You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 02:46 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813
Default What program for Backgrounds?!?

those of you who make your own games, what program do you use to create background art?.........i've only tried paint shop pro 7 and adobe photoshop 7, though i'm more experienced at paint shop.......what program do you suggest?.......i want one with a not too complicated interface and preferably a program that is free online
Old 04-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Paint.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

The Gimp is a powerful free graphics tool.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 04-06-2004, 03:14 PM   #4
Liver of Life

Yes, The Gimp for Windows is what I'd suggest if you are a Windows user.

Despite that, since you say you've tried Photoshop, is it safe to assume that you own it? Either way, I'm of the opinion that Photoshop is much better than either Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. And sadly, it is the only one I do not own. Not to worry, thought...I'll get it soon...
Old 04-06-2004, 07:17 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

well technically i don't own it......but its on my computer........i won't go into that on these forums though........anyways, thnx for the suggestions everyone
Old 04-06-2004, 07:47 PM   #6

Well, though I didn't use it to make background art, I found Adobe Illustrator to be very good for drawing things (I used it for some flash animations, posters, and a webpage).
Old 04-20-2004, 10:47 AM   #7
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I've used Flash 5 (I have MX on a CD somewhere, though) for everything, but that's because I like working with vectors, as they're easy to move around and such. Then again, my backgrounds definitely aren't the most professional-looking.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:54 AM   #8
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode
Either way, I'm of the opinion that Photoshop is much better than either Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. And sadly, it is the only one I do not own. Not to worry, thought...I'll get it soon...
The power of good graphics lies with the artist, not the software.

--Erwin
Old 04-20-2004, 12:12 PM   #9
Game Creator Hobbyist

Has the Gimp improved its user interface? I tried it once and thought it horrible, but since it's free (and some people apparently both use and like it) you can always try it out for yourself.

Me, I happily use Paint Shop Pro, though I consider my flatbed scanner my most important tool when it comes to graphics quality. I suppose I could do without one if I had a drawing tablet and pen, but never with just a mouse.

And while I can't really agrue with Erwin's point, I wouldn't want to be stuck with a too simple program, like Paint that Kingzjester suggested. As an example, I find layers a very useful feature I wouldn't want to do without (unless it were vector graphics, of course, but that's another kettle of fish).
Old 04-20-2004, 12:30 PM   #10
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist
Has the Gimp improved its user interface? I tried it once and thought it horrible, but since it's free (and some people apparently both use and like it) you can always try it out for yourself.
Nope, it's still pretty horrible. At least I think so.

Old 04-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #11
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
The power of good graphics lies with the artist, not the software.

--Erwin
Yep Yep
Old 04-21-2004, 12:03 AM   #12
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Nope, it's still pretty horrible. At least I think so.
I use it. In fact, I use Paint Shop Pro 5, Gimp and Photoshop, because I don't like any of those programs. (Though I don't do backgrounds.)
Old 04-27-2004, 07:42 PM   #13
Club a seal or two

I strongly agree with Erwin. It's not like better pencils let you draw better or anything.

the program I most commonly use, btw, is Photoshop. It has a nice set of keyboard shortcuts that doesn't get on your nerve. It's very affordable too, since it comes with a wacom tablet (albeit without color separation tools).

But um yeah. tools shouldn't matter. really. Just stick with the one that you're most comfortable with
Old 04-27-2004, 09:26 PM   #14
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayel
But um yeah. tools shouldn't matter. really. Just stick with the one that you're most comfortable with
Spoken like a true artist. To adapt that NRA slogan: Tools don't kill people; talent and hard work kill people!

A funny anecdote: When my uncle, let's call him uncle S, bought his first computer some fifteen years ago (with a monochromatic monitor, mind you), it came with Windows Paintbrush or whatever that program was called way back when. He called another uncle of mine, let's call him uncle B, who happens to be an artist, and told him, that since he had a computer and a program, he will never need his services again. Uncle B was happy.

Uncle S called him back some half an hour later, though, to apologize.

The moral of this story: Don't matter if you draw with your left foot in the sand on the beach, or with a 1000-buck computer.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:26 PM   #15
Helooooo Bessie!

Send a message via MSN to dave_minall

i prefer MGI photosuite 4. it has masses of tools and transpanrency, which is odd for a pixel based image editor.
Pirate: A beard?!?