Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   The Journey Down: Over the Edge (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/27572-journey-down-over-edge.html)

theo 08-21-2010 12:07 PM

The Journey Down: Over the Edge

Chapter one "Over the Edge" has finally been released!

The Journey Down is a classical Point n Click adventure game divided in four separate free to play dowloadable chapters. The first chapter follows our brave hero Bwana and his sidekick Kito as they, while struggling to make ends meet, suddenly get thrown into a twisting plot of Corruption and Adventure!

"Over the Edge" was developed in Adventure Game Studio and has been in the making for roughly five years. I hope you will enjoy it!

The game has only been live for a couple of days and has yet to get all of its issues stomped, but the way I see it, the more people play it the more people will find issues and yell at me to fix the problems, and the faster they will get solved.

Features:

* Dazzling full motion cinematics!
* More than 20 Locations!
* Over 15 bizzare characters!
* An all original jazzy reggae soundtrack!

Hope to hear your comments and feedback. I want to hear it all so that I can make chapter two even better than this one.

J.H 08-21-2010 12:14 PM

Great game, loved it, although the lack of voice acting slightly ruined the atmosphere a bit for me.

This game would look amazing High Res. Good job Theo.

theo 08-23-2010 02:14 PM

Thanks man! I wish I had the resources to get some voice acting... Man that sure would be nice... Perhaps in the next chapter, who knows!

Got some hires pics of the art on the skygoblin.com website if you want to check 'em out.

That Mapoco mountain pic looks sweet! Got any more?

J.H 08-26-2010 11:30 AM

Ahh great the site is up and running, love this game man. Try voice acting alliance forum, you will definitely be able to get some free voice actors, some really good ones too.

No more as of yet, well there's more but nothing ready to put out there, the game's sadly on hiatus while I save funds :( lol.

Sughly 08-26-2010 05:52 PM

Yeah I agree with JH - an amazing game, but I can't help but wish you just used the hi res stuff! I think I remember seeing you say on AGS that it was because you wanted to avoid a lare file size? But I still think it would be worth it. I emplore you to reconsider for future episodes :D

That being said, very well done and congrats on getting the first ep done. I'm still stuck in it though :frown:. I seem to be the last person left who hasn't completed it...

EDIT: sorry theo - I only just read some of the post on AGS about episode 2 and reasons for and against upping the res. Might I just say that for me I care not about filesize myself if it means maintaining more of the great quality in your work...

ingumak 08-27-2010 04:12 AM

Congratulations!!!
Looks espectacular!:) I like very much.
when I can, I download it and tell you more. The pics are simply fantastic!

Sughly 09-12-2010 05:24 PM

Sorry to so obviously bump this, but I thought it deserved a little more recognition...

I also wanted to say that I must be the only person who got this to still be stuck on it :frown:
I hate to ask this... but is there a walkthrough of some description somewhere..? I know it's evil and all that, but I can't figre out the next step for the life of me! :crazy:

theo 10-12-2010 01:54 PM

Hey Sughly, thanks for the nice words! Chapter two will feature higher res graphics, have no fear! Regarding walkthrough, you can find one here: Video walkthrough on YouTube

Btw, here are a couple of interviews about the making of the game if anyone is interested:

Interview on Zombie Apocalypse
Interview on the Slow down

As well as some of my thoughts on backdrop design for adventure games: My own article on HardyDev

diego 11-20-2010 04:37 PM

I've finished it and it was quite good. Here's my impressions:

Even the episode is on a short side, it's quite fun, along with being both old-school and fresh looking. LucasArts games were obviously the biggest inspiration, but the game still looked original.

Story-wise, it's quite refreshing, being mix of comedy, crime thriller and a little bit of cyberpunk. Character design is unique, with some "Grim Fandango-ish" grotesque style to it (i thought they were wearing masks at first). Puzzles are simple and fun, and regardless of "deja-vu" factor, do the job well. They reminded me of Full Throttle, since you'll be also wondering around in search of needed machine parts.

All in all, i think it's one of better AGS games made this year, even it's rather short.

theo 11-25-2010 01:33 PM

Thanks Diego, I'm glad you liked it! You are spot on when it comes to inspirational sources. FT and GF were certainly two games that inspired me A LOT when writing/painting this game.

On another note, I just finished making wallpapers for the Journey Down!
Be as cool as me and put these on every single computer desktop you can access!

http://www.skygoblin.com/forum/postershow.jpg

The wallpaper currently exists in three different sizes.

1024 x 768
1280 x 1024
1680 x 1050

If you're fav size is missing just tell me and I'll create it!

theo 12-07-2010 01:16 PM

Updating with a spankin' new review from Jayisgames!

If you haven't yet decided to download the game, read this, I'm sure it will help you make up your mind!

Jayisgames review.

Ascovel 12-09-2010 09:32 AM

Nice to see such positive reviews of the game. Congrats!