You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #21

hi mbday630,

just click on the lever on the right side of the page.
after that, the website's language will swap to the english version.

we don't have a mailing list, but you will be informed about the demo release when the time has come.

when our demo version is finished, it will be available in german and english.

ps:
our current website nears its end, we're creating a brand new one.
only the newsticker stays up to date for you guys, but the rest does not.
if you want to get informed by the newest updates, take a look at our public board board.dott2.org until our new website goes online.

hope i could help!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #22

It looks pretty good !
I always admired modders and people who are just so passionate about a game that they spend a lot of time and work remaking or adding something new to it, keep up with the good work and I can`t wait to play the final product.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #23

Looking good so far.

Do you let your game take place in the same mansion as DoTT? I was a bit disappointed that there weren't as many rooms as in the original MM; the house is perhaps only a third its original size (of course the three timelines made up for that).

Bernard outside that shack does look like an original screen; does that mean you're taking the story away from the mansion, or is it just a little bit to the side like where Ben Franklin was in DoTT?

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #24

thank you guys!

@little writer:
our game starts in the same mansion, but later the storyline will guide you to new places.
the story will be extensive and the bigger part of the game will take place in completely new environments.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #25

good evening,
long time no see.
this time, we've got a making-of video for you. it's a bit fast, but i think it would be more exhausting to watch somebody drawing for one or two hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC9UochIn24

this lardass will help our heroes saving the world.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #26

and here you can see the making of a graphic backdrop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ZRRPmw2Sw

have fun!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #27

I think if this game was translated in English and had English voice acting, then LittleKuriboh should voice many of the characters. I've seen Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged, and he's an excellent voice actor!

He's probably heard of some of the games, since I've seen him use references to Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Sam and Max, and Day of The Tentacle in his episodes!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:20 AM   #28

Pretty snazzy videos, I like! Looking very good, big improvements from the first stuff I saw you guys release. Keep it up!

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #29

a big thank you to you guys!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #30

The day of the tentacle is one of my favorite games
Will someone translate the game to English or Spanish ?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #31

As far as I've been informed there will be an english speaking version.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #32
Senior Automaton

Characters look great. The backgrounds will be more difficult but I'm sure you can manage it! Keep it up!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #33

any updates ? I am waiting for DOTT2 for more than 15 years now
Old 12-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #34

Hey guys!

Yeah, some updates right now.
Sorry for my long absence.

A few weeks ago, we relaunched our public bulletin board and also added a facebook-page for incoming news and materials, so it would be nice to meet you there!
Facebook as well as our website will be available in english soon, too.

But now a short summarization of what happened.

First: The project has failed in fall 2010, yes, the truth.

Because of his studies, the leader had to leave the project in fall 2010. Right before that, also the programmer has rat us out - but without any announcements of his sudden lack of interest. It's been a hard time for the rest of us, and finally the team broke up.

Dave (SFX and music) and myself (graphics and animations) were talking about the future of our project, for which we've worked so hard. A programmer was still missing and everything seemed to be so senseless.

But we decided to go ahead. We figured out the problems the project had, which finally caused the failure.
Dave and i took over the project (we're the leaders now), gave it a new name, changed huge parts of it's storyline, i remade all of the graphics with a very consistent style to make them look professional, and so on and so on.

Now we're Apeiron Studios, a (partly) new team of developers with a complete new game and what we aim for, is quality as professional as it's possible, and that wasn't realizable with 10 totally different graphic designers in the matter of talent and skills.

But finally, at the very beginning of 2011, programmer Nico became part of our team. We're so happy with that, and since then, it's the first time the project can go ahead without any hurdles ever, and we've made big advantages this year!
Seriously, i would say Nico is the very best programmer for the Wintermute Engine, except of the developer himself of course.

So now everything's fine, except of the fact, that Simon and i are the two only graphic designers for ROTT, although he hasn't that much time to spend into the project and i'm responsible for 95% of the graphics - I think you can imagine how much work it is. So new graphic designers, who are able to fit there skills perfectly to our graphics style, would be welcome in our team!

But i'm sure we will make it, no matter how long it will take. Our team is small, but we're complete and all of us fit perfectly to each other - that's our hugest strength. And i'm pretty sure that we will be able to release our Demo somewhen in 2012.

Last but not least, some current screenshots:

Keep us in mind!

