You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #21

The TSL project was initially set up to feature 9 chapters and the first 2 chapters were what was submitted to Activision for pre-release approval. It was already mentioned in their news section that unless they could strike a deal to make the remaining chapters a commercial endeavour, those first 2 chapters would be the only ones produced and released.

I can imagine, seeing how long a road it has been and how long the road would still be if the project were to continue beyond the first chapters, that if chapter 1 and 2 had been released and it was then decided the remaining ones couldn't be made commercially, some of the team members may have felt relieved. But not now...even if development has been hell, everyone who works on a project wants to see it released and draw reactions from the fans. No...numbness, maybe, but definitely not relief.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11 View Post
In this case Activision is risking a lot with relatively little to gain. A free game will devalue the IP (the last one was free, why pay $40-$50 for the next one). A bad game will devalue the IP. Without control of content, an inappropriate easter egg or off color comment in the game could devalue the IP.

Could a free fan created game foster a huge resurgence in demand for a new game? Possibly, I guess, but there hasn't been anything even close to a precedent for that, so hanging your hat on that is even a risk. I find it hard to believe that a fan made game that seemingly is very retro, would generate any renewed interest outside of the core adventure game audience who already has enough interest in another KQ game.

So where is the reward here for Activision to make it worth the risk?
The free rerelease of Beneath the Steel Sky heightened considerably the interest for a sequel. Publishers release quite often former series titles to promote an upcoming one. So it's definitely not without precedent. It seems to work quite well, otherwise they wouldn't do it.
I can't tell how Broken Sword 2.5 affected the sales of the commercial Broken Sword titles, but the release of a Director's Cut for the first part makes me assume that it could have heightened the interest for the older 2D titles.

Anyway, your argument makes zero sense to me. Why? Well, let's take a look at the situation out of the eyes of fans of and newcomers to the series.

Fans who already own the games are probably delighted by the fan adventure. They'll be reminded of the good times they had with the oldies and so may be more fond of them again. Even if the game might be bad they might think "nah, the old ones were much better" and may also take another look at them. So, a fan adventure may be good advertisement for an upcoming title. Or even just for a rerelease!
Some players may not want to bother with reconfiguration of the old DOS games under their modern operating system, so they shell out some bucks for the preconfigured versions on Steam or GOG.com. If Activision was clever, it would use The Silver Lining as a marketing tool to promote their old titles.

And newcomers? Well, without the fan adventure they wouldn't know anything about the games in the first place and wouldn't buy them. Thanks to the fan adventure, though, they may take a look at the older titles if they liked it. They may want to find out how everything started, what the roots of the story are.
I could understand if Activision had an interest that the fan adventure is of good quality, but I think there's no doubt about it that it is, otherwise Vivendi wouldn't have granted the license in the first place.
I see no risk at all. What damage could even a bad fan adventure do? If it's bad, it wouldn't feature prominently on download or to the genre devoted sites.
So even from a sole commercial perspective Activision shoots itself in the foot here. Like I said, they just want to be jerks, as with the latest incident with the bouncers at Infinity Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree
I hate to agree with this, but I think you're right. To be honest, I wonder if the team in general are quite releaved this has happened. I know a lot of work has gone in but I think this project has come to hang over their heads and in some ways it has been disappointment after disappointment in the face of a lot of support and enthusiasm. Definitely sorry to see this one go.
They were ready for release, that's why they sent it for approval, right? So I don't know how you can assume that the team members might be relieved...

Last edited by ozzie; 03-02-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #23

The fans of the project are trying to save it (it worked once before, when Vivendi C&D'd it the first time). The "Save TSL" website is here.

It may not work, but it can't hurt. I'll be firing off my letters and emails forthwith, now that I know where to send 'em.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #24
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea ex Machina View Post
The fans of the project are trying to save it (it worked once before, when Vivendi C&D'd it the first time). The "Save TSL" website is here.

It may not work, but it can't hurt. I'll be firing off my letters and emails forthwith, now that I know where to send 'em.
Link doesn't work for me...
Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #25
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Sorry to go off-topic, but what did Valve do to join your black list? Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Valve? Really? They are the most community and mod friendly developer out there. Actually they are the complete opposite of Activision
Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom View Post
I mean I can understand Ubisoft (horrible DRM), EA, and Activision.

At least thats the reason I hate Activision...besides the whole reason this thread was started obviously.
DRM in all of their PC games. I know a great deal of people has now gotten used to Steam and even consider it the least intrusive form of DRM but I'm still against it, not the mention the buggy offline mode. Granted, I have an active Steam account and a few games but they all fall under the "cheap as a rental" category. Also steam offers no refunds.

On Topic: Signed the petition.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:48 AM   #26
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
They were ready for release, that's why they sent it for approval, right? So I don't know how you can assume that the team members might be relieved...
Firstly, I don't assume, I wonder! Although I am an idiot who can't spell relieved properly!

