Recommended Free game: Every Day The Same Dream - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Recommended Free game: Every Day The Same Dream

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

Default Recommended Free game: Every Day The Same Dream

http://armorgames.com/play/6244/ever...the-same-dream

I stumbled onto this today and I found it to be a very intriguing and unique flash adventure game. It's probably only good for one play-through, but it is quite an engrossing and depressing experience.

FYI, you can probably beat the game in 20 minutes or less.

Has anyone else tried this?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

This is a very well known little game, but it's not really an adventure game.

It's an interactive movie where you progress forward by choosing to go into places different than those the everyday routine tries to direct you to.

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-23-2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #3

Wow. That was amazingly beautiful... so good. Surprised I haven't come across this earlier.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 09-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #4

I wholeheartedly disagree with Ascovel about it not being an adventure game. The player interacts with mostly static screens, and there isn't any combat, both of which are qualities of many adventure games. Sure you don't have flashy graphics, or an inventory, but the game surpasses many adventure games I have played in terms of creating an engrossing (and sad) gaming experience.

I'm glad Sughly enjoyed it though. I had never heard of it before, and was initially offput by the graphics, but the game drew me in and made me experience a sad emotional connection with the character. I was impressed!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
The player interacts with mostly static screens, and there isn't any combat, both of which are qualities of many adventure games.
Static screens and lack of combat do not make an adventure game. In fact, highly mobile screens (e.g. the MI roller coaster) or combat (e.g. bike fights in Full Throttle) do not necessarily stop a game being an adventure.

Ascovel described it as an interactive movie and I think this is a fair description. There is nothing to solve as such, you merely go through the same day, varying your actions and getting varying results. There is no ultimate goal, and no real story. In fact, arguably this isn't even a game at all (let alone an adventure) That isn't to say that it isn't an experience that is well worth the time though.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, thatís what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it wonít work if you agree
Old 09-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Played this game back when it came out earlier this year. I liked it, but would have liked it even better if I got to play as the housewife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
There is no ultimate goal...
I disagree. The goal is to find all the alternate endings. In fact, I would even go so far as to call it a puzzle. I know I certainly puzzled over it...

Quote:
...and no real story.
Again, I disagree. Just because it's a short story doesn't mean the story in question isn't real.

But whatevs.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #7

If you liked "Everyday the Same Dream", you should try some of Molleindustria's other games - each and every one a work of art, all quite different gameplay wise but most of them highly satirical/political in nature ("Oiligarchy" is my personal favorite - I recommend it whenever the topic of "serious games" is brought up).

"Everyday the Same Dream" is the most adventure-like of the bunch, but you can get a similar experience from their interactive music video "Inside a Dead Skyscraper". Beautiful and haunting.

Edit: BTW, if you like these games, I strongly recommend you try Daniel Benmergui's "Today I Die" and "I Wish You Were the Moon", two of my favorite Flash games ever.

Last edited by GarageGothic; 09-23-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:20 AM   #8
Freeware Co-ordinator

If you like abstract experiences like this one (with multiple endings to find) then you might also enjoy The Majesty of Colors.

Cold Topic

Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #9

Hehe, one of my other favorites, stepurhan - coincidentally I revisited this thread just now to let you all know about another game by Gregory Weir who made The Majesty of Colors. It's called simply The Day. Enjoy!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
Jumping peanut on a stick

Beautiful game.

Quote:
There is nothing to solve as such, you merely go through the same day, varying your actions and getting varying results. There is no ultimate goal, and no real story.
There actually is a goal and a proper ending to the game. Hint: talk to the old lady in elevator.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor View Post
There actually is a goal and a proper ending to the game. Hint: talk to the old lady in elevator.
I take it you mean the same as Squinky (that the goal is to get all the endings to "unlock" the final ending). I've actually done that. However, I've always personally felt that finding all the endings is a player goal, rather than a game goal. I still think this even when, as in this case, finding all the endings opens something extra.

If you enjoyed that, and have reasonable platforming skills, you might also enjoy After Years in Dark Tunnels It's not pixel perfect platforming but some sections are still pretty difficult (plus it's a large maze with no automap and I think it may change on each play as well). Interesting hope mechanic (as it is rekindled it becomes more colourful and easier to see, as it fades it becomes greyer and harder to see. At the lowest hope level, navigation is near impossible) and I can't recall seeing "Pray" as a control option before.

Cold Topic

Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
However, I've always personally felt that finding all the endings is a player goal, rather than a game goal. I still think this even when, as in this case, finding all the endings opens something extra.
In a game like The Majesty of Colors I do agree with you, here however, I would argue that the final ending is the only true ending to the game - you're not playing through the game multiple times, your character is simply stuck in a rut until you break the cycle - hence the title Every Day the Same Dream. Superficially it's like Groundhog Day, except this isn't some carmic loop, the consequences of your actions don't reset in the morning - which in itself seems to indicate that the end-of-day events are just steps on the way, not final goals in themselves.