You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Default Snakes of Avalon - my 2nd adventure game!

Hail underground adventure gamers!

The time has come to ask yourself, just how much do you like snakes?

Very soon, together with Alex van der Wijst (creator of The Winter Rose reviewed here at AG), we will be releasing a short, but very animated and trippy adventure game titled Snakes of Avalon. The game is already playable all through, practically done, we're just adding some final polish for a public release.

Here is a mysterious detail/teaser:

and a screen from the intro:

and here's a storyline teaser:

Jack's typical, peaceful day at Avalon is slowly turning into a nightmare. First, he lost all his money a few days earlier than expected. Then he overheard a pair of deranged maniacs plotting a terrible murder. Jack feels obligated to interfere with these plans. Too bad he is a hopelessly addicted, complete drunkard, who barely manages not to kill himself while walking around the bar and not getting a heart attack when being harassed by various species of magical creatures inhabiting his brain. The weak bladder goes without saying.

To be continued...

Last edited by Ascovel; 05-16-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

No people here are interested in my game?

Well, what about an in-depth coverage of the latest MAGS competition with detailed impressions from the beta of our Snakes?

And a new screenie, that shows much more of how the game is like:

Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

I have posted my writeup about Snakes Of Avalon at Slightly Deranged:
http://www.slightly-deranged.com/?page_id=1389

The game is definitely worth a look!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #4

Sorry Ascovel - I didn't see this before. I'm up for trying it out for sure! Interesting design and perspective in that screen shot.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Thanks Agustin and Sughly.

The final version of the game might have a few important updates, but I'm certainly interested in feedback for the current version too.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
J.H
Frak.

The thought of controlling an alcoholic sounds hilarious, will definitely have a look.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Yes, if all works well, the game will put a few people off drinking.

btw watch this space for the teaser trailer to appear in a few days.

And also for the revelation of our music composer's identity, whose previous works I think quite a few people here know already... from much better known game titles.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
Freeware Co-ordinator

Barrington Pheloung?

Looking good.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Barrington Pheloung?
We were considering Pheloung, but we found someone better suited for the job.

I mean, as far as adventure games go Pheloung only worked on Broken Sword. Our composer worked on a few more well loved titles, including, what I would at this point call, a comparably popular adventure game series.

But I guess he didn't do anything as surreal and grotesque as Snakes of Avalon yet...

Anyway, here's the last still image before the teaser trailer arrives:

Old 06-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #10

Is "Frantic Franko" finished?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Glad you ask.

Unfortunately, Frantic Franko is still a couple of months away. But you can play a long demo (to be found here).

It is like this... After getting the Best Demo Award and, later, building a roughly playable full version of Franko I took a deep, long look at the game. It became apparent the already finished segments got so polished and elaborate through my continuous tinkering that I'm looking at at least a few more months of work to get the rest of the game to match that quality. This made me feel like I need a recharge. I decided I need to take a short break from Frantic Franko to gather new energy.

That's where Snakes of Avalon comes in. It is a quickly developed, short, but unique and very animated game. Could be in many ways better than Franko - definitely different. It also gave me the opportunity to work together with 2 people I admired - one for a couple of really excellent indie games, and the other for great game soundtracks. Franko doesn't have such star-power (well, except the poems from stepurhan ).

The current release dates for the dates are as follows:

Snakes of Avalon - 15th July 2010
(teaser trailer for Snakes in a day or two!)
Frantic Franko - late 2010

Last edited by Ascovel; 06-19-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #12

Ah. So.

Okay. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

the teaser trailer, the secret composers' identity and more you can find in this new thread devoted specifically to the trailer.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:47 AM   #14
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

A subtle, but important update of the bar interior background. You can compare to the screenshot a few posts above:

Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
Game Creator Hobbyist

I spotted the difference.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #16
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

The game is a bit late (because of heat, renovations etc.). It should be out the second week of August without further delays.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #17

Looking forward to it. I really like the art style- reminds me of something that would be in an underground comic (like something out of RAW or Fantagraphics).
Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockradiospeakers View Post
Looking forward to it. I really like the art style- reminds me of something that would be in an underground comic (like something out of RAW or Fantagraphics).
Thanks very much, clockradiospeakers! That's the best compliment about the game's graphics we received so far!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:22 AM   #19
Freeware Co-ordinator

It's now well past the second week in August. Hope there haven't been any major problems causing delays. Any news on a final release date?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
It's now well past the second week in August. Hope there haven't been any major problems causing delays. Any news on a final release date?
Snakes of Avalon is almost ready, we're just bringing a few last scenes up to the standards of the rest in terms of production values.

We did have some major hardware problems actually. I've spent one week of August solely on rebuilding and reinstalling everything for my PC. This did take its toll on the development.

Nevertheless, we're very close to releasing the game now. I have much more limited free time at the moment, so these are are really crazy final days. And because of that change of pace, I already did misjudge earlier how long will these final touches take.

The 2nd day of September is my best bet.

Last edited by Ascovel; 08-27-2010 at 08:42 AM.