You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
The hell of it all

Default Night Train

Hi there

Just wanting to guage peoples thoughts on graphics for an upcoming indie game, Night Train. This is a render from the game, let me know what you think to the graphic style and quality. Does it live up to the standard of todays games?

Paul

Last edited by paul1275; 05-18-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
J.H
Frak.

It looks good to me pal, is it a first person game?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #3

Though there isn't much there there, it looks fine to me too. Better than necessary even.

What matters most is the game.

There are a lot of very, very pretty... and very inane... "games". That's a problem. That's unnecessary.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #4

Looks good, I like the lighting. Will be good to see more as it comes...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 05-20-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
J.H
Frak.

Could you give us any info on the actual game?
Old 05-20-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
The hell of it all

Hi there

Thanks for the feedback so far. The game is 1st person and takes place in the 1920's and the turn of the 30's. The story is set around a woman who is looking back at memories from growing up. She begins her story on a Night Train where she is looking back on her life. Each of these memories will take you a step further to finding out why she is on the train and where she is going.

There will be full voice acting, an original soundtrack and 8 memories to explore.

The image that you see is a very early render experimenting with lighting and textures.

Thanks for your feedback!

Paul
Old 05-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

First, like Lana says, don't worry about the graphics too much just yet. Building the game itself is the most challenging part, especially if it's your first (Is it?).

The window with the curtains looks good, the rest of the image desperately needs more detail, as well as a sense of why we are looking at that specific room corner. I mean, as a tech test it is totally ok, but it's a fairly typical render and before you add in there anything that defines the image's purpose, it's difficult to evaluate its quality.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
The hell of it all

Hi Ascovel

This is my first game and this is how it stands right now.

The script has been written and fully voiced.
All the puzzles have been designed.

I am now building the locations for the game.
The scripting for the puzzles have been completed and now require the graphics.

The render that you have seen is just to gauge the quality of the image. It is nowhere near the final stage.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
J.H
Frak.

Sounds like a nice game concept, although I'm not a fan of 1st person adventure I'll try this one when the demo comes out the story and time period in which it's set sounds intriguing.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
The hell of it all

Here is another render from the same room. Again it's still early stages. A number of pictures need to be added plus a bit more furniture.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
J.H
Frak.

Looks a little flat and slightly jagged but like everyone said it's the story that matters, these graphics definitely make the grade.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
Hol
3D artist

I think the depth of field on that render is a bit off - I don't think the room is big enough for it to get that blurry in the far corner. The desk top texture (leather?) needs scaling down imo.
The UVs may also be wrong on the wood at the back of the chair's seat cushion, (the wood grain going in the wrong direction) though I can't quite see for sure.
A petty thing of mine - I would model the drawer handles rather than using just a photo texture. Things like that annoy me, but obviously its your artistic decision at the end of the day.

Otherwise your renders are looking decent quality, great for indie adventure stuff. I'm excited to see more. You using the wintermute engine?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
The hell of it all

Hello everyone!!

Thanks again for all the feedback. This is a massive learning curve for me as a developer.

Firstly, let me point out that my weakness as a developer is my 3D. This has been the element that has worried me for many years and probably held me back from making my first game. As I look at people such as J.H and Sughly, I am amazed at the technical and graphical accomplishments of indie developers. Thanks to the comments here, I think I'm ready to put those concerns to one side. Thanks once again.

To answer Hol...

Yes I am using Wintermute. For over a year I have been playing with AGS and Wintermute, but the release of Windows 7 put the nail in the coffin sadly and Wintermute won the day. I have to say that the community within the Wintermute forums have been a god send in terms of development. It's great to see that people are so committed to promoting, developing and enthusing indie games!

I think I will take the advice here and move to complete the demo. A lot of the graphics will improve, but I have the workings to complete the game (Which is essential).

The great thing about the process that I have gone through (i.e. Develop story, write the script, plan the puzzles, graphics and then coding) has helped me find a structure to the design. By doing this I know my game inside out.

Thanks for the encouragement and I hope to bring you something to play real soon!
Old 05-22-2010, 01:56 AM   #14
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1275 View Post
For over a year I have been playing with AGS and Wintermute, but the release of Windows 7 put the nail in the coffin sadly and Wintermute won the day.
I wonder what you mean by that. Are there problems with AGS and Windows 7?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #15
The hell of it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
I wonder what you mean by that. Are there problems with AGS and Windows 7?
Sorry Trumgottist. My bad. Adventure Maker had the comparability issues not AGS. AGS simply lost out as I had worked so long with the Wintermute engine that I didn't want to change. It was the mere fact that 'The Lost Crown' and 'Lost Souls' were produced on Wintermute that I finally settled with that engine.

I originally went to Adventure Maker because of it's iPhone compatabiliy. But the compatabiliy is very limited and apple have changed there user licence so development with these 3rd party tools are no longer allowed.

What engines are people using out there and why?