You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 02:42 AM   #1

Default Broken sword 2.5

Hi all

Has anyone tested this? Seems interesting.

Did Steve Ince participate on it? Else, I'm curious about what he thinks.

http://www.brokensword25.com/news/news.htm
Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to kathrynrose Send a message via Yahoo to kathrynrose

Is the game still just in German?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:14 AM   #3

It has english subtitles and it is possible to turn off the german speech. I have been playing and am having fun with it.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #4

this game is GREAT!!
A "must have" to broken sword fans
Old 09-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
3rd person fanatic :)

Let's hope there's going to be engish voice acting too...

"We're working on English voices, too. More information related on this will be available soon."

This is empty promise, no doubt..
Old 09-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #6

Great news! Been checking their page now and then the last few years, but didn't dare to hope they would actually manage to complete such an ambitious project.

697MB! That's quite impressive size for a free fanmade game Downloading it now, will finish 20 min. later.

By the way, any news about an official fifth game in the Broken Sword series?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidrath View Post
Did Steve Ince participate on it? Else, I'm curious about what he thinks.
No, I've not had anything to do with this.

At the moment I don't have the time to play it, so I don't want to comment until I do.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBird View Post
Let's hope there's going to be engish voice acting too...

"We're working on English voices, too. More information related on this will be available soon."

This is empty promise, no doubt..
Erm actually..i have recorded two character voices, in english, for this game. i am also in constant email contact with a team member in germany who speaks english (sarunas) and i can assure you, the english voiceovers are forthcoming! So stop being so negative, relax, and look forward to the english localisation. (in the meantime, come on, the german voices arent THAT bad, you get used to it after awhile)
Old 09-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly View Post
Erm actually..i have recorded two character voices, in english, for this game. i am also in constant email contact with a team member in germany who speaks english (sarunas) and i can assure you, the english voiceovers are forthcoming! So stop being so negative, relax, and look forward to the english localisation. (in the meantime, come on, the german voices arent THAT bad, you get used to it after awhile)
I'm sorry... impulsive reaction... So many promises like this today
And no, the german voice-acting wasn't bad. It's just that... I dislike german language in general.

Last edited by MoonBird; 09-29-2008 at 08:48 AM. Reason: replacing the word
Old 09-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Adventure Game Researcher

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the news.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Thanks for posting this, I'm off to look at it now. I loved BS 1, 2 and 3!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to Mayboy

Has anyone managed to get this to work on Vista? It doesn't get past the title screen for me, says there is a problem and needs to close.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #13
Pixiehunter

Looks interesting
But I guess it is best played bewteen BS 2 and 3? In that case I'll just have to wait a while with it, since I have only played 3 scenes of BS 1 yet
Old 10-02-2008, 03:41 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

I'm really enjoying this so far. I love how logical it is so things just flow...

I can't tell the difference between it and the 'proper' Broken Sword 1 & 2 (apart from the voices) it's that good!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #15
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayboy View Post
Has anyone managed to get this to work on Vista? It doesn't get past the title screen for me, says there is a problem and needs to close.
I haven't tried this yet, but have you tried running it in XP compatibility mode?

Just Right Click on the shortcut icon for the game. Go to Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab. There you should see a little ticky box that says 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and a dropdown menu. Set it for Windows XP and see if that works.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:03 AM   #16

Send a message via MSN to Mayboy

I did try this and the same thing still occurs. Luckily I have a desktop PC with XP and it works fine on that.

This game really is beautifully done. As much as I am generally put off by reading subtitles here I will make an exception.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Looks interesting
But I guess it is best played bewteen BS 2 and 3? In that case I'll just have to wait a while with it, since I have only played 3 scenes of BS 1 yet
Well hurry up then, first BSs are really worth the playtime
Old 10-07-2008, 03:28 AM   #18

I tested the game with english subs and german voice-acting... two things, that I didn't like:

First: The "Flower Vendor???" It's "Flower-seller" in the original game. Please try to be more specific with the translations. And the flower-seller said "That's right, you will" in the original game when quitting the conversation. not "Yes, we will certainly". This is annoying, because it refers to the certain sentence in the original game, and the sentence it's not correct.

Second: When George thought something in the original Broken Sword, he expressed it in imperfect, like this: "I found a..." And in this game, George expresses it in precence: "I find a..." It was really annoying.

I understand that original voice-actors are impossible to use, but it would be nice to have character voices at least as close as possible.

Animations were quite mediocre at best, and graphics not as detailed as in the original, but the puzzles feel perfect, and the interface is very nice. Story seems okay, so far, but the music was - dare I say it - even better than in the original! Outstanding soundwork! Soundeffects were also totally great.

I hope somebody takes note about these things

Last edited by MoonBird; 10-07-2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 AM   #19
The Quiet One

Quote:
The music was - dare I say it - even better than in the original! Outstanding soundwork! Soundeffects were also totally great.
I have to disagree with this. The music in 2.5, to me, was unmemorable whereas the music in BS1 & 2 is fantastic. In the originals, a professional composer (Barrington Pheloung) did the music and gave the games a more cinematic/murder mystery feel. All the tunes, especially the theme music in BS1, are glued in my mind. Can't say the same for 2.5 i'm afraid. The music just didn't do anything for me.
Plus, the ambience was boring. It was the same ambience in pretty much every outdoor location. And sometimes even indoors too. This particular ambient sound was an outdoor one with cars driving by very faintly in the background. This same one was even present whilst on a plane at the end.

@ Mayboy:

I experienced this problem too. It turned out to be my graphics card. At first i was using a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT and i think the problem was, was that it was unable to cope with the fire effects on the main menu. Before they even appeared the game just crashed back to the desktop. I switched the card to my best one and hey presto!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #20
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
I tested the game with english subs and german voice-acting... two things, that I didn't like:

First: The "Flower Vendor???" It's "Flower-seller" in the original game. Please try to be more specific with the translations. And the flower-seller said "That's right, you will" in the original game when quitting the conversation. not "Yes, we will certainly". This is annoying, because it refers to the certain sentence in the original game, and the sentence it's not correct.

Second: When George thought something in the original Broken Sword, he expressed it in imperfect, like this: "I found a..." And in this game, George expresses it in precence: "I find a..." It was really annoying.
Boy, you are nit-picky. There are far bigger inconsistencies with the previous games. For example Nico told in BS1 that she was raised only by her father and didn't have any contact with her mother. Here we learn that her mother died 2 years ago and this was some big event in her life. Also, a character blown to bits at the end of BS1 returns here in full health. Even in BS3, as crazy as it sometimes was, they've brought back only the guy's partner.

Quote:
I understand that original voice-actors are impossible to use, but it would be nice to have character voices at least as close as possible.
They are amazingly close. That's the most impressive thing about the game in my opinion. Oh, you didn't play the German version of Broken Sword, did you? Take my word for it then.