You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #41

Well, that was the idea behind the project, but the only part of the project that was produced so far was the combination of the first two chapters. (out of 9 that were written) So allowing this release would have resulted in more new loose ends created than tied up. (which would be in Activision's interest) I don't think the game's content played a major role in the decision to send that C&D letter.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
Why throw everything away??? Why not change the names, play with the concept a little, and release it as something non-KQ related? It just seems wasteful to throw away eight years(????) of hard work.
Yea.. I hate to say this.. as we all love these fan remakes.. I mean they are just insanely fun and awesome.. do not get me wrong we all love them and appreciate them and are in awe of the work these fan projects represent... . .

but.. yea.. with all that work.. why not just do something original in the 1st place? The adventure community would probably love that as well.

Really sad news though.. I wounder about the other remake projects floating about...
Old 04-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #43

I don't think AGDI is in direct danger right now. The updated version of KQ2VGA was given an okay when Activision was already in charge. (although that okay was somewhat reluctant)

There's talk among the TSL head honchos of purchasing a commercial license from Activision right now. Maybe they'll bite. It wouldn't really fit into Activision's known business strategy, but who knows...

Old 04-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpy View Post
I don't think AGDI is in direct danger right now. The updated version of KQ2VGA was given an okay when Activision was already in charge. (although that okay was somewhat reluctant)

There's talk among the TSL head honchos of purchasing a commercial license from Activision right now. Maybe they'll bite. It wouldn't really fit into Activision's known business strategy, but who knows...

Yea! I agree that OK be relunteant!

It's unfair how activision nail TSL but not AGDI!

Hopefully activision smart up a bit!

Yes, by POS purchasing commercial license might be right step!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat44 View Post
Yes, by POS purchasing commercial license might be right step!
If they went "legit" they would have to step up there game, activision would only be into it if it was a competition for something like MI:SE or Telltale etc etc.... as in console rdy and 1080p
Old 04-25-2010, 03:15 AM   #46

Quote:
Yea! I agree that OK be relunteant!

It's unfair how activision nail TSL but not AGDI!
You don't really know the specifics of AGDI's circumstances and TSL's, so it's not unlikely you're comparing apples and oranges here.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #47

It seems quiet at TSL.

So what's latest developpements or news?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:48 AM   #48

There is news now.

http://kotaku.com/5529809/the-sequel...surprise-twist

This also answers your question why TSL was "nailed" and not AGDI.

It seems they're talking to Activision now, but whether we're talking about a fan license or a commercial license/franchise transfer is still not clear. It's an interesting development though.

Last edited by Erpy; 05-04-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #49

Quote:
I saw this, but the article was so long I cared not to read it (also a little too busy with uni work to indulge in such lengthy articles). Anyone care to summarise for little ol' me what this new turn of events entails?

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 05-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #50

Quote:
There is news now.

http://kotaku.com/5529809/the-sequel...surprise-twist

This also answers your question why TSL was "nailed" and not AGDI.

It seems they're talking to Activision now, but whether we're talking about a fan license or a commercial license/franchise transfer is still not clear. It's an interesting development though.

Excellent document, but I failed to see why TSL was nailed and not AGDI inside.

Can you explain?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #51

Quote:
Anyone care to summarise for little ol' me what this new turn of events entails?
A large part of the article simply covers the history of the project and the circumstances that had to do with the second C&D. The "news"-part would be the fact Activision now seems willing to talk to the team to see if something can be worked out, but it remains somewhat unclear whether we're talking about a fan license, a commercial license or the buying of a franchise here.

Quote:
Excellent document, but I failed to see why TSL was nailed and not AGDI inside.

Can you explain?
Please read the part again where the signed contracts were mentioned. It's in there.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #52

Quote:
A large part of the article simply covers the history of the project and the circumstances that had to do with the second C&D. The "news"-part would be the fact Activision now seems willing to talk to the team to see if something can be worked out, but it remains somewhat unclear whether we're talking about a fan license, a commercial license or the buying of a franchise here.

Please read the part again where the signed contracts were mentioned. It's in there.
Although I still don't understand area with "TSL and AGDI", at least Activision is responding!

Special thank you also to Kotaku for his persistant with that company!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Ah, i see. Seems that Activision has a little bit of soul, after all. Unless they are looking at this as just another project they can leech money off

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 05-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #54

Quote:
Although I still don't understand area with "TSL and AGDI", at least Activision is responding!
Activision did not actually revoke any licenses, the procedure that would have finalized TSL's fan license was simply never completed properly. In order to complete the licensing procedure, the team was expected to send a signed contract (a physical copy) from each individual member to Vivendi and only then would the fan license be official. But that never happened. The team did send virtual signatures over to VU, but that was insufficient, it seems.

