You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2004, 01:09 AM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default Community Project 2!

OK, so maybe not everyone has as many LEGOs as I had thought! Certainly, I don't. I looked up some LEGO packs on Amazon & Ebay, & I hadn't realized how freakishly expensive those things are! So much for that.

So I was thinking, what other cheap, fast ways are there to produce adventure game backgrounds? I've previously discounted taking pictures, as there's only so many crappy locations you can film in your neighborhood that would be remotelly useful. Until I remembered an old idea of mine--I had read the "Truckers, Bulldozers, Wings" series by Terrie Pratchet, which is about little people, and I always thought the story would make an excellent adventure game. From their perspective, humans move so slow, that they always seem as passive as cows, and even sound as such.

Now the advantage to making a game about little people is that you can take a picture of your computer desk as a scene, and arrange it to look more eventful (with the kind of mess I have on my desk, it's arranged enough) than say, a picture of a random house. You can thus be selective about your backgrounds, and manipulate the environment to tell the story you want it to tell.

The story itself doesn't have to be about Pratchet's books. We can come up with a story of our own...If you like the idea, post here, & let's brainstorm on plot points, backgrounds, characters, etc...Engage!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-09-2004, 01:27 AM   #2
Doctor Watson

Terry Pratchett.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:29 AM   #3
Citizen of Bizarro World

wow, thanks alot. Some enthusiasm about the point of the actual post would be nice as well.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-09-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

It's an interesting idea, with some clear potential. But make sure that you [u]do[/i] make up a completely original storyline, or you may be hearing from Pratchett's lawyers ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #5
Liver of Life

I have nothing productive to add right now, but I just wanted to share your frustration concerning the price of LEGO pieces nowadays. I'm afraid that by the time I'm a father I won't be able to afford LEGOs for my kids...Oh the horror. The horror!

Old 04-09-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode
I have nothing productive to add right now, but I just wanted to share your frustration concerning the price of LEGO pieces nowadays. I'm afraid that by the time I'm a father I won't be able to afford LEGOs for my kids...Oh the horror. The horror!

By them now .

LEGO never dates. It just gets more commercial.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:59 AM   #7

I made a LEGO "adventure" comic once called Bad Land.

I then started working on a LEGO point and click using AGS and, well, LEGO! I simply set up a LEGO set, took a picture with my digital cam and used it as a background. For the characters, I took different pictures of them in different positions (for eg. walking etc) using a piece of blue paper as a "blue-screen". It worked alright, but as the camera I used was fairly shoddy the picture quality of the characters weren't so good.

I had every intention of making Bad Land 2 an adventure game, but didn't have much time to work on it - so there's not much of it at all.

I also looked into making some form of "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" style point and click, but that hasn't come to anything and is for all different reasons etc, not LEGO related.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:10 AM   #8
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ds
Did you set your LEGO on fire for that picture? :eek:

--Erwin
Old 04-12-2004, 11:07 AM   #9

The next picture in that episode reveals all
Old 04-12-2004, 11:25 AM   #10
Dismembered

The trick is to buy big batches of various pieces, which shouldn't cost too much, not the small boxes with instructions on how to build a car or a Star Wars death star or stuff like that. They suck anyway and are only fun for the few minutes it takes to build the thing.