You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Indie Game Designer

Default Black Wish Cemetery Final Edition

Hi everybody!
I finally released my indie adventure game. The name is The Black Wish Cemetery (Final Edition). It´s bigger and better than the older version. And it´s a FREE adventure game. Here´s the link to the homepage:

http://adventurecollection.webnode.com/

Old 07-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #2

It started fine, but at the second scene (after unlocking the cemetary door) the game froze and apparently there's a bug/missing file... Too bad, it really seemed interesting!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
Indie Game Designer

Hi Irenezeppo. I´ll send an e-mail to the main programmer informing about the bugs. Just tell me what OS you´re using, your graphical card, etc. Maybe this game is not 100% compatible with windows 7... I´m sorry about this bugs. That´s the problem of PC games. You can test in a lot of PCs with the same config and the game will work just fine, but still are chances of a bug appears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenezeppo View Post
It started fine, but at the second scene (after unlocking the cemetary door) the game froze and apparently there's a bug/missing file... Too bad, it really seemed interesting!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to excentri

Looks interesting with spooky atmosphere. Downloading it right now. I hope it's really scary.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Indie Game Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenezeppo View Post
That's an issue on their end. If there is a missing file, perhaps the download was bad. I would recommend uninstalling the game and re-downloading it
Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #6
Freeware Co-ordinator

Whilst I admire the ambition in going fully 3-D with this, you really need to do it properly if you are going to do it at all. In the opening cut-scene from "scary places around the world" the presenter's arms constantly slide through each other and her body which is most disturbing to watch. On the static in-game screens, this obviously isn't a problem. The scenes are maybe a bit too static though, given the grass and mist in the cemetery itself.

Equally, if you are going to include voices, include actual people talking. Even the odd pronunciation of a non-native human speaker is preferable to the computer generated voice you have used.

Having got past the cemetry door, it would appear I have avoided the problem irenezeppo had, but I have experienced a different one that has stopped me playing. The moment I go through the cemetery gates, the save/load system stops working (the options on the menu gray out). Unless this is a really short game (and given the download and install sizes I'm guessing it isn't) then this is a game-breaker issue for me. I'm using XP if that proves any help in trouble-shooting this issue.

Incidentally, both the download size of 429 MB and an install size of 1.5GB should really be mentioned in your specifications. Not everyone has super-fast broadband (my local exchange doesn't yet support it) and many still have download caps so the download size is an issue. 1.5GB install is also much larger than the average freeware game and is likely to be an issue for players with older machines that otherwise meet your specifications.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 08-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Indie Game Designer

Default stepurhan

Thanks for the tips about how to develop and release a game.
My game would be prefect if things here in Brazil weren´t so expensive. This games was made by 2 people: Me and Robert Reneuend (the main programmer). I would love to make a really nice opening cut-scene but I just used what I have (sorry...).
About the download size: the gamer will see it when clicking in the download link. Then the gamer will decide to download or not.
I intend to develop the secong game using the Unity Engine, but I´ll have to buy a nice equipment first ($$$). And I´ll have to learn about how to use the engine ($$$). I know my game is not a full 3D . The Adventure Maker engine cannot do this...
Old 08-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #8

Hi blackwishworld, I installed your game today & didn't experience any technical glitches so far (WinXP SP3). No requests for an internet connection triggered by it, either. So it's probably a problem with the more up-to-date Windows systems.

I like the way you use music, it's very atmospheric and unobtrusive. Wish you had turned down the wind and water effects a little. The engine you're using - Adventure-Maker? - is probably to blame for the little flaws, like facing the wrong way after zooming out, and having to wait for texts to disappear before being able to do so. The game definitely exudes the aura of good old Windows 95-days.

I could use a hint on
- what to put on top of the "pressure plate" in the crypt?
- how to open the coffin with the glowing cross on top?
I'm missing two (of the four?) golden coins I need to open the crypt sanctuary(?) door. Help is appreciated, since you haven't put up a walkthough yet.

EDIT:
Anybody looking for hints should look to this thread:
http://www.gamershood.com/forum/show...-Wish-Cemetery

Last edited by Hoipolloi; 08-14-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #9

This is a great game...

I stuck three times, great puzzles and good graphics. I didn't pay attention to the presenter in the intro, but the game is very good...

I like it!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwishworld View Post
I would love to make a really nice opening cut-scene but I just used what I have (sorry...).
I think you're missing my point. I appreciate that making a decent 3D opening cut-scene is not an easy task. I also appreciate that doing so could also prove expensive in terms of licences and necessary equipment.