Last edited by purple; 12-22-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #35
Freeware Co-ordinator

Will do, glad to hear everything is up and running again after what sounds like a tough time.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #36

The game looks as polished as those recent remasters of Monkey Island. My only issue with the game is that it looks like it'll stick with the old SCUMM interface. While that's great for purists and for a nostalgic trip, I doubt newcomers and other people in general will appreciate it. By today's standards, it's a pretty clunky and slow way to navigate an adventure game. Will there be an option to switch to a more streamlined, modern interface?

Also, I'm wondering if there were any specific reasons why you guys left Visionaire for Wintermute. I'm interested in learning how to make small adventure games, and I've always wondered about the different engines out there.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #37

Default Re: Return of the Tentacle (DOTT2)

Hi Purple!

When you've written here (in June 2010) of "new direction" with regard DOTT2, I thought that all the past problems had been solved, and yet now we learn that shortly after that news, everything was put back into question, unfortunately.

Now I can only wish the team lots of luck for the realization of this dream. We are many, us fans, who expect to play DOTT2!

Looking through your forum, I noticed on this page

http://board.returnofthetentacle.de/...c.php?f=6&t=85

that in the past have been made ​​AT LEAST two demos of this game! WOW! But those demos was never released...

We fans knew nothing of all this, (at least the non-German ones) and it has been a real surprise for me!

I know that those versions are now obsolete and no longer reflect the current direction of the game, but (just for a gift for the Christmas holidays) can you make them available to us fans, who are waiting for many years this beautiful game?

(excuse me for my English: I'm Italian...)

Again, lots of luck for DOTT2, and above all happy and joyous holidays, even for a wonderful 2012!

Ciao ciao from Italy!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:15 AM   #38

Thanks for your kind words, people!

@Peter:
Thanks.
But i'm afraid there won't be an alternative interface to play with.
A year ago at the beginning of our relaunch, there's been a team intern discussion about that. And considering our personally visions and the most fans wishes (!), we decided to stay old school (apart from the nostalgic trip).
Meanwhile i know a lot of people, who are very comfortable with the original interface, because it has still a handy and clear arranged design.
For the most of the people it has nostalgic reasons indeed, but there are also some of them thinking positive about our interface who didn't even know the original game before growing up, so partly there isn't a reference to the gamers childhood, too.
There's just no need for an exchange, and in the matter of programming, a second interface with another usage would make it much more complicated to integrate it.

About the engines.
That's a very legitimate question, and i've already answered that for a lot of times in german. So here comes the premiere for the english colleagues.
Well, Visionaire and Wintermute are two totally different engines, you can't really compare them.
Visionaire is a great, user-friendly tool with which you can easily develop your own game. You don't even have to be a programmer to do that, there is nothing about scripting, just clicking around with your mouse. Maybe Visionaire has made advantages with some new features and that kind of stuff till this day, i really don't know, but in fact it's a huge reduction for a very advanced, if not professional programmer.
At the beginning of the project, the team was built up of children, with no experience and very decent skills and standards. But in spring 2010 the programmer (the one who left us, but he's working job-related as a programmer today) told us that he doesn't wanna work with that anymore.
Too many features were missing and we began getting more and more unsatisfied with the whole gameplay.
Of course it's been a huge step, and we were thinking about that for weeks, not to mention our bad conscience toward the Visionaire Team. But he already knew WME from some of his private scripting experiments and told us for many times, that WME definitely would be the better option for experienced programmers.
In WME, you can do everything by yourself, and there are uncountable possibilities.
And honestly, he was right and the first results with WME were mind-blowing.

Unfortunately he left the project a few months later, but as i said, Nico is the man for that. Not to think about, what we were doing today without WME.

@Giocherellone:
Worth consideration!
Seriously, i'm thinking about that.
Maybe it would be a nice, small christmas gift, but i would have to contact one of the originators. We'll see.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #39

Default Re: Return of the Tentacle (DOTT2)

WOW interesting news!

Thanks, purple ... keep us updated!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #40

You can count on that.

Btw: Indeed it's in discussion to release one of the oldest test-demos by the TRAM-team from about 2003 as a gag.
But it's not easy to reach one of them, they're not that often online.
Gotta get those demos.
Maybe it will last till January.

Last edited by purple; 12-28-2011 at 07:32 PM.