You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Default Development blog - The Pier

This is my first post, although I've been lurking on the site for a while (and played adventure games since the first Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, and Infocom text adventures on C64).

I'm developing my very first game, a comic book styled indie adventure game for the iPhone called The Pier. There's still quite a long way to go, but in the meantime, I have a development blog at http://juhog.wordpress.com/. It's a bit lonely at the moment, so feel free to stop by and leave a comment I'm planning to write more about game design, art and maybe even some tech stuff. Any feedback is appreciated and will keep me going - with a full-time job (outside of any related field), family life etc., it's sometimes difficult to find time to work on this labor of love.

I'll also keep following this thread, in case someone wants to chat about the game.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #2

Looks great juho, please keep us updated.
Screenshots looks awesome too

i'm glad more developer work on adventure game on iphone.
What we have right now mostly just ports of old games (which i already finished couple times before ).

I'm planning to work on one myself, but still have a long way to go too since i'm doing it on my spare time.

Are you using cocos2d by any chance ? how was the learning curve on that one... i plan to use Unity since that's what i'm familiar with.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the encouragement!

Yes, I'm using Cocos2D. I've found it quite easy and straightforward to pick up. I had a very slow start, though, as I just started tinkering with the iPhone SDK and Cocos2d and toying with the idea of making a game, but I don't see why anyone with some game development experience would find it difficult to adopt.

To me, pretty much everything is new, so there's a good amount of Google searches and trial-and-error involved in the development process. It's quite easy to find help online, seems like a lot of people are using Cocos2D.

Unity looks very impressive. Who knows, maybe someday in the far, far future, I'll start tinkering with it But first things first, back to my current project.. I'll keep you updated, as I make progress.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #4

A quick update as promised - working hard, both in my real job as well as in evenings on the game, I've still managed to write a couple of new blog posts since the last time I wrote to this thread. This time with a more technical focus, a little bit about the overall scene structure and the image masks I'm using.

On the game itself, progress is slow but steady.
Now, back to Photoshop..