It's not based on anything concrete beyond what I have seen of this project over the years. When it started up it was mainly people who were at school/university with bucket loads of free time and enthusiasm. Obviously real life in the ensuing years swallowed a lot of productivity and including delays of the cease and desist of 2005 and other periods where for one reason or another little work was done on the game it must have been massively disheartening for those working on it. Plans had to be modified to drop the bulk of the game from production and the finished product was becoming smaller and smaller and further and further away.

8 years is a very long time in terms of game development of any kind with only a demo to show for it (good as it was).

Also you have the problems of aging graphics, which simply will not look as good years down the line (and with every respect for all the artists involved, who are still a million times better than I am!)

Personally I got the feeling from the site that the whole thing was becoming a chore, and I don't blame them for feeling like that, I know I would have. To some extent then, I wonder if the team are not at least a little bit relieved that they can finally put this endeavour to rest and shift this 8 year weight from their shoulders. I'm not seeking to demean them in any way, but I know I would feel a bit like this in their circumstances.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #27

I don't get it. Why won't they simply change few names and bits of graphics to make it a new IP instead of KQ? That's what makers of freeware Space Hulk did in similiar situation
Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #28
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWerner View Post
I don't get it. Why won't they simply change few names and bits of graphics to make it a new IP instead of KQ? That's what makers of freeware Space Hulk did in similiar situation
Supposedly it is a fan game to the core - meaning, all the plotlines revolve around situations and relationships set up during the first 7 parts of the King's Quest series.

Last edited by Ascovel; 03-03-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #29

The project was not meant to be "merely another chapter" in the ongoing series...it was designed to be the definite finale of the series, tying up all the loose ends the preceding games left hanging. Removing the KQ elements from the project would cause it to fall to pieces.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #30

Pfft, this together with the whole Call of Duty firing debacle = no respect for Activision (not that I play COD, but that's beside the point).

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 03-06-2010, 03:32 AM   #31

There still some hope with those petitions!

As matter of fact and according to a moderator at TLS games, He heard that "Ken Williams" original creator of KQ has already sign that petition!

Therefore, don't give up just yet!

Get those petitions out and let activision knows that enough is enough!

Recall the petition against Virendi and how TLS got through!

It great to see original KQ creators getting involved.

Again, don't give up yet!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #32
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat44 View Post
There still some hope with those petitions!

As matter of fact and according to a moderator at TLS games, He heard that "Ken Williams" original creator of KQ has already sign that petition!

Therefore, don't give up just yet!

Get those petitions out and let activision knows that enough is enough!

Recall the petition against Virendi and how TLS got through!

It great to see original KQ creators getting involved.

Again, don't give up yet!
Whats the proof the Ken signed? Anyone can sign these petitions under any name they want.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #33
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat44 View Post
I always thought Roberta Williams was the creator of the series. She's the main person credited as such, anyway.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom View Post
Whats the proof the Ken signed? Anyone can sign these petitions under any name they want.
Well by checking TSL forum, few person mention that lots of former sierra game creators signed those in addition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
I always thought Roberta Williams was the creator of the series. She's the main person credited as such, anyway.
Yes, that right! I didn't meant to discredit her at all!

On an important suggestion found at TSL, someone suggested game informations be made known to shareholders from activision so they put motion on table! Going that route will shake activision big time!

Perhelps TSL can write game's information on all gamer's magazines especially the one that deal with corporations finances for shareholders to digest?

Of course, going to sharehold is if activision doesn't do a thing!

Regards

Last edited by splat44; 03-10-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #35

LOL, shareholders.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11 View Post
LOL, shareholders.
Opps, I typo error I made!

I just came across TSL website and they have a survey so all fans to complete, it free and email address is not require!
Any fans here?
Then I suggest you complete suvey:

http://www.esurveyspro.com/Survey.aspx?id=c18124e2-bb26-4626-a0d7-e5a8d0621065

This survey will used for activision to see!

Last edited by splat44; 03-12-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #37

No typo, I was just laughing at the prospect that shareholders in Activision Blizzard would care about them not granting free use of a company asset.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:06 AM   #38

Hi,

This just came out and this a followup interview with team:

http://www.shdon.com/blog/2010/03/14/the-silver-lining-followup-an-interview-with-the-team

After reading, I certain like that the teams might reconsider reworking game in case thing doesn't work with Activision. At least this better than dropping 8 years of work!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #39
Adventurer

Just sent Activision a huge e-mail, going to send them a template e-mail from two other e-mail accounts, and I've signed the petition.

I'm not an avid fan of KQ or TSL. I've only completed two of the KQ games, and I haven't kept myself regularily updated on TSL nor registered on their forum before now... But this pissed me off!

Just Finished: Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

Currently Playing: The Secrets of Atlantis
Old 03-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #40
Indie developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpy View Post
The project was not meant to be "merely another chapter" in the ongoing series...it was designed to be the definite finale of the series, tying up all the loose ends the preceding games left hanging. Removing the KQ elements from the project would cause it to fall to pieces.

If that is correct, then that migth be a huge problem, why would fans create a closure chapter? Activition (or anyone) woudnt like it for others to put an end to its IP

If it was to expand the series, but to finalize it? if this is the case im with Activition's decision.