The Activision/VU merger was apparantly somewhat chaotic and those digital signatures never even made the transfer, so when the TSL team approached Activision, not only did it turn out that their fan license was still work-in-progress, but since those digital signatures were lost and no physical contracts were sent, Activision didn't even know there was ever an agreement to begin with. Also, since it was now Activision who had to GRANT them a license (instead of merely acknowledging an existing one) the contract would have to be rewritten by their legal department since the old one still mentioned Vivendi. Activision didn't want to put any of their lawyers' man hours into redrafting the contract and gathering physical signatures, so instead they dropped the whole deal and sent a Cease & Desist instead.

When I asked the TSL team how on earth this could have happened, I was told that there had been many miscommunications on both sides.

So both sides share some responsibility for the second shutdown. Activision was being lazy and nasty, but Activision merged with Vivendi about 2.5 years after the initial C&D was revoked, so that fan license should have been finished up way before the merger, fine prints and all.

So the reason AGDI did not get into trouble was because we've been working with physical contracts from the start and we didn't run into said license troubles. Make no mistake, I think it's good the TSL team gets another chance to release their project, but that license deal was really a bit of a wallbanger for them.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #55

Ok, it clear as to why Activision didn't know of such agreement

How on earth can Activision approaches their lawyers without digital/phycical signatures?
This purely laziness!

It seen the blame falls more on VU!

Let's hope that VU and Activsion realize the pain they're causing.

Since Activision is responding, is it possible to assume the above?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #56

That's not what I said. Maybe you should read my previous post again for comprehension instead of speed this time around.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #57

Ok, I re-read original post and have few questions:

Since you said "digital signatures were lost and no physical contracts sent, who is to be blame?

How was C&D from VU revoked in the first place?
Document or by email?

Again if the blame doesn't fall on VU and Activision then I don't know!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #58

Great article. The article mentions:

"...they had heard a rumor — one Activision wouldn't comment on to Kotaku — that the company had tried to sell the King's Quest series a couple of years ago. And maybe, for the price they heard it was going for, for $25,000 or $75,000, these fan developers would be able to buy it. "

I'm not sure what to make of these figures.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #59

Quote:
Ok, I re-read original post and have few questions:

Since you said "digital signatures were lost and no physical contracts sent, who is to be blame?

How was C&D from VU revoked in the first place?
Document or by email?

Again if the blame doesn't fall on VU and Activision then I don't know!
You're not making a great deal of sense to me and I think you're confusing two things. It doesn't matter if the C&D from VU was revoked by mail, letter or phone call. Presumably a phone call. But those contracts have nothing to do with a C&D. When VU in 2005 agreed with POS to let them continue under a fan license, the C&D was revoked and procedures were started to construct said fan license. It turns out communication errors affected the results of these procedures negatively.

If you really, really want to blame people, both VU and POS messed up to some degree but I find it very difficult to believe either party did so on purpose.

Quote:
I'm not sure what to make of these figures.
I didn't either. $25,000 is what I expected a license to cost, not a franchise. Seeing that owning a franchise allows you to make money off the sales of existing games, license it out to third parties and start an unlimited amount of projects based on the IP, I expected a franchise that is as well-known as KQ to be at least a million dollar or so. But I could have been mistaken.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #60

Quote:
You're not making a great deal of sense to me and I think you're confusing two things. It doesn't matter if the C&D from VU was revoked by mail, letter or phone call. Presumably a phone call. But those contracts have nothing to do with a C&D. When VU in 2005 agreed with POS to let them continue under a fan license, the C&D was revoked and procedures were started to construct said fan license. It turns out communication errors affected the results of these procedures negatively.

If you really, really want to blame people, both VU and POS messed up to some degree but I find it very difficult to believe either party did so on purpose.

I didn't either. $25,000 is what I expected a license to cost, not a franchise. Seeing that owning a franchise allows you to make money off the sales of existing games, license it out to third parties and start an unlimited amount of projects based on the IP, I expected a franchise that is as well-known as KQ to be at least a million dollar or so. But I could have been mistaken.

Yea, communication errors indeed!
Regardless what VU and Activision done, at least they're trying making things right!

Regarding franchise, I did recalled reading something about 1 million but I don't exactly remember where.