You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #1

Default My logic quest game

Hello,
I would like to present to you a project I've been working on lately. The name of the game is "Treasure rebus". It is online logic quest game which includes riddles and puzzles, the solving of which requires the players' general knowledge and Internet research. The game is quite alternative and a kind of difficult, probably because of my wish to recreate the feeling of a real treasure hunt.

If you want to take a look at it: http://treasurerebus.com
Old 11-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #2

I'm thoroughly enjoying the "game" even. I'm fixated with it, and struggling a little with the over all lack of direction.

The first puzzle with the 7 "pieces" for example, once printed, can the pieces be flipped (faceup/facedown)? Are all pieces necessary?

The word search puzzle, does that tie in at all with the page with all the (-xx) numbers, or does that correspond to the Letter Wheel to its right? Or is every page its own puzzle as per the pdf descriptions.

Lastly, I was thrilled when I found the first Google Map location. I thought your integration of that was something really special. Kudos.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #3

Hi, Da_Duke2000, thanks for the comment and for taking interest in the game. Hope you liked it.
The puzzles in the book are not related at all. At this stage you should concentrate on finding the Google maps locations. While doing so, you will understand when and how to use the puzzles from the book.
The very idea of the game is that it be a competition for everyone playing logic games and finally to be anounced a winner. That's why I tried to make it more difficult and it lacks directions. I wanted the feeling of solving the puzzles to be one of, you know, "Yes.I solved it!".
I'm willing to give some directions and explanations if I see it's really hard for players to manage.
Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply. The puzzles seemed so very out of context without a framework to put them in.

I may suggest for the Diary to place the 9 names first, followed by the puzzles, if that's the intention of the game. I'll keep hunting for the second location then!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the reccommendations.

The fourth puzzles in the book are actually sort of half-puzzles. When you find the locations you actually find the other halfs of the puzzles.
I've placed the puzzles first because I was afarid that people wouldn't see them and when they find the other halfs, it'll be more confusing.
Good luck!

P.S. How do you like the graphic design?
Old 11-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #6

I think the graphic design is very clean, and I applaud the effort your spent into refining it as much as you have before its release. I would prefer to see a "Page #" option at the top or bottom for simplicities sake.

I would like to ask a question about the second Google location. Is the reward from the first location, and the list of names the only hints the player is given?
Old 11-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #7

The name list is not a hint but a sort of addition to the story. After you've got the first envelope (reward) there are two things inside. On the small piece of paper there is a puzzle which leads to the second envelope. As for the bigger paper, you will understand what you do with it further in the game. You just need to be very observant.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #8

Ah, I wasn't sure why the bigger paper had a print option, but the smaller one didn't.

In any case, I'm stumped! The small paper by itself has me confounded.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #9

Did you solve the puzzle of the smaller paper and if you did how many location did you find so far?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #10

I have done the following so far:
-Found the first location by using the photo/map as a hint.
-Used the "text phrase" at that location, and found the two papers.
-The big one of the image, I've set aside for now.
-The small one I am having trouble understanding the Goal of the puzzle. I'm anxious to solve it so I can move on. Is it a standalone puzzle, or does this use any of the 4 Book half-puzzle pieces?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #11

It is a standalone puzzle. It's not connected to any other puzzles and it leads to the next location.
It's very important, for the game as a whole, that "Rules" and "Diary" chapters are read. They actually give all the instructions for what you're searching in the game. Observation is crucial.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #12

Unfortunately, I am stumped. I cannot decipher the puzzle on the smaller paper.

I would love to read feedback from others here on the forum, and hear of their progress.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
I am the boss of you

A hint for the number puzzle
Spoiler:
Write the digits in the correct order to find another page

BTW I'm at the third location, where you find the second half of the jigsaw puzzle
Is the solution of the jigsaw puzzle connected to the strange symbols in that page?

Last edited by SuperEdy; 11-07-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #14

I'm enjoying this, even more.

Last edited by Da_Duke2000; 11-07-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #15

Hi SuperEdy,
Under all the puzzles from the book, as you can see, there is 6 dashes. They imply that the answer of each puzzle is a six-letter word. These words you'll need at the end of the game. The puzzles from the book are not connected to the finding of the locations. Did you manage to solve the first puzzle from the book?
How do you like the game?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
I am the boss of you

Yes, I found the solution to the jigsaw puzzle and the related page in the website; I have an idea on how it can be used in the final puzzle, but it's just a hunch
I finally managed to reach the fourth location, that puzzle with the strange symbols was really tough

I like the idea of an uber-puzzle a la Fool's Errand, too bad more adventure games don't have one
Your game reminds me of one of my favorites, Evidence: The Last Ritual (using the internet, the list of people...), did you play it?
I think you should write somewhere in the website that the four puzzle in the book are incomplete, it can be very frustrating for the player trying to solve a puzzle that can't be solved (until you find the other half of the puzzle)
Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #17

I'm glad you like the game so far. I haven't played the game you mentioned but I'll take a look at it becuse I've always wanted to play such kind of games and that is why I did one like that.
I realize the four puzzles stuff is kind of frustrating. But since I've done all the work on the game by myself (with no reccommendations), at certain point, it seems I've lost the feeling about what would be difficult for the players.
I'll take your advice, though, and will add some lines to the "News" chapter.
I hope more people will get in touch with me and leave comments.

By the way, I see someone's managed to find the sixth envelope. I'll be happy to hear from them.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #18
I am the boss of you

If you want more feedback, you can try posting on other fora (JustAdventure, GameBoomers, Mystery Manor...) Unfortunately, as the Rhem 4 review rightly says, the puzzle-driven adventures are a niche-within-a-niche (and the word 'logic' makes most people run in the opposite direction )

I reached the sixth location, the P-4-O puzzle was particularly clever
Old 11-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #19

Thanks for the advice and for the sites.
I'm glad you've come that far in the game.
I agree that the puzzle-driven adventures are a niche-within-a-niche...which is truly a pity.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #20

Hi SuperEdi, as I see you've almost done it. I'm soo happy that someone made it till the end!
Since probably you'll be the first one to solve it, will it be too much to ask for a short description of the game from you as a player?If you do, I'd like to post it on the site and the Facebook profile...Hope you don't mind...
Thanks in advance and well done on the game!