You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to lanomalie
Default Myst-like in development

Hello everyone!

I'm making a Myst-like and I would like to show some images. I'm alone on this project and i hope to work with a team in the near future. I use the engine 'Pipmak' that allows me to do 360 ° panoramic images (and script in LUA for the puzzles). For graphics I use Blender, Zbrush and Gimp. The rendering is managed by a script that I wrote in python. There is still much work to achieve and development is far from over ..

I'm looking for other people who can make sounds and musics (if possible with open source tools). But this part of the work is not scheduled until a few months. However it is good for me to have potential contacts. Of course this work would be voluntary because i have no budget to develop this game

Feel free to come and discuss about it. See ya.

---
www.matthieugouby.com
Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

Your screenshots are definitely striking. I have to admit that Pipmak is an engine I hadn't heard of before but it looks interesting. Any thoughts on a title and background story as yet?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Stalker of Britain

Ooh, just seeing the pictures reminded me of "Riven" and started to make me drool. And I'm also interested in what the story will be.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 09-23-2010, 01:25 AM   #4

Nice graphics, indeed. This looks better than a lot of Myst-likes, even some that have had a commercial release. Z-Brush is a fantastic program.

Good luck finding a sound guy.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #5

Thank you guys for these comments!

Quote:
stepurhan : Any thoughts on a title and background story as yet?
I prefer not to reveal the story for now.
It's better for me to tell about it near the demo release.

Quote:
Fantasysci5 : Ooh, just seeing the pictures reminded me of "Riven" and started to make me drool.
Riven is for me the best Myst-like game of all time. And every time i play it i say to me "how did they?" It's so hard to put all this assets together and make it works!

Quote:
orient : Z-Brush is a fantastic program.
So true! Without Zbrush it would be harder to make it without a big team.

(Sorry for my english i need practice)
Have a good day!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanomalie View Post
I prefer not to reveal the story for now.
It's better for me to tell about it near the demo release.
Fair enough. I was slightly worried that you might just have pretty pictures with nothing to back them up but I can understand having a story but wanting to keep it under wraps until you've got a demo ready to go.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
tsa
Playing character

Boy these pictures are impressive! I'll keep an eye on this thread . Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to excentri

This looks very interesting! I sure will follow this thread.

But I have some questions about the pipmak engine.
Me and a friend of mine are currently developing a 360 panorama game at our spare time and we don't really know what engine we should use. There aren't many to choose from and the best choice so far seems to be the pipmak engine.
If someone know any other engine that could produce 360 panorama games I would be happy to know.

I'm sorry if I sound a little weird. I'm from Sweden. ^^
Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #9

Well,

Before starting with Pipmak i've searching a tool too and i've used Adventure Maker a little bit. It was a very bad experience. Personnally I don't recommend Adventure Maker.

In term of open-source / free tool i think that Pipmak is the only one available.

I know that Ubisoft has developed Myst VI Revelation with their own engine (wich is probably an update of the Myst III Exile engine) but i have no information about it. It's probably the property-only of Ubisoft.. I don't know.

Pipmak is very easy to use, very accessible for all. The only missing feature is the video. But it's possible to use an image sequence readed as a video. Of course it's not possible to make your world alive as much as Myst IV Revelation..

An other way is to use Virtools but it will cost you a lot of money. I know that Streko Graphics have used Virtools for Aura 2.

I don't know a lot about it but i guess that the core of all these engines is based on QuicktimeVR technology.

If someone has more informations about these technologies please let us know.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #10

Ok, that was great information. I guess we'll use the pipmak engine. It seems to do the job.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
Scavenger Adventurer

SCream engine, used for the game Scratches, is another bet, similar is capabilty to Pipmak, but supports video. You'll have to contact the owners for permission, but they'll undoubtably let you use it.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #12

You just made me even happier! I've been searching for that engine and I have read before they released their engine to let other make games but I never found any other information about it or where to download. But I'll try to contact him.

I like scratches. Me and a friend played it through and we liked it very much except for a few things where we had to get help from a walkthrough to make progress.
For us Scratches and Darkness within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder is the two best 360 panorama horror games there is.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #13

Hey!

The project is still alive!

It's been a long time since the last post and many changes have been applied to the project like the use of UDK (realtime 3d instead of pre-render graphics).

The game's scripts are entirely set up. I hope to have the final result in approximatively three month.

You can follow the progress on this dedicated blog (it's empty today) : http://thefivecores.blogspot.com/

Keep an eye in a month.