at once!! lol, i sort of wish these games were released at separate times. even just a month or two apart would have been nice.

stepurhan 02-29-2012 01:06 PM

It got FF attention this month. Top billing as well.