So, when you know you can't do a decent animated 3D opening, why do one at all? There is no point in doing 3D if you can't do it well. To be honest, I could live with the static grass and mist in the game itself, but the opening is just excruciating. I view a lot of games every month, very few using 3D. The good ones have used the graphics technology their authors are capable of using to create a good look instead. In fact, those using 3D all too often rely on 3D as the draw and then proceed to make a crappy game behind it. Since I haven't got far with your game I can't say if that is true for this, but the dodgy opening animation is not encouraging for me.
Quote:
About the download size: the gamer will see it when clicking in the download link. Then the gamer will decide to download or not.
Fair comment about the download size being apparent when the download is selected. It will still be frustrating to people who, having made the decision to download, suddenly realise it will take them hours. This also doesn't address the install size (though gamers noting the download size may considered themselves warned of that) You can hardly argue that required disk space is unusual in game specs.

Are you able to address my problem with the save/load system stopping just past the cemetery gates? I'd still consider that a pretty serious problem.

Cold Topic

Old 08-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #11

In case anyone wants to donate: The developer has a Paypal button on the new site for his sequel, "The Black Wish Mansion":
http://blackwishmansion.webnode.com.br/

stepurhan, this is an amateur project, so I don't think you should discourage him by being too critical - or rather wait until he asks for your blessing.

The download & install size, okay - this could be remedied with a few more words on the download page.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 AM   #12
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoipolloi View Post
stepurhan, this is an amateur project, so I don't think you should discourage him by being too critical - or rather wait until he asks for your blessing.
I'm aware that this is an amateur project. I view a lot of amateur projects each month in my role as Freeware Co-ordinator for this site. Whilst this is not the worst game I've seen by some way (I have seen some horrors masquerading as games) it still has issues that other amateur developers seem perfectly capable of avoiding. As I said earlier, if you know you can't do 3D well (for whatever reason) why do it at all? Many games without 3D come out every month and are none the worse for not having 3D. Equally, there are amateur developers that have used 3D well. Check out Dead Cyborg for example.

As for asking for my blessing, the developer may have some interest in me covering this game in my monthly roundup of freeware releases. As long as the save/load system stops for me just inside the cemetery gates that isn't going to happen. If they can give me some guidance on fixing that problem, then I'd be willing to give it a longer look for possible inclusion in a future article.

Cold Topic

Last edited by stepurhan; 08-17-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #13

disappointingly, this game won't work properly if the computer is in large font/dpi mode. It warns when starting it, and then puts everything off centre so the hitboxes don't line up. Telling the end user they have to change their system settings to play your game isn't really acceptable..
Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
Indie Game Designer

Thanks. Yeah, this game is an old school type.
About hints to this game:
The coffin with a glowing crox is something you´ll have to solve only at the end of the game.
The pressure plate... try to fill something with a little of mud
About the walkthrough, I will do it on the weekend. But try to play more, and pay attention to things like something dry that can be washed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoipolloi View Post
Hi blackwishworld, I installed your game today & didn't experience any technical glitches so far (WinXP SP3). No requests for an internet connection triggered by it, either. So it's probably a problem with the more up-to-date Windows systems.

I like the way you use music, it's very atmospheric and unobtrusive. Wish you had turned down the wind and water effects a little. The engine you're using - Adventure-Maker? - is probably to blame for the little flaws, like facing the wrong way after zooming out, and having to wait for texts to disappear before being able to do so. The game definitely exudes the aura of good old Windows 95-days.

I could use a hint on
- what to put on top of the "pressure plate" in the crypt?
- how to open the coffin with the glowing cross on top?
I'm missing two (of the four?) golden coins I need to open the crypt sanctuary(?) door. Help is appreciated, since you haven't put up a walkthough yet.

EDIT:
Anybody looking for hints should look to this thread:
http://www.gamershood.com/forum/show...-Wish-Cemetery
Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #15
Indie Game Designer

But you solved the puzzles, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance66 View Post
This is a great game...

I stuck three times, great puzzles and good graphics. I didn't pay attention to the presenter in the intro, but the game is very good...

I like it!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #16
Indie Game Designer

About the download size, now is 255 mb. The problem was the ending video. The size of the file was too big. I fixed, sent to the main programmer and now the size is smaller.

And about the rest of the your comments, I intend to use xna or unity engine to the next game.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
Indie Game Designer

Try to download again. The size now is smaller (255 mb) and Robert and I fixed some other small bugs. Are you using an old monitor? Is it compatible with 756x480?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcd2011 View Post
disappointingly, this game won't work properly if the computer is in large font/dpi mode. It warns when starting it, and then puts everything off centre so the hitboxes don't line up. Telling the end user they have to change their system settings to play your game isn't really acceptable..